• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sent wife out for a Mother's Day massage... so put the kids to work with a coupla bottles of conditioner (I am a cruel taskmaster)!

About 2/3 of the collection of full skin Reptiles. Will give them food and water before starting the other 6 pairs. Exotic Spectators (with suede) require a steadier hand, so I'll do that myself next weekend (with a couple of Lagavulins of course).

IMG_6785_zps8df7e6a7.jpg

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice collection think this is around what I want once I'm 28 or so. Very clear styles throughout

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:) I am somewhat of a starter since I feel I just begun wearing really great shoes (2.5 years) but I have 9 more shoes that I will post soon (4 Vass, 4 C&Js and one Carmina) I wonder how it will look in another 2.5 years (my wallet will look even worse :) )

Your shoe collection starts up very well, all are iconic models. I am sure your collection is going to be awesome in 1-2 years time.
Now maybe is time to think about bespoke shoes.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every chap with enough cash to pile can arm himself with a warehouse full of JLPs, EGs or GGs until he is B/R. Vintage pairs are a different game entirely. The last hundred years has met with the fall of hundreds of makers, whose gems cannot be commissioned or bought in-store. This is why I feel collectors like Isshinryu are crucial: they preserve, value and inform fellow shoe nerds about the the days and shoes of yore. These are the true rough diamonds, waiting to be discovered. I'm out of claret at the moment, otherwise I'd raise a toast to Isshi's collection.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Every chap with enough cash to pile can arm himself with a warehouse full of JLPs, EGs or GGs until he is B/R. Vintage pairs are a different game entirely. The last hundred years has met with the fall of hundreds of makers, whose gems cannot be commissioned or bought in-store. This is why I feel collectors like Isshinryu are crucial: they preserve, value and inform fellow shoe nerds about the the days and shoes of yore. These are the true rough diamonds, waiting to be discovered. I'm out of claret at the moment, otherwise I'd raise a toast to Isshi's collection.

I respectfully disagree, of course any person with enough cash can buy anything. I'm sure there are millions of people out there with enough cash that don't even know/like this stuff. What if you don't like vintage things?(I don't) or what if you don't like most of the styles/lasts?.

I personally prefer modern Vass, GG etc. even if I had access to vintage stuff, honestly.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What if you don't like vintage things?(I don't) or what if you don't like most of the styles/lasts?.
I personally prefer modern Vass, GG etc. even if I had access to vintage stuff, honestly.

I understand this view, but in actuality, it is totally misinformed. There is no such thing as an "original style". The shapes of Bestetti, G&G, and all the rest are simply recycled from eras long gone. Of course there is nothing wrong with this... in fact it is a wonderful thing. When one says a general thing such as, "what if you don't like most of the styles/lasts", how to respond? Between the 1920's and the 1950's, they were ALL done. long & sleek, french toes, wide welts, welts cut so close to the uppers that it is amazing, exotics. Every style derby, oxford, norwegian and all the rest one can imagine. Eyelets? 2,3,4,5,6,7... all done. One cannot get caught up in the "Florsheim gunboat" as the epitomy of Vintage Shoes. In fact, that model didn't even come about until the very late 1950's and became popular in the 60's.

If you like sleek and elegant, the 20's & 30's is second to none. Balmoral boots will never be made as finely as they ere in the 1910's & 1920's. Gunboats... late 40's to 50's. Elegant Spades (which BESTETTI calls on heavily for his designs... although he likes to square the toe off a bit on his models), 30's & early 40's. Pointed toes... 50's. French toes... 1940's. They are all there. It is a matter of accepting that while G&G, JLP, and the other top of the top makers represent less than 1% of the modern shoe market. The very best of the best of the eras long past ALSO represent maybe 1%. Many will never get to see and handle them in person. For those that do, it is a real treat!

This said, I enjoy both modern and Vintage styles and makers. The only difference is that when I wear my EG's, I have had the experience of meeting someone else with the same model of shoe on (although color was different). This never happens with my 30's Bostonian Gator & suede spectators (LOL).

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... I feel collectors like Isshinryu are crucial: they preserve, value and inform fellow shoe nerds about the the days and shoes of yore. These are the true rough diamonds, waiting to be discovered. I'm out of claret at the moment, otherwise I'd raise a toast to Isshi's collection.

As always, you are too kind, my friend. Many Thanks.

Last edited:

claes500

Reaction score

ALways enjoy group shots. THANKS!

Thanks man, love your vintage shoes, would love to see some more group shots of them!

[/SPOILER]

Nice collection - thanks for posting.

What about suede? :)

Thank you, yes suedes are missing. I only have one pair of C&Js in suede but would like more suedes in the future!

Your shoe collection starts up very well, all are iconic models. I am sure your collection is going to be awesome in 1-2 years time.
Now maybe is time to think about bespoke shoes.

Next step for me has been to buy a bespoke suit which has meant that I will have to take it easy with my shoe buying for a while :embar:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I respectfully disagree, of course any person with enough cash can buy anything. I'm sure there are millions of people out there with enough cash that don't even know/like this stuff. What if you don't like vintage things?(I don't) or what if you don't like most of the styles/lasts?.

+1

Old shoes are old shoes and thats that. I wouldnt want them and wouldnt want to wear them. They just look goofy like a 1920s/1930s gangster. I understand the last and types of shoes have been reused but all those weird leathers and overall aesthetic does not do it for me.

I used to frequent this thread quiet often and then the vintage shoes started coming in here and i stopped viewing it. I know the mods ruled that all shoes are welcome but i still disagree. Hence, i go directly to the Carmina/Alden/GG threads to see cool shoes.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand this view, but in actuality, it is totally misinformed. There is no such thing as an "original style". The shapes of Bestetti, G&G, and all the rest are simply recycled from eras long gone. Of course there is nothing wrong with this... in fact it is a wonderful thing. When one says a general thing such as, "what if you don't like most of the styles/lasts", how to respond? Between the 1920's and the 1950's, they were ALL done. long & sleek, french toes, wide welts, welts cut so close to the uppers that it is amazing, exotics. Every style derby, oxford, norwegian and all the rest one can imagine. Eyelets? 2,3,4,5,6,7... all done. One cannot get caught up in the "Florsheim gunboat" as the epitomy of Vintage Shoes. In fact, that model didn't even come about until the very late 1950's and became popular in the 60's.

If you like sleek and elegant, the 20's & 30's is second to none. Balmoral boots will never be made as finely as they ere in the 1910's & 1920's. Gunboats... late 40's to 50's. Elegant Spades (which BESTETTI calls on heavily for his designs... although he likes to square the toe off a bit on his models), 30's & early 40's. Pointed toes... 50's. French toes... 1940's. They are all there. It is a matter of accepting that while G&G, JLP, and the other top of the top makers represent less than 1% of the modern shoe market. The very best of the best of the eras long past ALSO represent maybe 1%. Many will never get to see and handle them in person. For those that do, it is a real treat!

This said, I enjoy both modern and Vintage styles and makers. The only difference is that when I wear my EG's, I have had the experience of meeting someone else with the same model of shoe on (although color was different). This never happens with my 30's Bostonian Gator & suede spectators (LOL).

I know that, im not that ignorant, I didn't want to make the post too long, the point was the comment about the money, I respect you and your collection because its valuable and that is what you and others like, that's perfect. But others don't

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that, im not that ignorant, I didn't want to make the post too long, the point was the comment about the money, I respect you and your collection because its valuable and that is what you and others like, that's perfect. But others don't

I can understand people might not appreciates luxury vintage shoes, they do require an advance self developed taste.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Old shoes are old shoes and thats that. I wouldnt want them and wouldnt want to wear them. They just look goofy like a 1920s/1930s gangster. I understand the last and types of shoes have been reused but all those weird leathers and overall aesthetic does not do it for me.

I used to frequent this thread quiet often and then the vintage shoes started coming in here and i stopped viewing it. I know the mods ruled that all shoes are welcome but i still disagree. Hence, i go directly to the Carmina/Alden/GG threads to see cool shoes.

"I do not like green eggs and ham". Of course I love how that story ends.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member