• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigan … advice sought, please?

Moosemeister

Reaction score
Dear Gents,

I’d be most grateful for any advice/comments based on your collective experience/knowledge.

I’m wanting to purchase a shawl collared cardigan in either cashmere or lambswool and have settled on the silhouette/design/look of the “William Lockie Windsor Shawl Jacket” / “Drake’s Shawl Collar Cardigan”.

I’m 60+ and am not after a fitted/snug look. Rather the opposite - think “young-ish grandfather in front of OFP in winter” look as an example.

Importantly, I’d like the fit to adequately allow for accomodating these extremes:
• just wearing with a t shirt at one extreme; and
• layering whereby I’d be wearing: an undershirt/singlet (I tend to always wear an undershirt/singlet); a button down collar shirt; and perhaps a thin woollen/cotton pullover.

My measurements are fairly ‘regular’:
• Chest = 100 cm (say 39.5”)
• Height = 175 cm (5’ 9”)
• Weight = 73 kg (11.5 stone)

My research to date leads me to initially think that a Size 40 would best suit these measurements but I’m concerned that this would result in a snug fit (especially if these makes fit a touch small?) and that’s not what I’m after. So now I’m thinking a Size 42 would perhaps be the ideal to cover the scenarios above?

in your collective experience and across your knowledge-base would anyone care to confirm/comment/advise please? As I’ve said, I’m happiest with a slightly ‘loose‘ look (definitely not ‘snug’) and am hoping the Size 42 would still work well with just a t shirt but also could accomodate the extent of layering described and still not be ‘snug’ in appearance?

Thanks for any/all advice and comments.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
William Lockie and Drake's shawl collar cardigans run very slim. Their tagged size is for garment size, not wearer's size. In other words, when you see knitwear from them tagged as a size 40, this means that the pit-to-pit measurement of the garment is 20" across (or 40" around the chest).

Other brands tend to use a more conventional sizing system, where a size 40 means that it's meant for someone with a size 40 chest.

Note, this is for all William Lockie knits and only some Drake's knits. However, it applies to both William Lockie and Drake's shawl collar cardigans.

If you buy a shawl collar cardigan from Drake's or William Lockie, you will want to size up. If you have a size 40 chest, then you will want a size 42 shawl collar cardigan from one of those brands.

If you want a shawl collar cardigan from a different brand, they may use a different sizing system. Each brand has their own cut and sizing system, so it's not possible to give general sizing advice across everything.

When in doubt, you can ask the brand to give you measurements of the garment. If you have a 39.5" chest, you will want a shawl collar cardigan that's at least 22" from pit-to-pit for a classic look.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm almost exactly the same size as you are and I take a size 42 in William Lockie knitwear, including their shawl collar cardigan.

Moosemeister

Reaction score
Hello dieworkwear,

Thanks ever so much for the information - much appreciated.

Just to be clear, if I should therefore be considering a 22” pit-to-pit measurement “for a classic look”, then that equates to a Drake's or William Lockie’s Size 44, yes?

Furthermore if I purchase the Size 44, do you think I’d still be able to cover the scenarios I outlined (wearing with just a t shirt through to layering) without looking and feeling as though I’d be swimming in the garment in the ‘just a t shirt scenario’? And would I comfortably maintain the look with the layering described?

Lastly, on the overall length of arms and hemline … need I be concerned too much in opting for their Size 44 for the classic look? The ribbed cuffs can be rolled back I guess (which is my preferred look anyway) which just leaves the back length in play/question, perhaps? Any thoughts/advice given my height?

Again, thanks for the valuable and considered advice.

Cheers

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I have William Lockie Shawl Collar Cardigan in cashmere, size 42.
Pit to pit measurement is 52cm, back length 69 cm.
My height is 180cm, weight 80kg, 104cm chest. I think the fit is very good, neither snug nor overly relaxed.
IMO both sizes (40/42) would work for you, 42 might be quite relaxed.

Moosemeister

Reaction score
I'm almost exactly the same size as you are and I take a size 42 in William Lockie knitwear, including their shawl collar cardigan.
Thanks for that.
And you find that the size gives the “classic look” for you - with layering being ok and not too bulky with the Size 42 - still maintain a relaxed look/feel?
Cheers

Moosemeister

Reaction score
William Lockie and Drake's shawl collar cardigans run very slim. Their tagged size is for garment size, not wearer's size. In other words, when you see knitwear from them tagged as a size 40, this means that the pit-to-pit measurement of the garment is 20" across (or 40" around the chest).

Other brands tend to use a more conventional sizing system, where a size 40 means that it's meant for someone with a size 40 chest.

Note, this is for all William Lockie knits and only some Drake's knits. However, it applies to both William Lockie and Drake's shawl collar cardigans.

If you buy a shawl collar cardigan from Drake's or William Lockie, you will want to size up. If you have a size 40 chest, then you will want a size 42 shawl collar cardigan from one of those brands.

If you want a shawl collar cardigan from a different brand, they may use a different sizing system. Each brand has their own cut and sizing system, so it's not possible to give general sizing advice across everything.

When in doubt, you can ask the brand to give you measurements of the garment. If you have a 39.5" chest, you will want a shawl collar cardigan that's at least 22" from pit-to-pit for a classic look.

<<<<< apologies, I think I was meant to “reply” not new post >>>>>

Hello dieworkwear,

Just to be clear, if I should therefore be considering a 22” pit-to-pit measurement “for a classic look”, then that equates to a Drake's or William Lockie’s Size 44, yes?

Furthermore if I purchase the Size 44, do you think I’d still be able to cover the scenarios I outlined (wearing with just a t shirt through to layering) without looking and feeling as though I’d be swimming in the garment in the ‘just a t shirt scenario’? And would I comfortably maintain the look with the layering described?

Lastly, on the overall length of arms and hemline … need I be concerned too much in opting for their Size 44 for the classic look? The ribbed cuffs can be rolled back I guess (which is my preferred look anyway) which just leaves the back length in play/question, perhaps? Any thoughts/advice given my height?

Cheers

Moosemeister

Reaction score
I have William Lockie Shawl Collar Cardigan in cashmere, size 42.
Pit to pit measurement is 52cm, back length 69 cm.
My height is 180cm, weight 80kg, 104cm chest. I think the fit is very good, neither snug nor overly relaxed.
IMO both sizes (40/42) would work for you, 42 might be quite relaxed.

Thanks for the information. And you, too, find that the size accommodates layering as described without ending up feeling/looking too snug?
Cheers

Moosemeister

Reaction score
Thanks!
Do you find it covers the scenarios described yet remains a slightly loose/classic look (as opposed to fitted/snug)?
Cheers

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
<<<<< apologies, I think I was meant to “reply” not new post >>>>>

Hello dieworkwear,

Cheers

If you want a cardigan that's 22 from pit to pit, that will likely be a size 44 in Drake's or William Lockie. It's always a good idea to get measurements of the garment before ordering, and then compare those measurements to clothes you already own, so you can get an idea of how the garment might fit.

Given your measurements, I think you can wear a cardigan that's either 21 or 22 from pit to pit. Generally, this will correspond to a size 42 or 44 in Drake's or William Lockie's sizing. Again, best to get measurements adn compare them to your garments.

A size 42 or 44 can be worn in the ways you described.

Moosemeister

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for providing comments/advice/feedback.
I do believe that you’ve helped settle my mind that the Size 42 is the one with which I should go.
I’ve also settled my mind on the cashmere - a little splurge in my advancing age.
I shall be ordering soon and will look forward to its arrival.
Cheers

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for providing comments/advice/feedback.
I do believe that you’ve helped settle my mind that the Size 42 is the one with which I should go.
I’ve also settled my mind on the cashmere - a little splurge in my advancing age.
I shall be ordering soon and will look forward to its arrival.
Cheers

The cashmere ones are really nice. I bought a friend one this past Christmas as a gift. They're considerably softer than the lambswool version, and if you don't mind the upcharge, worth the expense.

I find that I'm a little more sensitive to wool as I get older. The lambswool ones are a little itchy against my arms if I'm wearing a t-shirt, but the cashmere ones are really sublime.

Moosemeister

Reaction score
The cashmere ones are really nice. I bought a friend one this past Christmas as a gift. They're considerably softer than the lambswool version, and if you don't mind the upcharge, worth the expense.

I find that I'm a little more sensitive to wool as I get older. The lambswool ones are a little itchy against my arms if I'm wearing a t-shirt, but the cashmere ones are really sublime.

That’s wonderful to hear!
I’m assuming the cashmere is just as effective (if not better) in terms of insulation properties, too.
As far as durability … any observation/knowledge.
And pilling?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads