• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried the fragrances from the British maker Haeckels? The Wafts from the Loft guys love this house and have reviewed several. One of their favorites is Pegwell Bay. All their frags are inspired by various locations in the locale, and they correlate each with geographic coordinates and include a really nicely done film clip for each. Looks like they maybe started out as a skin care company. Their packaging is interesting, sustainable and for instance for their candles is made of repurposed agricultural materials bound by mycelium.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing allegedly-vintage Van Cleef & Arpels PH today; I thought I had tracked down a decant seller who was using one of the bottles with a "good" formulation but this mostly smells like expensive soap and I am not getting the "powerhouse leather" character people refer to. It smells good, not a bad scent by any means, but not a knockout. (Could be this is the good stuff and I just don't smell it how others do, of course.)

I was recently sent a sample of VC&H vintage PH from a legit vendor I've recently procured a number of vintage bottles from. The sample I got had lots of power and depth. Not a meek fragrance and quite stunning.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find that the middle and drydown of the vintage Mitsouko are richer (for lack of a better word) and last a good deal longer; there's some interview where Thierry Wasser said he discovered, while working with the new low-atranol oakmoss, that the stuff that got fractionated out was important as a fixative and had to find workarounds. But I'm with you both, it's still a very good scent in the current production and given the restrictions he was working under it is impressive.
I completely agree about the vintage lasting longer. Interesting on the new oak moss/fixative...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried the fragrances from the British maker Haeckels? The Wafts from the Loft guys love this house and have reviewed several. One of their favorites is Pegwell Bay. All their frags are inspired by various locations in the locale, and they correlate each with geographic coordinates and include a really nicely done film clip for each. Looks like they maybe started out as a skin care company. Their packaging is interesting, sustainable and for instance for their candles is made of repurposed agricultural materials bound by mycelium.
I haven't tried Haeckels, but a lot of their favorite British barbershop type stuff I find kind of linear and ho-hum. I kind of think maybe these kinds of houses are cultural and something I'm not really into because I didn't grow up around it.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received delivery of some Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve -- $8, I think, plastic bottle aftershave that attracts a lot of grudging respect from the Basenotes crowd. I have a splash on my wrist now. Very nice for the price, to be sure, it's a stern, stiff leather or perhaps leather chypre, with some Aramis overlap. All that said, I'd rather wear Aramis and Aramis isn't expensive enough that there's any reason not to wear it whenever I want, so I am not sure this will get much use. But certainly tied for my favorite in the Clubman range (the OG will always be tops, less because I affirmatively like the scent than the fact that it is such an immediate memory-trigger).

shoewarma

Reaction score
Received delivery of some Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve -- $8, I think, plastic bottle aftershave that attracts a lot of grudging respect from the Basenotes crowd. I have a splash on my wrist now. Very nice for the price, to be sure, it's a stern, stiff leather or perhaps leather chypre, with some Aramis overlap. All that said, I'd rather wear Aramis and Aramis isn't expensive enough that there's any reason not to wear it whenever I want, so I am not sure this will get much use. But certainly tied for my favorite in the Clubman range (the OG will always be tops, less because I affirmatively like the scent than the fact that it is such an immediate memory-trigger).
Nice. I picked up the OG a month ago, and I was surprised to find out how close it smelled to the shampoo, which I also have. It's a great product, if anyone cares to know. I like the scent, but it's not as great as some people make it sound. It has a bit of a urine-like quality, but it dries down nicely into a mossy vanilla.

I wore Tom Ford Beau de Jour today. I may have made a post about it a few weeks ago, but I don't remember. I enjoy this a lot, and have a hard time believing the re-release is different than the Private Blend edition. Those "differences" that people say they smell are only because of the different presentation and price. It would be plausible to say that the price correlates to quality and scent itself, but I don't see it. Private Blend fragrances don't smell any better than those in the Signature line, and everyone knows they're overpriced.

People need to stop kidding themselves. I believe that something like a vintage Guerlain may not smell the same as its newer formulation. But something like Beau de Jour being different from year to year is pretty ridiculous to me.

Anyway, it's a fantastic scent that really makes me feel great. I love how minty it is at the start, and the creamy texture it expresses throughout is a real delight. I think it's going to be great now that the weather is warming up and it's not overly hot.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With this mind I was browsing department store websites this morning to see if any were offer a sale. Is this out of stock in the US or did they discontinue it?!

Unfortunately, long discontinued. Not easy to find either. A few pop up on the bay here and there. Prices aren't too crazy, at least not yet. Watched a bottle of 200 ml Chanel Sycomore EDT auction for over $700 yesterday.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Unfortunately, long discontinued. Not easy to find either. A few pop up on the bay here and there. Prices aren't too crazy, at least not yet. Watched a bottle of 200 ml Chanel Sycomore EDT auction for over $700 yesterday.

Seems like the rest of the “Les Parisiens” are still in stock at various US department stores. I would assume Derby was the best seller out of the line. What a cruel discontinuation. I know my local Neiman Marcus still had a tester out in January, fingers crossed they haven’t had to send back old stock.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With this mind I was browsing department store websites this morning to see if any were offer a sale. Is this out of stock in the US or did they discontinue it?!

They’ve rereleased it as an “exclusif” that’s distributed only at official Guerlain boutiques — so I think either at standalone Guerlain shops or in something like a Neiman’s that has a large scent floor with a Hermès area, a Guerlain area, etc.

It’s in a new bottle, costs something like $200, and presumably isn’t quite up to snuff compared to the old stuff. I have 2ml of the new that I got on a Neiman’s run but haven’t worn it but once several months ago and never smelled the old stuff. Might give it a wear this week and report back.

But also just saw the message right above as i was typing this so could be that the exclusive is discontinued too?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the rest of the “Les Parisiens” are still in stock at various US department stores. I would assume Derby was the best seller out of the line. What a cruel discontinuation. I know my local Neiman Marcus still had a tester out in January, fingers crossed they haven’t had to send back old stock.

Wow, surprising to hear your NM still had a tester. I don't know how popular it was. This is a good review from WMSSL dated 2012 and mentions it was not a huge seller.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’ve rereleased it as an “exclusif” that’s distributed only at official Guerlain boutiques — so I think either at standalone Guerlain shops or in something like a Neiman’s that has a large scent floor with a Hermès area, a Guerlain area, etc.

It’s in a new bottle, costs something like $200, and presumably isn’t quite up to snuff compared to the old stuff. I have 2ml of the new that I got on a Neiman’s run but haven’t worn it but once several months ago and never smelled the old stuff. Might give it a wear this week and report back.

But also just saw the message right above as i was typing this so could be that the exclusive is discontinued too?

Just did a search on NM and Bergdorf and it still shows up but listed as Sold Out. Maybe only discontinued in the last couple of years?

I believe I've inquired about it with the Guerlain Boutique at the Bellagio in Vegas in the last year and was told it was discontinued, and they are pretty much ground zero for anything currently still available in the US from Guerlain and have a lot of stuff other retailers don't have. Maybe still found in EU vendors?

shoewarma

Reaction score
I'm wearing Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum today. It's a great day for it; nice and warm, but not sunny at all. I think what I enjoy most about Piper Nigrum is how intensely medicinal it is. I don't normally like medicinal qualities, but this fragrance is absolutely top notch. And it's not like it has the nose-clearing menthol/camphor of Vicks VapoRub, but rather has the herbal and spicy smell of such ointments. Lorenzo Villoresi is such a talented and underrated perfumer. I just wish I can try the entire line.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Wow, surprising to hear your NM still had a tester. I don't know how popular it was. This is a good review from WMSSL dated 2012 and mentions it was not a huge seller.

my local Saks had it last year as well until they stripped the Guerlain selection down to aqua allegorias,vetiver and current women’s releases ?. I think it was always a cult fragrance but I hear more discussion about it then the other Les Parisiens, so I assumed we see those go before Derby.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current-production Polo Green from a decant today - never smelled the Cosmair or Warner vintages, but this smells pretty good. Strong camphoraceous opening, drydown has a strong pine/leather and what I am smelling as some soapy fougere character. Not bad at all, will have to track down the vintage at some point to see what the fuss is about. Lots of people think that Mousse Iluminee from Rogue has commonalities with the old Polo; based on this I can certainly see the possibility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics