• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Supergenius

Reaction score
My family got me some Maison Margiela edc for a gift a while back. They employ Margiela’s “replica” methodology and try to replicate various iconic scents. I have “At the barber”, “Jazz Club” and “By the Fire”. They are all very nice with “barber” being my go-to for its clean, fresh scent.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mendittorosa's Archetipo: Mendittorosa's prices are annoyingly high, with most bottles hovering around the $250 mark, but their scents are excellent. This one opens with fir balsam, pink pepper, and incense, and then moves into patchouli, vetiver, amber, and some kind of blond wood. The tiniest hint of oakmoss in the background. It's an atypical take on your traditional "outdoorsy" and "walk in the forest" scent. Slightly sweet and floral, with blond wood, fir balsam, and vetiver dominating.

If I had one criticism, it's that, sometimes, it can smell a bit like a candle. There's even a strange, almost waxy overlay on this.

House of Vartan, FWIW, has a bunch of Mendittorosa's scents on sale right now. Twisted Lily also occasionally discounts them through their sales. My favorites thus far from them are Alfa, North, and this one. Le Mat is also pretty good for a rose, although I don't particularly like rose.
where did you sample these? can't seem to find

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing Dior Higher Energy today, which I think ma femme bought me at an airport. It's light and sort of fun, but doesn't seem over the top in any notable way to me.

I wore Creed Aventus a couple days ago, and I don't know what it is about that scent, but everyone was praising it. Yesterday was Dior Homme and is a closet favorite of mine but maybe more subtle. If I ask, people love it (i.e., I'll ask my family not strangers!), but if not mentioned, I won't necessarily accrue unsolicited compliments.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Tam Dao but have been out of it for months. I need to buy some more.

It’s one of the few fragrances of which I have multiple backup bottles of the old square-shaped eau de toilet.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm trying a sample of Comme des Garcons Garage (current formulation). Top notes, well it smells like sunscreen on me. It also smells like licorice for the first few minutes, so you add the two together, and I'm reminded of being a child at the beach with my grandmother. I also get a whiff of scratch and sniff sticker. Fascinating. Dunno if it's going to change over the course of the day or not.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, dieworkwear. Claire, the third contributor in that piece, is such a good writer.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time in two weeks temperatures been under 30c.Tom Ford Noir de Noir.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dieworkwear. Claire, the third contributor in that piece, is such a good writer.
She is indeed. Her reviews are first rate.
She and I swapped bottles in 2018, she sent me Santal 33, which was a year long obsession of mine. Still is. Trying to remember what I sent her for that. Her Best of 2018 concludes with praise for two of my favorite scents, Bruno Fazzonlari Feu Secret (my decant is gone; need a bottle) and Slumberhouse New Sibet.

Tonight the cold weather is rolling back in so I broke out my decant of the great and scarce Norma Kamali Incense, and now I am in a cloud of sawed wood, pitch, tar and smoke. It is really outstanding, if you enjoy incense fragrances.
cheers guys!

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Penhaligon's Esprit du Roi for me, Terre d'Hermes and CDG Wonderwood for leisure time. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to scents, especially the boutique ones discussed here.

*ninja edit*

Tom Ford's Oud Wood is also great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads