• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey my Topy on a few shoes is peeling off.

Can I use SHOE GOO to glue it back on?

EDIT: found out about something called Barge Cement. would that do the trick? is it safe to use?

Last edited:

SamuelC

Reaction score
Here is a little bit on shoe care that I did for Steve's newsletter...

I just signed up to this forum to thank you for that amazing post. Exactly the info I was looking for, heading over to Amazon to order the supplies you listed. Thanks so much.

-Sam

coffeecupman

Reaction score
Greetings all,

First post. Been lurking for a little while.

This thread is just what I needed, when I am just starting to get my first nice (for me) shoes.

I've bought two pairs of Ferragamo Parigis, and have some entry level Bruno Magli pieces.

I know that's small potatoes for the people on this forum, but they're right for the level I'm playing at and I'm really enjoying them.

Last night I bought shoe trees on the Jos A Bank buy one, get two free sale.

This week, before I get home from working offshore, I'll sort myself out with a bunch of Saphir products and will start practicing soon.

But the question I have is about caring for the suede stuff. The brass brush and rubber brush for nubuck have been mentioned for stain cleaning and preserving the texture of suede...

But what about the oils in the leather? Isn't suede subject to the same dehydration effects that other leathers are? Since you can't polish suede, what products do you use to keep it oiled/hydrated and how do you apply them?

I really want to keep these Parigis looking their best and in great condition for as long as I can.

Thanks,
ccm

coffeecupman

Reaction score
For the benefit of others after me, I have found these things out:

Dealing with suede often is often summarized as "spray protectant on it and brush the nap when it's looking tired"

But there do exist some suede conditioning products specifically with nourishment in mind.

Ecco makes a "Nubuck and Suede Conditioner Daily Care" spray. Daily was probably more than I was thinking would be necessary,
and I wasn't sure Ecco was trustworthy enough a brand.

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/access...suede-conditioner-daily-care/1344/detail.aspx

I also found a company called Leather Magic. Apparently their entire business is based on conditioning leather. And they seem to
have been around for a while, so OK. They have a Suede Conditioner that is pure conditioner.

http://store.leathermagic.com/nubucksuedeleatherconditioner.aspx

They also make cleaner - there's a bunch of cleaners on the market though. Still, they make one more interesting product for suede and nubuck: A UV guard:

http://store.leathermagic.com/uvprotectant.aspx

Particularly recommended for naked leathers like nubuck and suede. So there you are - now your shoes need sunblock. I ordered some of this.

In addition to the brass and rubber bristled brushes recommended, I also found this product geared towards scrubbing suede/nubuck:

http://www.shoeandfootcare.com/p/10...-nubuck-shoe-brush-krepp-exclusive-large.html

The above website was also a very good-value resource for horsehair polishing brushes etc for someone starting out like I am.

Remaining knowledge gap is that I can't seem to get anyone to commit to what the ideal products are for ostrich and elephant. They're fairly unique skins, and neither really fits under the banners of either calf based or reptile. Would love some experienced comments on that from someone.

hope this helps another noob like me.

ccm

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Many thanks. I'll try to get my hands on saphir reptan

Btw I tried crema alpina on a small portion near the heal, and think it should work fine on croc (nothing mentioned on the label though except not suitable for suede and nubuck)

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Has anybody used Saphir Gel Polish which says

"Translucent cream recommended for the care of multicoloured, braided, pearly or metallised leather which resists penetration of classic polish. Its light formula favors the shiny instead of the nourishing waxes and protects from dirt."

Any feedback is welcome, am thinking to get it for one of my black shoes that I think is too smooth/shiny for normal waxes to penetrate into

DM66

Reaction score
After reading this whole thread it is basically information overload.
I think i'm going to go with AE supplies for now, unless someone talks me out of it.
I've got some terry cloths or old tshirts I could use to apply the cleaners/polish.
So I am looking at these items.
Cleaner/Conditioner
Shoe Polish
Horse hair brush
Do I need a cream or wax also? What step is that? Is the Kiwi stuff in the little tins a wax?
Also what order does everything go on?
Thanks
Ditto. My head is spinning, too.

WOODOO51

Reaction score
I was getting through some old shoe care posts and I found your question regarding GTA area with shoe care web around it.
Try www.valentinogaremi.ca ,is based in Ontario and got some good stuff - majority Europe made items.
Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads