• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe care: conditioning interior surfaces of shoes?

swiego

Reaction score
Subject = fine dress shoes with lined leather interiors.

When conditioning a shoe with something like Saphir Renovateur, is there benefit in moisturizing / conditioning interior surfaces of the shoe?

I tried doing so for a couple of my nicer shoes (Lobb, Kiton) and I'm not sure whether it does good, harm or nothing at all. It's not so easy to buff off interior surfaces, obviously, and I'm not sure whether regular wear and abrasion with socks etc. strips off material to a degree that it doesn't matter. Looking online I didn't see any particular advice on this topic.

For the shoes I tried this on, as expected the interior surfaces were initially a bit more slick which translated to a bit more comfort, I suppose, but I cannot say it was lasting beyond a single day.

Thoughts on this topic appreciated! I'm going through a full refurbishment / hobby-resumption and this is one of the open questions I've had.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is worth doing once yearly. Use something cheaper than renovateur.

msimon

Reaction score
It never occurred to me to do this. Did a test on my crown northampton sneaker lining, I must say they look more healthy and seem much more supple.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is worth doing once yearly. Use something cheaper than renovateur.

^ This. I recommend Bick4 or Lexol... you can use either several times a year. Avoid greasy or waxy conditioners.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This. I recommend Bick4 or Lexol... you can use either several times a year. Avoid greasy or waxy conditioners.

Because we have your attention, I thought I'd ask the expert of experts (yourself) on this matter:

How often do you think that leather uppers should be conditioned?

I usually condition them about once a year, because I regularly use cream polish and otherwise care for my shoes, so the leather never really gets dry.

I usually condition the inside of my shoes at the same time, but I usually just use Saphir's Creme Universelle which is much cheaper and has no waxes in it like Renovateur.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised more people don't condition leather shoe interiors. Yes, I completely agree about the use of BICK 4. Don't waste Reno, but not because I think it's better than Bick, but only because it costs so much more per oz. Buy a gallon of Bick 4 from a leather wholesale shop and have at it.
PS - I use BICK 4 on every pair of shoes I own. It's my go-to. Haven't had a need to get Saphir Reno.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because we have your attention, I thought I'd ask the expert of experts (yourself) on this matter:

How often do you think that leather uppers should be conditioned?

I usually condition them about once a year, because I regularly use cream polish and otherwise care for my shoes, so the leather never really gets dry.

I usually condition the inside of my shoes at the same time, but I usually just use Saphir's Creme Universelle which is much cheaper and has no waxes in it like Renovateur.

I don't think there is a strict schedule. Maybe three times a year?...but if the leather looks dry a light conditioner such a Bick4 can be used any time.

The real issue with shoes is to keep them clean, esp. if you are using wax or greasy conditioners. Even cream polishes can collect micro fine abrasives and cause problems.

And that's also the reason to use Bick4 or Lexol--they're not waxy or 'lardy' or oily...so they leave no residues. It's not that they're cheaper. I almost never use creams of any kind. Keeping your shoes clean and only using polish over the toes and/or heels and creams only if the colour need renewing, along with judicious use of Bick4 is about the best regimen I know..

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a strict schedule. Maybe three times a year?...but if the leather looks dry a light conditioner such a Bick4 can be used any time.

The real issue with shoes is to keep them clean, esp. if you are using wax or greasy conditioners. Even cream polishes can collect micro fine abrasives and cause problems.

And that's also the reason to use Bick4 or Lexol--they're not waxy or 'lardy' or oily...so they leave no residues. It's not that they're cheaper. I almost never use creams of any kind. Keeping your shoes clean and only using polish over the toes and/or heels and creams only if the colour need renewing, along with judicious use of Bick4 is about the best regimen I know..

Thanks! Great insight.

msimon

Reaction score
Bick4 is neatfoot oil based right, so anything that's similar with no waxes are good to use. I used saphir oiled leather, expensive until I can pickup something cheaper.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bick4 is neatfoot oil based right, so anything that's similar with no waxes are good to use. I used saphir oiled leather, expensive until I can pickup something cheaper.

Well, it's homogenized neatsfoot if anything (and maybe other compounds--Lexol and Bick4 are extremely reticent to reveal the actual contents)...and that makes all the difference.

Ordinary neatsfoot, if it is natural, is greasy--it will collect and hold dirt. If only because it is not readily absorbed and never really dries out.

If you put any conditioner that feels oily or greasy to the touch on the lining of your shoes, soon the interior will be irretrievably soiled.

Even putting pure neatsfoot on veg tanned uppers will darken them. And some of that is also dirt.

If you put such conditioners on chrome tanned leather uppers, it will not only make the leather 'soggy' over a period of time (depending on the finish), it will, again, pick up grit and hold it in the creases of the shoe.

This is one of the primary culprits for the cracking of shoe leather

Last edited:

msimon

Reaction score
Well, it's homogenized neatsfoot if anything (and maybe other compounds--Lexol and Bick4 are extremely reticent to reveal the actual contents)...and that makes all the difference.

Ordinary neatsfoot, if it is natural, is greasy--it will collect and hold dirt. If only because it is not readily absorbed and never really dries out.

If you put any conditioner that feels oily or greasy to the touch on the lining of your shoes, soon the interior will be irretrievably soiled.

Even putting pure neatsfoot on veg tanned uppers will darken them. And some of that is also dirt.

If you put such conditioners on chrome tanned leather uppers, it will not only make the leather 'soggy' over a period of time (depending on the finish), it will, again, pick up grit and hold it in the creases of the shoe.

This is one of the primary culprits for the cracking of shoe leather
Great info, thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics