• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe anatomy question...

willsgillen

Reaction score
I've done a number of searches and not been able to find the answer, so I thought I'd come to the experts:

I know that adelaide is the name of a style of oxford involving U-shaped stitching surrounding the laces on an oxford shoe, but does this name also refer to the area of the facings surrounded by stitching or broguing on a pair of oxfords that is not of the adelaide style?

I've attached photos of EG and Bestetti adelaides, followed by AE Strands with the area of interest outlined. What is the appropriate name for this area? My feeling is that the term adelaide refers primarily to the style illustrated in the first two photos and that the area inside the stitching is referred to anatomically as the facings, although I can see that the sum of the stitching on the Strands makes an area that looks similar to the adelaide style. Google search results vary widely in their description of the definition. Thanks in advance for any info.
bestetti-maverick-brown.jpg
Edward-Green-Laughton-Nightshade-04_1024x1024.jpg
Strands-from-above.jpg

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shoes in the last photo are not Adelaides.

Having said that, I think the term "Adelaide" is relatively recent. It has caught on, esp. among consumers of high end men's footwear but other than calling any one of these three shoes an "oxford"...properly...you could call it just about whatever you want. AFAIK, "Adelaide" has no fixed meaning in the shoe lexicon.

For instance, "Chelsea" is another one of those "nicknames." But there is a cachet brand that designates one of its models as a "Chelsea" and yet it bears no resemblance to what we commonly think of as a Chelsea--with the high top and elastic gore. And once upon a time the so called Chelsea was known as a "Congress boot."

These designations come and go.

On the other hand, every pair of lace-up shoes has "facings." The term simply refers to the proximate area in which the eyelets or eye holes are embedded. This area is often reinforced and there are two of them on a shoe..."facing" each other.

Bottom line, "facings" is a technical term referring to a specific part of the shoe. "Adelaide" is a quasi-proprietary...perhaps even "made up," as who should say...styling term.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads