• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you like DeBachmakov, pete? That's been on my list to try for a while.

I think it is very well done and pretty unique, but i have not tried it on skin, so i still do not know how it will turn out on my skin. I am really partial towards green scents though.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This morning I tried on Byredo's 1996 Inez & Vinoodh, which I rather like. Lots of evergreen that is quite long-lasting in the beginning (over an hour) but then becomes a little richer and complex. Those who like Tom Ford's Italian Cypress might want to give this a sniff.

I feel like I'm the only person in perfume world who doesn't really enjoy 1996.

How do you like Neila Vermeer  Mohur? The rose-saffron-sandalwood combo. Am trying that one today.  The sandalwood note is quite nice, and the sandalwood+safran in it reminds me of Safran Troublant. Not sure I care for the rose note in this one though--smells like fruit juice to me.

That's been on my to-try list, but I haven't done it yet. I have to say, I'm not nuts about fruity roses though. (That's what I was complaining about the other day with litchi.)

I am wearing TF Noir today.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scent of Saturday Night:
Amber Absolute. Wow, the praise for this one is certainly justified! Awesome scent.
worship2.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
amongst my top 5, out of probably 150-200 bottles. It's got monster projection and longevity and IMO smells thick and rich. Love the stuff and treasure my bottle dearly.

Re: Shiso, if it's something any of you are really hunting down, then CdG did an earlier series of leaves and one of them was Shiso. I remember smelling the sample in the first swap box many years ago IIRC.

@horns, btw I just reread my response about Chanel EdC and it may have seemed to sound aggressive but I assure you it wasn't.

@PetePan, many of the Fords you listed aren't really even his popular ones. Some of them yes, but he's got lots of other winners in the bunch. Then again, I found the Hermessence the same as you find the Fords, most aren't FBW. I only own one (Narguile) and would maybe consider another (Vetiver) but not at those prices...

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super Bowl Sunday, and the AA is still projecting like a linebacker on a blitz. Its really good stuff. Seems to be a healthy portion of incense in the mix, no? And a boozy note too. Whatever, its terrific. OK, so now I have to track down a decant.

Scent of the Game Day: PG Felanilla. This one is iris-dominant to my nose, which is absolutely A-OK for me, since Iris has sort of come out of nowhere to be my favorite scent note--at least for now. Have a great day all.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honore des Pres Nu Green today. Supposed to be an organic fragrance. Very close to the skin and very light. on the whole it's not the standard I'd expect from Olivia Giacobetti, who is responsible for two of my favourites: Idole and Philosykos.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Y'all choo-chaws can guess what I am donning (wearing) today it is Amber Absolute.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Nuit de Tubereuse (L'Artisan)
SOTD: Fleur de Chine (Tom Ford)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you tried Iris Ukiyoe'? I think that one is terrific. The iris note in it is good, but I also get daffodils (narcissus) from this perfume, big time. Not all daffodils are fragrant, but those that are…wow! One of my favorite garden scents. Iris Ukiyoe nails fragrant daffodils perfectly.  I also get early blooming magnolia from it.  IU is on my buy list.

I have been looking for Rose Ikebana and Osmanthe Yunnan to try, also.

I've got a sample of Iris Ukiyoe, which is a very generous one like all the other Hermessence samples, and find it rather . . . screechy compared to the iris fragrances that I typically like. It seems to me that JC Ellena wanted a concept of the iris flower whereas I like the more dense, translucent rather than transparent type of iris.

@horns, btw I just reread my response about Chanel EdC and it may have seemed to sound aggressive but I assure you it wasn't.

Heavens, no, you were just just making discussion!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've got a sample of Iris Ukiyoe, which is a very generous one like all the other Hermessence samples, and find it rather . . . screechy compared to the iris fragrances that I typically like. It seems to me that JC Ellena wanted a concept of the iris flower whereas I like the more dense, translucent rather than transparent type of iris.

I agree completely with this. I really thought I'd enjoy Iris Ukiyoe, but I found it harsh and screechy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads