• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF approved/recommended Trad books?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Official-Preppy-Handbook-Cover.png

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend "My Man Jeeves" by P. G. Wodehouse.

This is how it starts, "Jeeves--my man, you know--is really a most extraordinary chap. So capable. Honestly, I shouldn't know what to do without him. On broader lines he's like those chappies who sit peering sadly over the marble battlements at the Pennsylvania Station in the place marked "Inquiries." You know the Johnnies I mean. You go up to them and say: "When's the next train for Melonsquashville, Tennessee?" and they reply, without stopping to think, "Two-forty-three, track ten, change at San Francisco." And they're right every time. Well, Jeeves gives you just the same impression of omniscience.

As an instance of what I mean, I remember meeting Monty Byng in Bond Street one morning, looking the last word in a grey check suit, and I felt I should never be happy till I had one like it. I dug the address of the tailors out of him, and had them working on the thing inside the hour.

"Jeeves," I said that evening. "I'm getting a check suit like that one of Mr. Byng's."

"Injudicious, sir," he said firmly. "It will not become you."

"What absolute rot! It's the soundest thing I've struck for years."

"Unsuitable for you, sir."

Well, the long and the short of it was that the confounded thing came home, and I put it on, and when I caught sight of myself in the glass I nearly swooned. Jeeves was perfectly right. I looked a cross between a music-hall comedian and a cheap bookie. Yet Monty had looked fine in absolutely the same stuff. These things are just Life's mysteries, and that's all there is to it.

But it isn't only that Jeeves's judgment about clothes is infallible, though, of course, that's really the main thing. The man knows everything."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Official-Preppy-Handbook-Cover.png

I thought this book was a sham written by Harris to fool the sheep on the AA Trad forum. No?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Plum, Jeeves and Bertie, but they aren;t really 'Trad" at all are they? Honestly, I was wholly unfamiliar with the term "Trad" before I found this site, I knew elements of the style and whatnot, just wondering if they were any books on the subject, preferably with big pictures and small words
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I Honestly, I was wholly unfamiliar with the term "Trad" before I found this site, I knew elements of the style and whatnot, just wondering if they were any books on the subject, preferably with big pictures and small words
smile.gif

Well, it's all very murky, but it appears that the term "trad" was invented by AAAC member "Harris" -- notwithstanding evidence that the Japanese were using the word as early as the '70s; we just gloss over that inconvenient fact in silence.

Anyway, this "Harris" was a total fraud who read TOPH, then pretended to be a high born WASP who had grown up with the style. He attracted quite a following on AAAC, and fooled dozens of sheep into believing that the style -- which is wholly his invention -- is real and historical. So, in short, there are no books, except TOPH, which is a gag that "Harris" didn't get.

Got it?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Well, it's all very murky, but it appears that the term "trad" was invented by AAAC member "Harris" -- notwithstanding evidence that the Japanese were using the word as early as the '70s; we just gloss over that inconvenient fact in silence.

Anyway, this "Harris" was a total fraud who read TOPH, then pretended to be a high born WASP who had grown up with the style. He attracted quite a following on AAAC, and fooled dozens of sheep into believing that the style -- which is wholly his invention -- is real and historical. So, in short, there are no books, except TOPH, which is a gag that "Harris" didn't get.

Got it?

You mean to say that my entire life is just a figment of some disgruntled preppy's mind?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got it?

How come you know, so much but say it, all so boring ?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got it?

Heh.
Wow.

Was their a name for this style before? Honestly, I just like the looks described as 'trad' in the WAYW thread (alan c and the like).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Was their a name for this style before? Honestly, I just like the looks described as 'trad' in the WAYW thread (alan c and the like).

No, it didn't exist. It was made up on the Internet in 2004. Whatever photos you find of people actually dressed this way in the '50s, '60s and '70s have been doctored.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Connemara's back, the Kabbaz thread has been squirrelled... I can't keep track of this place any more. It's all happening so fast....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
It was called "prep." Though there are certain religious differences they matter only to high priests of the cults.

Don't listen to him. "Prep/preppy" is no less a fraud, invented by Lisa Birnbach for the aforementioned book. Again, the style does not exist. At best, you can look to what jazz musicians in the late '50s and early '60s wore. It's authentic, but it's not trad/prep/Ivy/whatever. The phony trad/preps copied those guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads