• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share It Before You Wear It

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
lol I meant no offend by the pale Englishman comment. I used to be so dark in my teen and 20s that Asian people would tell me I looked like a field worker, unprompted. After a decade of living in the Pacific Northwest, I now look like a corpse. Needless to say, my pale skin is the envy of all Asian women.

Andy_00

Reaction score
Not too bad in that respect. I am a slightly swarthy west coast Irishman by genetics, with the balding remainder of a full head of wiry black hair. Not a ruddy, pink gammon compexion.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I, for one, didn't take offense. I was just saying more goes into determining whether something looks good with a light skin complexion than just suit color. It's the interaction of the suit with the shirt and tie. In fact, if I were very light skinned and wanted to wear a suit like that I might go slightly darker in the shirt. A medium blue, perhaps. Not too dark, but just enough so that the face doesn't get washed out.

Andy_00

Reaction score
Can I see you wear it? I can't imagine that color would look good on a pale white Englishman.

Hard to tell from these, but nonetheless...
DAC977A0-CE27-464D-B21A-5F4065C16783.jpeg

6CBB8C4E-4E36-412B-923D-AABE809A92EB.jpeg

6C136A9B-4FEC-4DC3-A7A7-46C0C345BD7F.jpeg

Andy_00

Reaction score
Yes, possibly, although looks worse at this angle I think. I assume you mean it looks a bit high/angular behind the line of the shoulder for the side view? I have forward shoulders due to a back injury so most jackets with structured shoulders have the same issue. I do need the structure though.

Andy_00

Reaction score
Indeed, only about 30 times more than the cost of this one! I actually saw a bespoke tailor recently but managed to get sacked as a client after the first fitting for ‘micro-managing’ (which was the reaction to me following up the fitting with a message asking whether one or two adjustments to the preferences I had expressed earlier on certain design matters would be in order). Oh well, the curse of a little knowledge from SF leading me to ask for a little less belly on lapel, for example...

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, possibly, although looks worse at this angle I think. I assume you mean it looks a bit high/angular behind the line of the shoulder for the side view? I have forward shoulders due to a back injury so most jackets with structured shoulders have the same issue. I do need the structure though.

Don’t overthink things. It looks good. You already have it. You like it. It’s a steal. Keep it!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s overthinking things to recognize a real fit problem. You can ignore it if you like the suit and don’t care, but that’s another issue.

I hear what you're saying, but I think those photos are inconclusive of a real fit problem. I also admit I like the suit so much I wouldn't look too hard for conclusive proof either. :laugh:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads