• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been happy using multiple (3-4) sprays of Acqua di bergamotto as my summer daily driver, it is still present as a skin scent 12+ hours later, and typically projects for the first ~4-5 hours after spraying (not totally sure).

@HORNS - I love that Tauer fragrances project so much, it makes you really appreciate their composition and the value they represent. I still haven't selected which one to purchase as a full bottle, I love each of them so much.

I think my next FB is going to be CdG Kyoto prior to F/W. Are there any sales at the moment on CdG fragrances? I missed one earlier this year, still kicking myself for it (on my 2nd sample of Kyoto). Also eying the sale prices on Creed's Original Vetiver on Fragrance Net and wondering if I love my sample enough to do that.

Andy Tauer is one of the few honest perfumers out there, and I'm more than happy to support him, along with Bruno Fazzolari and Abd es Salaam.

blacktaro

Reaction score
Encre Noire for the morning, then a brief workout and shower during lunch break, then few extra spray of TF Italian Cypress

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orto Oarisi Stercus EDP one way to describe it is simply large. A dominating melange of spice, earth and fragrant smoke.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some new ones lately.

Anatole Lebreton's Bois Lumiere: The opening is a bit too sweet for me, but that quickly fades away into a honey-based scent backed up with cedar, sage, and a bit of beeswax. Those background notes, to me, make the scent a bit more interesting. About ten or fifteen minutes into it though, this waffles between something like eating maple syrup covered pancakes in the countryside and smelling cat pee (there's an animalic, almost urinous, sour note always hovering somewhere in there). At the drydown, that sourness fades and you're left with a slightly smokey vanilla scent. Nice overall, but I wish it didn't have that sourness in the middle.

Profumo's Cuoio dei Dolci (Sweet Leather): A gourmand for people who normally don't like gourmands (such as me). Apparently was a bespoke fragrance for some dentist who wanted something with castoreum, tonka, and tobacco, in that order, mixed with cocoa, vanilla, ylang, and mandarin in the background. It basically plays out like you'd expect from the list of notes -- a sweet, spicy leather, but one that's soft and subtle, rather than overpowering. Sort of reminds me of some of the Ethiopian and Eritrean food markets I've been to, where there's a hint of incense mixed with the smell of spices and fruits. On his blog, Luca Turin described it as a "gingerbread ottoman," which sounds about right. A lovely fragrance, but expensive at ~$215 or so for a 50ml bottle.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amouage for the last three days: Lyric Man on Monday, Lyric Woman yesterday, and Fate Man today. They're among my three favorite Amouages. Lyric Man is a bright, soapy rose with a lovely lime note on top. Lyric Woman is a warm spicy (cardamom) rose that's perfectly appropriate for a guy. And Fate Man is a big immortelle and cumin scent. As I've said a million times, those are some of my very favorite notes.

Tomorrow I should be receiving my samples of the three newest Jul et Mad scents. I'm very much looking forward to trying them.

Nemesis_4

Reaction score
Amouage for the last three days: Lyric Man on Monday, Lyric Woman yesterday, and Fate Man today. They're among my three favorite Amouages. Lyric Man is a bright, soapy rose with a lovely lime note on top. Lyric Woman is a warm spicy (cardamom) rose that's perfectly appropriate for a guy. And Fate Man is a big immortelle and cumin scent. As I've said a million times, those are some of my very favorite notes.

Tomorrow I should be receiving my samples of the three newest Jul et Mad scents. I'm very much looking forward to trying them.

Be sure to give a follow-up on those Jul et Mad scents - really curious to hear your thoughts on Fugit Amor, looks interesting

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Bruno Fazzolari Feu Secret recently and have really been enjoying this fragrance, especially the drydown, which is a very comforting orris and birch tar combination.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Retesting Eau d'Italy Paestum Rose which I've really been enjoying and is now on my 'to buy' list. It's a little jammy, but mostly a sweet slightly smokey rose, and not too fresh, which is how I like them. A sort of resemblance to something like Jubilation XXV for men in that it's fruity and smokey but this is more about roses than incense. I might test this with a layered spray of an incense scent.

mr.invincible

Reaction score
where in NY do you guys go out and try out cologne?

i just got into this game and discovered le labo. i bought their discovery set and really like le labo the noir 29. i am trying to find a similar scent but less expensive.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
where in NY do you guys go out and try out cologne?

i just got into this game and discovered le labo. i bought their discovery set and really like le labo the noir 29. i am trying to find a similar scent but less expensive.

There's really nothing out there that is like The Noir 29. For retailers, first and foremost I recommend MiN, then Osswald. For chain store I recommend Barneys.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wearing Mon Seul Désir, one of the three new Jul et Mad scents. It's a leathery scent that's nicely softened and rounded out with nutmeg and benzoin. There's an oud note in there that's much more prominent on my gf than on me. It's a very pleasant barnyardy oud. Unfortunately, I don't get as much of that on my skin. It has very good longevity and moderate projection.

My favorite of the three is Bella Donna, which I will talk about tomorrow.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today was a warm day, and because of this rarity I like to take advantage by wearing some heavier fragrances so they can radiate a little more than usual, so wore Bandit parfum. This is a great classic leather chypre, and can easily be perceived as such with the very angular oakmoss skeleton, but it has this almost aloe vera greenness contribute by the galbanum.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I'm also revisiting a classic. Caron PuH. Goes to show how our sense of smell/tastes change and refine over time.

I NEVER liked this one. I "got" it, years and years ago, and tried to enjoy it because of its place in the canon. But it never moved me.

Rewearing it now in warmer weather and years of differing experiences/tastes... I really enjoy it. I get a soft creaminess and warmth on the skin where before I just got that BLAST of Barbershop lavender.

One of the most fun aspects of this hobby is that you can always revisit something and surprise yourself with how it (or you??) have changed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads