• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: Your most complimented pair of shoes (that youre not afraid to wear regularly)

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen do not comment on other people's clothes. It's in bad taste and only the lower classes do this stuff. If you notice something you like you keep it to yourself.

This is the biggest bollocks I've read on this forum probably. I don't need to reel off countless examples, because everyone knows it is. Excuse my language, Your Highness.

I find it funny how some people on this forum imagine some fairy-tale upper-echelon of high-society where nobody swears and Emily Post is followed to the letter. I really doubt that has existed in an appreciable sense for the last half-century.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I feel sorry for you if those are the types of people you hang around. Sad.

He doesn't hang around with those kinds of people. He just imagines that he should. It's misguided aspirationalism masquerading as social knowledge. And those kinds of people are not what he imagines them to be at all anyway. I went to university with the kinds of upper class twits that Aqualung believes he knows about and they were, as a group, boorish, crude and had no manners whatsoever. There were nice individuals, of course.

Gorpomon

Reaction score
The ladies seem enjoy these, although, I think they're more attracted by the fact that I care about my shoes than the shoe itself. C'est la vie.

Same with me, I have shoes (very similar to yours) that get complimented, but the undercurrent is that people are just shocked I care about shoes enough to have a pair like this and know how to wear them. The women (mostly women) have told me several times they like that someone they know really tries. I should be asking if I'm executing well though

I always appreciate any compliment, but I have to admit, it is depressing that just trying in today's society is enough to elicit a compliment.

OH, and concerning:

Quote:
From what I can tell, that's the whole point of this forum, to comment and talk about clothes with people who care about them, in whatever capacity we wish to talk about them. If we all got together IRL and just ragged on scrubs in public, then that would be in bad taste (ragging on people at any time is in poor taste, you don't know their life circumstances), but talking about clothes with like-minded people on the internet be in bad taste? Hardly.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Reaction score
Looks like we have a lot of little insecure people here. I make one comment about how only the lower orders and middle classes are the ones who would comment on what a person is wearing and I'm attacked even for things I never said.

"I find it funny how some people on this forum imagine some fairy-tale upper-echelon of high-society where nobody swears and"

That's not relevant to what I said, and I would certainly know that better than you.

Monkey writes, "He doesn't hang around with those kinds of people. He just imagines that he should. It's misguided aspirationalism masquerading as social knowledge' blah blah blah

And you would know that? It sounds like you're just projecting your own insecurities onto me.
It must have been difficult for a working class kid like you whose mama taught him nice manners to have to deal with us lol
However, that's also irrelevant because my comment was about people making comments on what someone else is wearing, not their manners. Learn how to read and stop with all of the stupid projecting.

"The women (mostly women) have told me several times they like that someone they know really tries'

You're trying too hard, the sure sign of a prole. And why would you care what some dingbat female's opinion is?

Well, thank you all anyway for participating as guinea pigs in one of my little psychological studies.I'd like to say I learnrt something but you're all drearily predictable.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought these shoes at Bergdorf Goodman 5 years ago, and still wear them all the time. One of my most favorite shoes I own.
I've never worn them without atleast a few compliments.

Do you think they are noticing the monk strap, or is that covered by the pant when they see it?
If that is the case, they seem to be complimenting the squared off toe? (Or are brogues just that rare in your parts?)

Have lots of nice shoes that most folks are blind to... but these Peals from BB get noticed.

Wow, love these. I might need to pick up a pair.
I don't see them on the BB site.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523

Looks like we have a lot of little insecure people here. I make one comment about how only the lower orders and middle classes are the ones who would comment on what a person is wearing and I'm attacked even for things I never said.

It's because you're a pretentious douchebag. FlyingMonkey nailed it, you delusional tool. People compliment clothing all the time, in the real world. Now, go back to your Edith Wharton novels.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Reaction score
Do you think they are noticing the monk strap, or is that covered by the pant when they see it?
If that is the case, they seem to be complimenting the squared off toe? (Or are brogues just that rare in your parts?)
Wow, love these. I might need to pick up a pair.
I don't see them on the BB site.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523
It's because you're a pretentious douchebag. FlyingMonkey nailed it, you delusional tool. People compliment clothing all the time, in the real world. Now, go back to your Edith Wharton novels.

Only the lower classes who have nothing to do and can't talk about real topics.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^^ What are these if u don't mink me asking. My most complemented:
Tragic ....but that is what you see all over Sydney = bicycle toe shoes.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ladies and gentlemen do not comment on other people's clothes. It's in bad taste and only the lower classes do this stuff. If you notice something you like you keep it to yourself.

Clearly Sf is not a place for you then. There is much posting & discussion, as well as personal insight on footwear here. I suggest you search for a more "high-brow" forum to post (or not?).

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only marroquians compliment others on their clothes. :bigstar:

Ivon

Reaction score
I've only recently learned much about shoes in detail from the learned gentlemen who post here. Before that I just bought " correct" shoes from my menswear stores, prices of which more or less matched up with what I dropped on a suit, I.e. Zegna suit/Ferragamo or AE shoes, relying on guidance from a SA with whom I have a long standing relationship.

As for compliments, unless you run with SAs of SF types, most people don't know what you have on your feet other than a vague subjective notion of quality or style. That being said, when I do get compliments on my shoes, I've noticed that sleeker lasts, unusual colors or details are what gets noticed. My Ferragamo Novaxys get noticed (I love them), burgundy AE Sanfords and monks get compliments often. My AE PAs, Leeds and Byrons do not. Sole saleman definitely notice what ya got on, other than that, not many will care/comment. Just my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads