• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes with NO socks ?

B-Rogue

Reaction score
my view is that shoes sans socks is the dumbest fashion trend in the history of dumb fashion trends. first, I don't want to see a guy's disgusting leg hair poking out of his pants and second, who in their right mind would intentionally funk up a perfectly nice pair of shoes with their disgusting feet? pass

+1. On top of that it feels damn uncomfortable too.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my view is that shoes sans socks is the dumbest fashion trend in the history of dumb fashion trends. first, I don't want to see a guy's disgusting leg hair poking out of his pants and second, who in their right mind would intentionally funk up a perfectly nice pair of shoes with their disgusting feet? pass

sounds like you have some personal problems you need to work out.

first, some people don't have "disgusting" feet. And now leg hair is disgusting? I'm assuming then that you wear pants 100% of the time, including at the pool, the gym, the basketball court, the beach, etc.

Further, some people can afford to "funk up" $1,000 shoes if they see fit. what business is that of yours. Some don't see shoes as something to be coddled. Not to mention the proliferation of loafer socks that prevent said "funking up".

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with wearing shoes without socks. I wouldn't go sockless to the office, but am fine with the sockless look in any context where I can wear loafers during the summer.

Pretty common New England prep look.

You know, came in from a day of sailing, threw on the sport coat for dinner at the yacht club

+1.

Rincon

Reaction score
In the summer I never wear socks. Not to work with a suit and not afterwards with a blazer. Works great for me.

Geezer

Reaction score
I just don't get the no socks thing at all, except with something like espadrilles or sandals. Neither of which see much time on my feet.

I have spent a fair amount of time in horrendously hot places in Africa, South Asia and the Middle East (mid to high 40s C), and even (worst of all :)) hot and humid summers in Washington DC and never found the presence of socks to be a problem, even under boots.

Mankind invented shoes about X thousand years ago, and I suspect invented socks one day later.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore chelseas without socks with a suit once. It was laundry day.

Boat shoes with chinos or jeans without socks are fine, but in casual context only, so generally no tailored jacket.

AshScache

Reaction score
Unless I'm in court I never wear socks to the office on Fridays and prefer not to wear socks all weekend. Personally when when I have a pair of penny loafers that gets older they get demoted to being my sockless penny loafers-- that's a true sign of affection. Similarly I usually break in new boat shoes by wearing sweats socks for a while and then promoting them to being my sockless boat shoes once there Well broken in.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sandals, canvas sneakers and deck shoes are the only shoes I will wear sockless. If I want a sockless look on better shoes, I'll wear sockettes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads