• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigan … advice sought, please?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s wonderful to hear!
I’m assuming the cashmere is just as effective (if not better) in terms of insulation properties, too.
As far as durability … any observation/knowledge.
And pilling?

I actually don't own one. All my shawl collar cardigans are made from lambswool or linen-blends.

When I was looking for a gift to give this person this past Christmas, I thought about giving a lambswool shawl collar cardigan like the ones I own. But when I tried it on, I noticed it was slightly itchy around the arms, so I decided to splurge for the cashmere version. My only experience with the cashmere cardigan is that one time I tried it on before giving it away.

The cardigan was made by William Lockie, so the same model as you're looking at.

I have some cashmere William Lockie cable knits made from four-ply yarn. I think they're approaching ten years old at this point. All sweaters pill to some degree, but these are among the most pill-resistant and well-made sweaters I own. I assume their cardigans are similarly well made.

Moosemeister

Reaction score
I actually don't own one. All my shawl collar cardigans are made from lambswool or linen-blends.

When I was looking for a gift to give this person this past Christmas, I thought about giving a lambswool shawl collar cardigan like the ones I own. But when I tried it on, I noticed it was slightly itchy around the arms, so I decided to splurge for the cashmere version. My only experience with the cashmere cardigan is that one time I tried it on before giving it away.

The cardigan was made by William Lockie, so the same model as you're looking at.

I have some cashmere William Lockie cable knits made from four-ply yarn. I think they're approaching ten years old at this point. All sweaters pill to some degree, but these are among the most pill-resistant and well-made sweaters I own. I assume their cardigans are similarly well made.

The news just gets better and better!
Cheers

Moosemeister

Reaction score
My cardigan is 4 years old, I wore it about 50-60 times and washed it 1 time. No pilling at all.

That must almost be some sort of record regarding the pilling (grin)!

As an aside, and re the washing, I’d assumed it would need washing more often than that? Although sounds like much less work if not needed.

Cheers

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
As an aside, and re the washing, I’d assumed it would need washing more often than that?
Depends how and where you will wear it. I don't see any need to wash it more often as I wear it on top of t-shirt / shirt and usually for the evenings out. Afterwards I let it rest and breathe in fresh air during night and in the morning I store it in the bags with lavender pocket close to it.
I washed it once after one weekend trip when it came more intensively into contact with various public places such as train seats etc.

Moosemeister

Reaction score
Depends how and where you will wear it. I don't see any need to wash it more often as I wear it on top of t-shirt / shirt and usually for the evenings out. Afterwards I let it rest and breathe in fresh air during night and in the morning I store it in the bags with lavender pocket close to it.
I washed it once after one weekend trip when it came more intensively into contact with various public places such as train seats etc.

Your approach makes good sense - and is practical to boot.

I did come across the below at this site: But really?! After every three or four wears?! I’d end up spending more time washing it than wearing it!!!

Washing cashmere
Some people fear washing their cashmere because of the dreaded ‘shrink’. However, washing your cashmere is an important step to keep its condition for many years to come. Never put cashmere away dirty, because hair, sweat and stains attract moths, and make it more likely for female moths to find the perfect place to lay their eggs.

Cashmere is a protein fibre – like our own hair – so it is best to take a gentle washing approach. Wash your cashmere after every three or four wears, even if you cannot see stains. We recommend machine washing your cashmere on a delicate wool setting. Otherwise, a gentle, cool hand wash is best. We provide easy step-by-step guides for both methods below.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
But really?! After every three or four wears?! I’d end up spending more time washing it than wearing it!!!
I read that guide. In my case more frequent washing applies to 1-ply sweaters which are worn in direct contact with body, e.g. oxton rollneck or sportshirt.
I would say that regarding shawl collar cardigan the good approach is to clean it at the end of winter season in case you are going to store it in an attic or some other place you are visiting unfrequently. Clean sweater is less attracting moths.

Schmock

Reaction score
Hello Gents,
May i join this one?
Looking for a shawl collar cardigan and maybe it could become Lockie.
Lambswool or Camel Hair...what would you prefer and why?

Thank you!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello Gents,
May i join this one?
Looking for a shawl collar cardigan and maybe it could become Lockie.
Lambswool or Camel Hair...what would you prefer and why?

Thank you!

Camelhair tends to be a little more fragile, but softer. This is why camelhair coating is often mixed with wool to give them strength. So if you want something softer, but you're OK with a slightly more delicate fiber, then go camelhair. If you want something relatively hardwearing, then go for lambswool.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lambswool wears softer than camelhair fyi

two key metrics are micron and staple length , but please , do your own rsh

Last edited:

Schmock

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Normaly i would compare the lambswool and the camel hair cardigan...but it's hard to find any nice shawl collar cardigan where i live.
So i will have to order online from abroad and it might be pricey with returns...
Anyone experienced with orders to germany?

What about Lockie and pilling or shrinking? I prefer a slim look, but not to tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads