• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Considering that C&J makes them, how much of the AC price tag do you think comes from using higher quality leather?

If the assessment is based on their retail price with VAT, the calf skin they use are very refine, the heel treatment is one of the best for RTW (still far from bespoke), and the sleek last that is rather similar to the U last from Vass, but slightly narrower in the ball area. The AC range is also 9.5 handmade MTO, with the welt only machine stitched.

Overall, value is in the eye of beholder, but I do think the price does reflect its quality, in comparison I am not a fan of G&G deco, in the same sort of price range.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If the assessment is based on their retail price with VAT, the calf skin they use are very refine, the heel treatment is one of the best for RTW (still far from bespoke), and the sleek last that is rather similar to the U last from Vass, but slightly narrower in the ball area. The AC range is also 9.5 handmade MTO, with the welt only machine stitched.

Overall, value is in the eye of beholder, but I do think the price does reflect its quality, in comparison I am not a fan of G&G deco, in the same sort of price range.

Yeah I guess those fancy shoe trees are also included in the price.

Is the AC last based on an actual Anthony Cleverley design from the past? I recall Aubercy having some models based on old Anthony shoes.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AFAIK EG does AC for GC

But who are these Turks you speak of regarding AS?

Alfred Sargent is owned by some guys from Turkey, who took over after the last bankruptcy. Still Paul Sargent, Chay Cooper and co that run things though, just different owners.

Interesting. Considering that C&J makes them, how much of the AC price tag do you think comes from using higher quality leather?

AFAIK the majority of the work on the AC shoes are made in the C&J factory, but with more handwork (as Add911_11 mentions) than on C&J handgrade and with superior materials, and a slower process with high focus on details. Cleverley people is also supervising the process and all shoes go through the cleverly workshop for finish and inspection.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I guess those fancy shoe trees are also included in the price.

Is the AC last based on an actual Anthony Cleverley design from the past? I recall Aubercy having some models based on old Anthony shoes.

I am pretty sure they are based on the bespoke models, the shape looks very similar to my chisel toe GC bespoke models.

Alfred Sargent is owned by some guys from Turkey, who took over after the last bankruptcy. Still Paul Sargent, Chay Cooper and co that run things though, just different owners.
AFAIK the majority of the work on the AC shoes are made in the C&J factory, but with more handwork (as Add911_11 mentions) than on C&J handgrade and with superior materials, and a slower process with high focus on details. Cleverley people is also supervising the process and all shoes go through the cleverly workshop for finish and inspection.

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I can easily see C&J doing something similar (high end RTW) with their very own Dmitri supervising and inspecting...but as you implied earlier, C&J seems quite happy with how things are going right now....

Last edited:

claes500

Reaction score
I thought it was time for a group photo of some of my shoes!

From top L to R

Anthony Cleverley Bodie in Bourbon Calf, G&G Deco Bowlly in Midnight Blue, G&G Deco Holden in Deco Black, John Lobb Paris Philip II in misty calf, G&G Westbury in Racing Green on TG73, Edward Green Shannon III on last 82 in Cloud Antique

Bottom L to R

G&G St James II on TG73 in Vintage Cherry, G&G Connought on TG73 in Vintage Oak, G&G Oakham on MH71 in Vintage Rioja, G6G Hove in Chestnut Hatch Grain on TG73 and finally G&G Canterbury on DG70 in Burgundy cordovan

I also have 4 Vass and 4 C&Js so more coming up!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From top L to R

Anthony Cleverley Bodie in Bourbon Calf, G&G Deco Bowlly in Midnight Blue, G&G Deco Holden in Deco Black, John Lobb Paris Philip II in misty calf, G&G Westbury in Racing Green on TG73, Edward Green Shannon III on last 82 in Cloud Antique

Bottom L to R

G&G St James II on TG73 in Vintage Cherry, G&G Connought on TG73 in Vintage Oak, G&G Oakham on MH71 in Vintage Rioja, G6G Hove in Chestnut Hatch Grain on TG73 and finally G&G Canterbury on DG70 in Burgundy cordovan

Woo, that is a very good starter collection.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^starter collection? Damn, I hate to see how you'd categorize my shoes. I would love to see your collection.

Haha! my collection is properly not as nice as OPs. I haven't finish with my basic needs yet.

Gyasih, your collection will be undoubtably better. I am only a small timer here.

I guess a 11 shoe wardrobe is only starter for any dissenting gentlemen, be it all AE or all F&S bespoke.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can easily see C&J doing something similar (high end RTW) with their very own Dmitri supervising and inspecting...but as you implied earlier, C&J seems quite happy with how things are going right now....

Absolutely. And I think they would like to, they just can't with the way things are right now.

From top L to R

Bottom L to R

Really nice collection! I was actually just thinking about that when you posted your Anthony cleverley-shoes, that I would like to see the full collection of yours. When one has been hanging around the shoe threads here for a while one has learned that you picked up some nice goodies. Up with the Vass and C&J:s now as well!

claes500

Reaction score

Haha! my collection is properly not as nice as OPs. I haven't finish with my basic needs yet.

Gyasih, your collection will be undoubtably better. I am only a small timer here.

I guess a 11 shoe wardrobe is only starter for any dissenting gentlemen, be it all AE or all F&S bespoke.

:) I am somewhat of a starter since I feel I just begun wearing really great shoes (2.5 years) but I have 9 more shoes that I will post soon (4 Vass, 4 C&Js and one Carmina) I wonder how it will look in another 2.5 years (my wallet will look even worse :) )

Absolutely. And I think they would like to, they just can't with the way things are right now.
Really nice collection! I was actually just thinking about that when you posted your Anthony cleverley-shoes, that I would like to see the full collection of yours. When one has been hanging around the shoe threads here for a while one has learned that you picked up some nice goodies. Up with the Vass and C&J:s now as well!

Thank you Ingevaldsson! I will post my Vass and CJs and a Carmina as well soon (my GF thinks I am a mad man when I arrange my shoes on the floor so I will try when she's not around :D )

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From top L to R

Bottom L to R

ALways enjoy group shots. THANKS!

Pembers

Reaction score

From top L to R

Bottom L to R

Nice collection - thanks for posting.

What about suede? :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads