• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all, very interesting comments as always. I have seen those nails at that area before and I think they can put you in trouble. On the other hand I have a pair of shoes with less than that severe heel spring at the rubber top lift and the sensations while walking were not good at all. It is true that with much wear they are doing much better now.

alford78

Reaction score
Here are the matching marks on the pair of Paul Parkmans that I tried to explain as looking like tool marks.

More noticeable of the two.

Less noticeable

Anyone know for sure what took it could be?

Last edited:

benhour

Reaction score

Those look like they managed to run the fudge wheel right up the side of the shoe! :eek:

It's definitely the fudge wheel or a similar tool! It stops where the same marks /design stop at the welt ! You can use a conditioner alone or with a spoon and "spoon " the area down ( don't apply the conditioner only at the spot or you are going to end with a spot stain ) ! If I were you I would let the bee ! Nothing major to worry about !

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's definitely the fudge wheel or a similar tool! It stops where the same marks /design stop at the welt ! You can use a conditioner alone or with a spoon and "spoon " the area down ( don't apply the conditioner only at the spot or you are going to end with a spot stain ) ! If I were you I would let the bee ! Nothing major to worry about !

Fudge wheels are often heated, so removing those marks might be a bit difficult.

That said, I am puzzled how (and where) the tool was being used that it would...presumably...slip and mar the upper?

On the other hand, I've never seen fudging on the heel seat and none(?) on the welt itself.

??!!

alford78

Reaction score

Those look like they managed to run the fudge wheel right up the side of the shoe! :eek:

Fudge wheels are often heated, so removing those marks might be a bit difficult.

That said, I am puzzled how (and where) the tool was being used that it would...presumably...slip and mar the upper?

On the other hand, I've never seen fudging on the heel seat and none(?) on the welt itself.

??!!

Thanks guys! The owner said he would take them back and assured me every pair I order from now on will be looked at by higher QC so to speak. I am fine with them since one isn't noticeable and the other will be covered up in time by patina. Even the easier one to see can only been seen by me when the shoes are not on my feet so not a biggie; although, I did want to make sure it wouldn't happen again in the future.

Y'all are far more knowledgable than me but to me it looks like something with teeth was used there and pulling on the leather. If you look at the first pic up close you can tell what I mean much better than my terminology. I only say this because there is not a welt like would need that tool. It's a side handsewn welt. There is a tiny welt on the tip of the toe but the sides are smooth so to speak. But I do see marks on the heel area that is a welt of some sort but it's actually tucked up under the upper leather. Hope I explained that well enough. I can always take more pics.

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heel definitely looks like it's been fudged. That's the only way I can see those marks getting on the shoe. Albeit no idea how they managed it!

alford78

Reaction score

??!!

The lack of fudging on the welt and on being on the heel is because the welt stops at the heel and even the heel welt is tucked under the upper so don't know how used the wheel on the heel area after it was attached to the upper in this style of side soled welting.

Here is a side picture of the shoe

VegTan

Reaction score

Ugly, nasty and fun. That's what I'll say about sharkskin as a shoe material.

NOS vintage Florsheim Imperial long wing derbies with shark uppers and the usual burly features. Maybe someone on SF can date these according to the box.

Vintage_Florsheim_sharkskin_leather_shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Vintage_Florsheim_sharkskin_leather_shoes_at_Keikari_dot_com12.jpg

The box and the v-cleat position show the 60s to early 70s!

Filing Date November 5, 1984 (Registration Date July 23, 1985)
FIRST USE 8-0-1979; FIRST USE IN COMMERCE 8-0-1979.
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn73507306&docId=SPE20051103081359#docIndex=1&page=1
3aebd7ae.png

Dated October 1986
http://web.archive.org/web/20100507...tom-florsheim-imperial-norwegian-1986-43-435d
MVC-001L_61.JPG

MVC-005L_168.JPG

Please check the two alphabetical letters.
http://vcleat.com/florsheim-model-numbers-1950s-90s/

GH – Month/Year code (more on this below)

In Imperial models after 1973, the v-cleat position is inset within the heel toplift. Before that, the v-cleat was flush with the outside of the heel

sd2002

Reaction score
Just came back from Barcelona where I visited Norman Viilalta shop (from the shoes Snob blog).
Some amazing shoes. I am not really into boot considering where I live but I had to order this Chukka, and I see in my future one of his Decon chelsea in parinated suede. (Sorry I can figure how to post all the photos I'm single post)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love his work. Do you remember the prices? I'm not sure how much cheaper they are in Europe as compared to the States.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads