• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes outside the usual suspects

sanmateo

Reaction score
I'm doing research for a possible story about bespoke shoes outside of the usual suspects ie. England and Italy.

So far, I've thought of Saint Crispins in (I think) Vienna, Koji Suzuki in Japan (Tokyo, I think) and Vass in Budapest. Any thoughts/info on those three would be much appreciated, but I'm also interested in any other ideas.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kaga

Reaction score
I'm doing research for a possible story about bespoke shoes outside of the usual suspects ie. England and Italy. So far, I've thought of Saint Crispins in (I think) Vienna, Koji Suzuki in Japan (Tokyo, I think) and Vass in Budapest. Any thoughts/info on those three would be much appreciated, but I'm also interested in any other ideas. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
If my memory serves me correctly, there is an Iron Shoemaker in Warsaw, Poland, by the name of Jan Kielmann. IMMSMC there are also Himer & Himer in Baden-Baden, Taylor and Son in London, Perry Ercolino in New York, Pierre Corthay, Aubercy, Berluti, Raymond Massaro, Altan and Marc Guyot in Paris (as well as John Lobb Paris), Georg Materna in Vienna, Peron e Peron in Spain, and I am sure there are many others about whom my memory does not serve me correctly. ALLEZ CUISINE.........

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Apparently Perry Ercolino no longer goes to New York regularly and works out of his place in Doylestown. Mr.Ercolino used to meet clients at Leonard Logsdail's shop.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, never talked to them. Jann Melkersson in Sweden, though. If you are in need of direction, you should contact D.A. Saguto at the Williamsburg, Virginia Historical Society - the Shoemaking Shop.
Here's a website set up by a Japanese client of Mr. Melkersson. The interesting thing about him (Mr. Melkersson, I mean) is that he apparently is a former pupil of Tex Robin, a well-known Texas bootmaker. How many Swedes could there possibly be who know how to make a proper cowboy boot?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So far, I've thought of Saint Crispins in (I think) Vienna, Koji Suzuki in Japan (Tokyo, I think) and Vass in Budapest. Any thoughts/info on those three would be much appreciated, but I'm also interested in any other ideas.
Get yourself a copy of Vass's Handmade Shoes for Men and both volumes of the Japanese Mex's Ex The World of High-End Shoes. There are a number of rather obscure makers in each of those. Besides the ones others have already mentioned, there are also Oliver Moore and Vincent & Edgar in New York City.

MPS

Reaction score
I'm on a photo-taking rampage. Here is a photo of my bespoke Kow Hoo shoes from Hong Kong. They go well with my tweed suits:

MPS

Reaction score
Koji,

I bought them in 2000 and they were about HK$ 2700. I think that the quality is about level, or slightly better than the C & J regular line. They're happy to make shoes to your requirements (from last shape to the design of the shoe itself). The soles can be stitched aloft or channelled.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads