• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Louis Vuitton's Nouveau Monde. Tried it on over the weekend, got a sample, and totally fell for it. Got a 100ml bottle engraved.

Damn, it's a really nice oud on my skin.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying a couple of new ones today from Art de Parfum. The company reminds me a bit of Yosh and Olfactive Studio. The scents are clean and modern, bright and light, and unique without being challenging to wear.

The first one is Gin and Tonic, which smells just like the drink. There's a nice juniper note here that recalls the smell of gin. Then a bit of watery cucumber and lemon zest to give it a fresh feel, while a cedar note comes out in the dry down.

There are a bunch of scents like this nowadays modeled after clear, mixed alcoholic drinks. I don't know if this one does anything different, but it does it well. It's effervescent, bright, and zesty. Would be a nice scent for summer. Projection and silage are soft, although you can probably get a bit more out of this if you spray it on clothes. The scent is linear enough where I don't think it would affect it much.

Second is Excentrique Moi. I get pink pepper, patchouli, white musk, and black tea. This one is again really easy to wear and friendly, but it also has a weird dark-bright quality that makes it feel neither here nor there in terms of seasonality. The pachouli-tea accord feels like it would be good for fall/ winter, but it also has a bright quality that keeps it far from dark, smoky territory. At the same time, it's too dark really for spring/ summer.

That makes it easier to wear, but also ... not terribly satisfying. Although if you're looking for a more modern version of a Russian tea scent, this could be for you. The patchouli is really nice without having that bathroom scent dish or hippie quality; the black tea note isn't too thick. Again, projection and silage seem on the low side of moderate, but you can probably spray this on clothes.

Both really great compositions. And reasonably affordable at about $135-150 for a 50ml bottle.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Louis Vuitton's Nouveau Monde. Tried it on over the weekend, got a sample, and totally fell for it. Got a 100ml bottle engraved.

Damn, it's a really nice oud on my skin.

tried all 5 but i thought nouveau monde is the best.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this list of recommendations of summer scents? I saw a few about which I'm unaware:
https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/best-fragrances-for-summer/

Reasonably solid list. I don't like Gypsy Water, and find those those two Tom Fords to be too sultry/ opulent (like many TF scents). Acqua di Gio is kinda generic, but sometimes that can be a good thing. The others are good scents though, but the only one on there I actually wear is Terre.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying a couple of new scents today from Cogno-Scenti, a small company based in San Francisco .

The first is Tomato Leather, which is an unusual take on leather. It's fresh and herby, with the smell of tomato vines out in the sun. It mixes tomato leaf, clary sage, leather, and tobacco. Far in the background there are some hints of oud and frankincense, which give the scent a woodier feel in the dry down.

The second is Warm Carrot. This is earthy, woody, and warm. Has the smell of dry carrots, ylang ylang, amber, vanilla, and vetiver. It's resinous and spicy. The floral notes are really nicely rounded out here, such that it's sweet without actually making you think of florals.

Both scents are really interesting. They remind me of community gardens, thick slices of rye bread, and big bowls of vegetable soup. They're dirty without being stinky; outdoorsy without being forest-y; hippie without being patchouli. This feels like something you'd wear with Sassafras or big coveralls and flannel shirts. It's the smell of Berkeley co-ops, community gardens, and Craftsman homes.

Both are nice, but maybe a little too out there for me. If you like the idea of more experimental, slightly crunchy hippie scents, however, this could be good. They're available at Tigerlily and their own online store

https://tigerlilyperfumery.com/collections/vendors?q=COGNOSCENTI

https://www.cogno-scenti.com/product-page/sample-set

165827_256448981133315_535306934_n.jpg

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to stumble into Profumeria Artistica e Naturale Amaranthus in Siena, run by a very friendly and knowleagble chap who almost immediately knew what I liked after some short conversation. Came away with ‘Arabian Horses’ Pierre Guillaume, a delightful and slightly more accessible sibling to LM Parfum’s ‘Hard Leather’. Also ‘Cuir’ by Mona Di Orio and the owner’s own creation - ‘Terre Di Siena’. It’s packed with wonderful grapefruit, incense and oud, plus smoke, leather and vanilla.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any folks who can give a comparison review between Bleu de Chanel EDT vs EDP vs Parfum? Or at least EDT vs EDP?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ryder by Ex Idolo: Piped tobacco, sweet rum, frankincense, sandalwood, and amber. This is resinous and spicy, masculine and rich. Smells a little like mulled wine mixed with spices, tobacco, and rum. It's good, but a little oily. And the oils are really the heart and base of the fragrances, which is annoying cause I feel like things don't spread out all that well when you try to rub the fragrance into your skin. The oil spreads, tearing apart the "layers." You end up with the opening on one wrist; the heart and base on the other. Juice is also a little darker, which all together makes me anxious about wearing the fragrance close to nice clothes.

It's a good scent, but there are so many solid tobacco-rum fragrances out there, I don't know if I'd want to deal with the weird oily quality here.

rossoz

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Polo Blue appreciated.

I like Davidoff Cool Water, Acqua de Gio. sorta liked Polo Black.

Thanks

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only store near me is Walmart and I work in a conservative environment so looks like Azzaro Chrome is my new summer scent. Ubiquitous, but very good at what it does and lasts all day.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I wore vintage Monsieur Givenchy, which is an intensely oakmoss chypre very similar to vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur.
Tonight I’m wearing Fazzolari Ummagumma, a chocolate-heavy gourmand but with an incense note and overall dryness which doesn’t repel me.

karmaguy

Reaction score
Tried out a few scents that were req’d from this thread. Loved the longevity/projection on APOM by MFK but it’s a little too powder-y of a scent for me. Voyager by Hermes is quite excellent but i only get like two hours before it fades completely.

Santal 33 is a nice scent and killer on length/projection but it almost might be too much for me. Gonna try it out a few more times I think...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads