• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Damage Report & Appreciation Central - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
what do you mean by price?

if you are referring to my shoes, i was just speaking rhetorically . sort of.

Sorry, I was only asking a question of myself as I too have bought many, lets say, less expensive shoes. Yes, it is easy to amass a lot of ordinary shoes. But somewhat more difficult to accumulate a large quantity of the best. If I hadn't bought all the ones I have bought, then I would have more room for the best.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
no need for an apology, shoe, cmon.
back when i was a shoe simpleton, i thought gucci was as good as it got.

life is always 20 20 in hindsight. those guccis cost me almost 2 grand total (what was i thinking i know, i hope no one i know personally reads this, or finds out my handle is diorshoe), but how can one go on to other great and better things without sampling the lesser on the way there right? oh well.

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Bespoke €1,532 for the first pair and €1,007 for any subsequent pair, handmade MTM €625. Prices include VAT, to subtract VAT divide the price by 1.2, so the prices are very reasonable consider a pair of EG RLPL retails for $1050 plus tax.

The MTM price is very good, the bespoke price for subsequent pair isn't bad either. I am wondering the quality difference between MTM and bespoke. I'd like to have a side by side comparison between the two. Perhaps bengal can fill us in.

Originally Posted by diorshoe
the thing about these and alot of bespokes shoes is twofold:

1)the top grain leathers used in a fantastic mirror finish

2) the shape of the vamp towards the arch. it is more emphasized in the depression of the outer arch to quarter area and very emphasized in the inner arch top. the lasting is superior.

I suspect the leather and finish are the same for MTM and bespoke. I think you are right about the second point, the difference is probably in the arch area with bespoke more conform to the shape of the feet, the waist more suppressed and, therefore, looks much more elegant and spectacular. Do Austrian makers in general, and Materna in particular, do fiddleback waist?

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
shinyshoes.jpg

Sutor Mantellassi. The ankle boots were originally tan, but they took some stains from some water damage that wouldn't quite come out, so I took a stab at antiquing them by slowly building up thin layers of cordovan-coloured cream polish. Not only has it given them a fantastic rich colour (in direct sunlight it's like wearing blazing supernovas on my feet), it also has defined the brogueing detail.

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
shinyshoes.jpg

Sutor Mantellassi. The ankle boots were originally tan, but they took some stains from some water damage that wouldn't quite come out, so I took a stab at antiquing them by slowly building up thin layers of cordovan-coloured cream polish. Not only has it given them a fantastic rich colour (in direct sunlight it's like wearing blazing supernovas on my feet), it also has defined the brogueing detail.

very nice job with your boots....

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed

Were the boots the same color as the bluchers in the picture? You did a great job with the boots.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
The boots were originally more like the colour of how von Rothbart's Vass shoes appear in the first set of photos.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Really lovely. To me that is one of the perfect shoes. You can wear them with a huge variety of clothes, and they should age wonderfully.

I completely agree. I've considering ordering the C&J Stanley but now I'm positive that I'll be ordering this Vass 3-eyelet instead. That tan color looks GREAT on shoes once they've been worn, nicked, polished, etc.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to speculate if these were made for US market? Thye fit US 7 1/2 D, which I wear. But what about the last? They look like 337 but they don't have that number anywhere. Numbers that are not visible state " X 32973 and X 32976"

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Anyone care to speculate if these were made for US market?
Thye fit US 7 1/2 D, which I wear.
But what about the last? They look like 337 but they don't have that number anywhere.

Numbers that are not visible state " X 32973 and X 32976"

Your pictures are too dark but I think they're Balmuir:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...uir#post193619

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
I completely agree. I've considering ordering the C&J Stanley but now I'm positive that I'll be ordering this Vass 3-eyelet instead. That tan color looks GREAT on shoes once they've been worn, nicked, polished, etc.

The actual color looks a little darker than those in the first set of pictures because the lighting gave them a lighter glow. If you want tan, cognac is closer to what you want.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
The actual color looks a little darker than those in the first set of pictures because the lighting gave them a lighter glow. If you want tan, cognac is closer to what you want.

Oh ok thanks. I'm definitely after a tan shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members