• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seersucker blazer sleeve shorten to fit 32" shirt sleeve

reincarnation

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice how I should best proceed to have my Richard James double-breasted seersucker blazer sleeves altered to adapt to my 32" SHIRT sleeve length?

Sleeve buttonholes uncut.

Since I didn't buy it at Richard James, I doubt that they would alter it. Besides the shipping cost from Germany to London and back.

Thank you.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any decent alterations tailor will be able to finish the sleeves if you are okay with nonworking buttons. Working buttonholes are more specialized and it will be harder to find someone who can do them well, depending on where you live. Poorly made working buttonholes are IMO much worse than nonworking buttons, so be sure to ask to see examples of their work.

I would caution that you need to be sure that your shirt sleeve length is correct. Wear the shirt when you go to the tailor and have them verify that the shirt sleeve length is correct, then the correct jacket sleeve length can be determined.

reincarnation

Reaction score
Dear Breakaway 01

That's good advice I should wear my 32" shirt sleeves when I visit the possible seamstresses. I didn't think of that. Also your suggestion I ask them to judge if 32"
for the shirt sleeves is best.

I can't afford working buttonholes. Last time I paid Swiss Franks for 4 on each sleeve. She was a tailor whose master in Zürich was English and specialized in English tailoring, I saw her interview in the street magazine "Surprise", but the second time I asked she refused and said she only does bespoke.

I wish I knew a tailor I could trust in Basel or Bern.

Thank you!

reincarnation

Reaction score
Dear Breakaway 01

That's good advice I should wear my 32" shirt sleeves when I visit the possible seamstresses. I didn't think of that. Also your suggestion I ask them to judge if 32"

I can't afford working buttonholes. Last time I paid Swiss Franks for 4 on each sleeve. She was a tailor whose master in Zürich was English and specialized in English tailoring, I saw her interview in the street magazine "Surprise", but the second time I asked she refused and said she only does bespoke.

Thank you!
I paid 100 Swiss Franks for 8 holes.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Breakaway 01

Thank you!
that's okay, I don't have working buttonholes on most of my jackets.
The end of your shirt cuff, when buttoned, should rest at the base of your hand where it meets your wrist. Most people like the jacket sleeve to be just a little shorter so that some shirt cuff is exposed - maybe 1/8-1/4".

In terms of finding a tailor, if you can't find one through word of mouth from friends/acquaintances, then I'd suggest calling the best tailored menswear stores in your area and asking them where they send their jackets to be tailored. If they do it in house, a few of them will accept outside work. If they send it out to a local tailor, in many/most cases they will tell you who they use.

reincarnation

Reaction score
Dear Breakaway 01

I am impressed by your suggestions which I experience as fresh wind. You seem quite intelligent and clever.

Your idea I ask the men's clothes stores locally whom they recommend refreshes my memory because I overlooked this. I shall review the local men's clothes shops and see
if I overlooked anything.

That suggestion encourages me.

I had two persons in mind: a Czech seamstress whose shop is in a better quartier, and an Italian whose shop is opposite another by Albanians or Turks.

I don't trust Third World tailors here in Germanic lack of aesthetic where there is
only greed, but no sense of beauty. Third World tailors and seamstresses in UK assimilate the superior taste.

Of course Italy is an infinite source of good taste but without knowledge of Italian and somebody preferably from UK who lives there, impossible to judge. There was a highly knowledgeable on Ask Andy I believe named Mr Pipps, but I lost access to my previous email account. He lives in Italy.

All my shirts are for cufflinks.

I changed my choice of measurements when I ordered my last two shirts reduced in price at Charles Tyrwhitt from sleeve 31.5 to 32 and from collar
16.5 to 17.5. I've washed them a few times and din't know for sure if they are fully shrunk now. You can imagine I'm forced to order only where I can get my RTW shirt sleeves shortened.

I have no acquaintances who are interested in clothes or their Swiss-German or German taste is ugly.

I shall read over your text on shirt cuff length in relation to my double-breasted jacket sleeves with my girlfriend and ex-girlfriend to be sure I'm prepared before speaking with a
tradesperson.

I noticed that sweat salts from disco dancing pill even wool on my CT blazer sleeves. They destroyed Fox lightweight flannel quickly.

Thank you very much!

reincarnation

Reaction score
PS: My measurements for clothes were based on guesses and sometimes "lucky punches", but somehow, especially because I don't have a tie it took a very long time before I realized when I buttoned my shirt collar it was far too tight and after many washings of my shirts my sleeves rather short. One advantage of monster slim fit 17.5 is the length which never slips out of my trousers when dancing.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hightechtraders