• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today it's a Bay Rum roundup. Burt's Bees on one arm, SCS Bay Rum with a Twist on the other.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Paul Sebastian, the black bottle. I have both their regular one and this one. I love both.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serge Lutens' Gris Clair

Nonk

Reaction score
The Dunhill London that I have just got for free for taking out a subscription to GQ.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a few pointers from the pro's.

I haven't worn cologne regularly since high school. I'm looking for suggestions for one cologne that I could wear all the time as a 'signature cologne' per se. I am looking for (hopefully) something a little more exclusive than the designer ones I've worn in the past. Since I'm young (20's) I don't want the leather and tabacco kind of smells older men are known for. Something fresh and different.

Colognes I've liked in the past:
1) Carrolina Herrera 112
2) Pi
3) Aqua di Gio (yeah...I know)

Can you guys give some recs?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I need a few pointers from the pro's.

I haven't worn cologne regularly since high school. I'm looking for suggestions for one cologne that I could wear all the time as a 'signature cologne' per se. I am looking for (hopefully) something a little more exclusive than the designer ones I've worn in the past. Since I'm young (20's) I don't want the leather and tabacco kind of smells older men are known for. Something fresh and different.

Colognes I've liked in the past:
1) Carrolina Herrera 112
2) Pi
3) Aqua di Gio (yeah...I know)

Can you guys give some recs?

hmmm. You'll probably end up doing a lot of sampling before finding one to settle with, but if I had to throw a few at you, I think I'd start with the following to sample - chosen largely for 212 and AdG:

Aramis New West
CDG 2 Man
Herrera for Men
Guerlain Vetiver
Chanel Platinum Egoiste
Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise Man
Estee Lauder Pure White Linen (in the women's section, no one will know the difference).

These are all fairly light, modestly sweet, contemporary scents, fairly easy to sample/obtain, and most have fallen by the wayside for more recent scents.

Moving off the beaten path...
Caldey Island Lavender (Or SCS Lavender cologne)
Guerlain Heritage
DK Fuel for Men
Caron Pour Un Homme
Parfums de Nicolai Baladin

However, these are harder to come by, generally you're going to drop the $$$ on a bottle blind and hope for the best since samples are nearly nonexistant.

I'm sure more will come to me, but check basenotes.net and see what else crops up.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - a damp musty day, barely a chill in the air, but rain on the way. Kouros Fraicheur for me.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
. . .
I got a 100ml bottle of the Chanel Cuir de Russie at that same little shop where I picked up the Fracas parfum. It turned out to be a refill, not a spray bottle so I got an atomizer at Muji this morning.

Superpoop Cuir de Russie is awesome. Like sticking your head in a diaper genie.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I knew you'd love it!!!!! Now if you can just get you some Jicky, all will be ****** in your world!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I knew you'd love it!!!!! Now if you can just get you some Jicky, all will be ****** in your world!

you guys are shittin' me? You like those?

Guess I have a few more to try then.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
hmmm. You'll probably end up doing a lot of sampling before finding one to settle with, but if I had to throw a few at you, I think I'd start with the following to sample - chosen largely for 212 and AdG:

Aramis New West
CDG 2 Man
Herrera for Men
Guerlain Vetiver
Chanel Platinum Egoiste
Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise Man
Estee Lauder Pure White Linen (in the women's section, no one will know the difference).

These are all fairly light, modestly sweet, contemporary scents, fairly easy to sample/obtain, and most have fallen by the wayside for more recent scents.

Moving off the beaten path...
Caldey Island Lavender (Or SCS Lavender cologne)
Guerlain Heritage
DK Fuel for Men
Caron Pour Un Homme
Parfums de Nicolai Baladin

However, these are harder to come by, generally you're going to drop the $$$ on a bottle blind and hope for the best since samples are nearly nonexistant.

I'm sure more will come to me, but check basenotes.net and see what else crops up.

Thanks.

I googled the Baladin and the first result is a review by a mysterious Thomas from Houston...

Anyone else?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Thanks.

I googled the Baladin and the first result is a review by a mysterious Thomas from Houston...

Anyone else?

I have no idea who you're talking about....

Baladin gets zero love, I've only found like three guys (in Texas no less) who wear it at all. Even on the perfume boards it's seldom mentioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads