• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: Who makes what for whom.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJMan
But Ferragamo doesn't make its own shoes either, right? The thlot plickens.
I've emailed Ferragamo with this question, as well as questions about the lasts used to construct various shoes in the Tramezza line, but I got no response. Perhaps they don't know which lasts are used by whomever is making their shoes....(this "last" statement is wild speculation) Edit: *Great* thread, by the way. We've needed to collect this information for some time.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For UK readers, I popped into John Lewis today and found out their own label shoes are made by Loake.

Not my personal cup of tea b/c of the uninspired styling (though they did have a halfway decent chukka boot) but the better ones are actually quite decent considering the price point if you're looking for a durable workhorse shoe.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey
No longer for Polo, except for the various Darlton models. According to Ron Rider, most of the English Polo shoes are now made by Sanders & Sanders.

So, how does one tell which are Sanders and which are Crockett? Also, when I was in the London C&J shop on Jermyn St. in March, the salesman was saying that they were the maker for all Polo English made. I wonder when the change happened.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Re. Wilson & Dean at Wilkes Bashford - it is a house label, like To Boot. They have used a variety of different makers, but most models you will see are Gravati.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
To have Brooks Aldens resoled - can you take them to BB or to Alden?

To Alden, you can send your shoes, those that were made by Alden, for Brooks Bros.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have one pair of Sanders & Sanders, a pair of shoes that they made for E.T. Wright's "Master's Collection" (of which all of the English ones are made by S&S). It's not a bad shoe, but it certainly isn't C&J. The leathers aren't as nice, nor is the finishing, nor is the sole. I've seen several of their models, and like mine, they're a nice shoe but nothing that would stop traffic.

I'm assuming... hoping... that Polo is requiring special upgrades for their Polo models, because most Sanders shoes that I've seen run in the $200 range or so (my shoe is a canvas oxford and was about $180 retail). Thus, if Polo is expecting to get $595 for only-slightly-better S&S shoes, I think they will have lots of complaints.

S&S are excellent quality for their original retail price ($200 or so), are welted, and are certainly better than most "designer" type shoes, but they aren't at all comparative to my C&J's, whether regular grade or the hand grade... as evident in the price difference.

John

mussel

Reaction score
Alden also makes for Façonnable. And supplies riding boots for the Masschusett State Troopers.

Morris

Reaction score
Brooks / Peal & Co. monk straps are indeed made by C&J. I inquired and received confirmation from C&J yesterday.

Peal & Co. Monk Strap
276H.jpg

C&J Grosvenor
Grosvenor_L.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all really cool guys, but just because a manufacturer X makes shoes for Company Y doesn't mean that X and Y shoes are of comparable quality. X just does stuff to Y's specifications. Just thought I'd point that out so that someone stumbling on this thread doesn't get puzzled when company Y's shoes are sometimes cheaper than X branded shoes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swededude
What about Paul Smith, who makes them? I bought a pair earlier this summer, the sole says "Handcrafted in Italy". Here's a pic of them:

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=093bmp8pi.jpg

Paul Smith in the past used Trickers and Crockett & Jones to make shoes for them. Recently I've seen its shoes marked made in India. I think Paul Smith uses whoever is cheap enough to get the job done, as would Ted Baker.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Paul Smith in the past used Trickers and Crockett & Jones to make shoes for them. Recently I've seen its shoes marked made in India. I think Paul Smith uses whoever is cheap enough to get the job done, as would Ted Baker.

London level shoes are "handmade" in India, the mainline and PS shoes are made in Italy. Actually, my mainline brogued boots came with a really nice heavy duty booklet detailing the construction process with tons of photos about how the boots were made. Brand self hype propaganda? I'm sure, but it's still a pretty nice booklet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads