• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shanghai Fabric Market - Any recommendations?

Weich77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
Hey All,

Just curious if anyone out there has any experiences/recommendations they can share for Fabric Market in Shanghai (the one near the Bund)?

Im due to pickup a suit and some shirts there this Sunday or Monday (was measured last week when I placed the order). I ordered my suit from Stall number 163 and the shirts from 378. I just picked these places based on how many people they had crammed in there are the time...I know...not really a good way to find the better tailor....

When I pick up these items, I was thinking of perhaps trying other stalls and ordering some more pieces (suits & shirts). However I do not really have any idea on on which stalls to go to. Can anyone out there share their experiences of particular stalls they have done business with- Good & Bad?

Yes I know, if I want a well made suit without the fuss of looking around, I should just go to Chans or Daves, but Im on somewhat of a budget and thought I should stock up on some "decent"/well fitting suits before going back to real work (currently an english teacher, previous life an I.T. Manager)

Provided I get a few recommendations and budget/time permitting I may actually order a suit or shirt (whichever the stall is known for) from each location - and make a post with pictures of each piece with locations of tailors for future reference (and for me to decide which tailor I should just go to for the remaining suits/shirts I want made
smile.gif
)

Also thinking I might have a tailored leather jacket made while over here - any recommendations/suggestions on that?

for those bored and want to know the details of what I ordered:
suit:
Dark Navy blue pinstripe - supposedly Super 150. Requested functional buttons, 2 vent, 2 button, requested bone buttons (we'll see...) - 650rmb/93 bucks (think I might have gotten slightly ripped off, since I've heard 550rmb is the norm)
Shirts: Supposedly 100% cotton, felt like it I guess, but Im a bad judge at feeling textures. one blue the other white. Both Shadow Striped/Tone-on-Tone (yeah not feeling they will go well with the suit I ordered...) No pleats, Point Collar 140rmb/20 bucks each

Thanks in Advance!,

Bob

for the shirts u can get 80rmb/shirt and suit 400rmb/ suit but they suck really i bought shirts and suits there 2 years ago, at beginning i was very excited but once u get the products it was a big "deception" craftmanship, cutting, quality suck, i realized how stupid i was to think that we can get MTM shirt for 80rmb and u can't give them to anybody else because it s customade!

deputamadre

Reaction score
Anyone have any updated recommendations? Looking for a mid-range price, ideally under 3k RMB per suit.

poorlawstudent

Reaction score
not at the fabric market my learned friend. and not at that price. forum's a plenty of shanghai stuff btw. sanford-shanghai to name one.

lizter

Reaction score
I had a SC and two shirts made at Michael & Tina in room 202. 600RMB for the SC and 200RMB for a shirt. The SC fits better than any of my rack suit jackets. It's fused, but I think it's pretty good for that price. The shirts were okay, a bit slim for my taste. The collar looks cheap, but you get what you pay for. The people there are not pushy and more laid back than the rest of the stalls who are apparently trying to sell you everything they have..

jdanielca

Reaction score
No point starting a new thread this one seems pretty good.. I am looking specifically for overcoats. I think Chan if you guys refering to W chan has insane prices fo overcoats which I am not willing to pay, I am seldom in cold climate so I have no idea when I would next need a coat this is their quote:

"We could make style of the top-coat as the picture you attached.
Our price ranges are vary.
Pure wool material from England overcoat start from approx. RMB12,000.-
Pure cashmere start from RMB15,000."

I aint paying close to 3000 SGD for a coat LOL not when I am not wearing it every season.

So I have heard good things about store 132 and 138 at the south bund fabric market... can anyone talk about these stores in particular or over coats in particular for Shanghai. I am not looking for the best quality but I am definitely looking for something that looks good and can last me a few years. From what I read off http://www.travelandleisure.com/local-experts/shanghai/best-tailors-shanghai-fabric-market I should not be spending more than 400-600 CNY. I have a budget of about 2000 CNY but I would not be willing to spend that at the Fabric Market probably some place more reliable, I would also prefer it to be knocked out quick, overnight or over a weekend?

I am arriving on the 30th this coming Friday and I wont have a coat with me so I would prefer to have one done quickly..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads