• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sherlock (TV Series)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed. Second episode was great (though it was maybe more stylized than the earlier seasons)

Not really a spoiler:
This may have been the best "Wedding Episode" I have ever seen in a TV show. At least on american shows, episodes involving the wedding of a major character are usually terrible...especially if something dramatic is to occur at the event.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And yes...I "acquired" a copy of the UK airing. Don't really have any qualms about doing so for a show that is airing on public television (it is not like I have a nielsen box)...and that's what happens when you insist on scheduling them >24 hours apart in different markets.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Enjoyed the finale

At first, I wasn't sure I liked where it was going. The Mary reveal felt wrong...I was actually really enjoying her as a character and then they throw in that she is not what she seems.

By the end though, I thought they cleaned it up nicely. There will still be weirdness about her backstory, but at least they tied it back to the prior episodes well enough that it didn't seem like it really came out of left field.

I wonder if Moriarty is truly back, if this is some sort of planted extension of his former organization, or if there is someone who has appropriated his image.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Enjoyed the finale

At first, I wasn't sure I liked where it was going. The Mary reveal felt wrong...I was actually really enjoying her as a character and then they throw in that she is not what she seems.

By the end though, I thought they cleaned it up nicely. There will still be weirdness about her backstory, but at least they tied it back to the prior episodes well enough that it didn't seem like it really came out of left field.

I wonder if Moriarty is truly back, if this is some sort of planted extension of his former organization, or if there is someone who has appropriated his image.

i find it a little cheap that they brought Moriarty back, even if it's an extension of his former org

Overall I liked this series, and the episodes got better as they went on. The Last Vow was great in that it sort of referenced the source material, probably shouldn't have named it The Last Vow, and still kept very true to the modern take. The Sign of Three had absolutely no major inspiration taken from The Sign of Four, one of my favorite of the Sherlock stories, it would have been nice to see that mystery played out in this series. That being said, The Sign of Three was still a great episode,.

The Empty Hearse was obvious in that it took inspiration from the short story, and it fit in quite well. I know a lot of friends thought it was a little lackluster, but I think it fit in okay.

It's still a great series to watch, I enjoyed the nitty gritty of the first two series, this one was much more character focused, and the mysteries/detective work seemed like they were secondary plot lines - they pulled that off well.

I'm hoping the Speckled Band is used as inspiration for one of the episodes next series.

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the finale

i find it a little cheap that they brought Moriarty back, even if it's an extension of his former org

Overall I liked this series, and the episodes got better as they went on. The Last Vow was great in that it sort of referenced the source material, probably shouldn't have named it The Last Vow, and still kept very true to the modern take. The Sign of Three had absolutely no major inspiration taken from The Sign of Four, one of my favorite of the Sherlock stories, it would have been nice to see that mystery played out in this series. That being said, The Sign of Three was still a great episode,.

The Empty Hearse was obvious in that it took inspiration from the short story, and it fit in quite well. I know a lot of friends thought it was a little lackluster, but I think it fit in okay.

It's still a great series to watch, I enjoyed the nitty gritty of the first two series, this one was much more character focused, and the mysteries/detective work seemed like they were secondary plot lines - they pulled that off well.

I'm hoping the Speckled Band is used as inspiration for one of the episodes next series.

I found the last episode unsatisfactory - too many subplots and distractions. I notice the reviews in the papers have been like here very positive and also very negative so it was obviously a Marmite episode.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got into this late, only a few weeks ago, and pretty much devoured Seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix, and have now just seen S3, eps 1 & 2. I've really been impressed by the way that small, small details from the stories have been woven into the show in a way that is not just for show, but shows a real sensitivity to the stories. These details are so trivial that they are, I'm sure, only noticeable to those who have read the stories multiple times as I have, yet they flow in the episodes without interruption, adding to the stories even for those who are new to Holmes.

Spoilers S2:
This season was great! Their version of SCAN was just exceptional (barring the trope about the Code of Everything, and the ending in Karachi, which was the lamest 15sec in the Series). And the Finale was pretty great, too. Really left me hanging.
Spoilers S3:

Had an opportunity to see an early premier on the big-screen. Was really a bit of a let-down; too fanciful on too many fronts, especially as regards the non-death death. And the waiter/reintroduction scene was too ignorant even for Sherlock. And all the cutting back and forth was crazy. They need to cut that out.....but it turns out that in Ep2, they have not. S3E2 was better than E1, but still not as great as S2. Just too hokey.

Oh, and will S3E3 be a Milverton episode? They said master blackmailer, soo.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton

He would occasionally chastise Watson for "sensationalizing" his cases rather than emphasizing only the cold reason that went into solving them. Also, sometimes he would say "You know my methods, reason it out." And then listen as Watson tried to draw Holmesian conclusions from detailed observations of little facts and then laugh and say "Well done but entirely erroneous."

But he never called Watson stupid or told him to shut up. And he occasionally spoke warmly of their friendship, of Watson's courage, and of his loyalty.

I don't know, Manton. In the stories (as written by Watson) there are a lot of statements and allusions that are critical of Watson, and that seem shockingly col, even when couched in Victorian dialogue. SOLI and HOUN come to mind, where Holmes rips Watson for doing all the wrong things when in the field. Likewise the 'you are not a light, but a conductor of light' soliloquy, I think from HOUN too, is pretty brutal -- far more than merely laughing at his erroneous conclusions. Sherlock's rudeness in the series seems to be what 'prints' in the same way to modern audiences. Furthermore, the depth of their relationship is only shown through development of the series, and the warmth of their relationship only really shows up late in the series indeed -- witness the "had you killed Watson, you would not have left this room alive" from 3GAR. I think we are seeing more of that as the series progresses.

~ H

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The series has spawned a very nerdy fan base. Lot's of cartoons, fanfiction, and awkward Sherlock fans at media events. My wife has been following it and apparently a lot what was in S3E1 was fan service. Most of the different theories about how Sherlock lived were in fanfiction or discussed by fans. Anderson's Sherlock support group was also poking fun at the fandom. There have also been a lot of web comics that portray John and Sherlock as a hedgehog and weasel. All of a sudden we have an episode where John is burred underneath a bonfire, and apparently it's common knowledge that you should always check under a bonfire before lighting it because hedgehogs like sleeping under them.

Moffat and Gatiss seem to be love the fans. Martin Feeman's girlfriend has asked people to stop making homoerotic art of Martin. Here is a member of the SoCal brance of the Cumber Collective, complete with reproduction jacket, hat, and Star Trek tshirt.

The Chap did this little bit on the overcoat.

http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/2014/01/the-case-of-the-missing-overcoat/

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my very favorite shows at the moment. Sadly, the wait between the seasons is so long. Very much looking forward to S04. S03 consisted of quite a few "bold" plots, so we'll see how they'll play out in S04.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a fan.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone still watching this? We're just finishing Episode 4:1 right now on PBS. Good stuff!

WSW

Reaction score
Just finished episode 2. Nice modern take on "The Adventure of the Dying Detective", including the pun in the episode's title. Very intriguing twist at the end. Hope this continues for the season conclusion.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed. Wasn't loving it in the first half (and I was lukewarm on episode 1), but it really returned to form for the third act.

I definitely didn't recognize her...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads