• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Washington DC?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be in DC next week. Any sartorial gems a European who tries to only go to the US a couple of times per year shouldn’t miss?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohh, there’s an Alden store? It’s impossibke to try on the narrow widths in Europe.

(Yes yes I know about google. But still.)

marlinspike

Reaction score
Good stuff. Thanks. So no niche must-go places?

DC is not a high fashion kind of city. Sure, if you look hard enough you can find a custom suit maker, or a shoe store like Sky Valet (and I guess if you are from Europe the Alden store might be a gem if that is your style), but it is not some great city of fashion or style.

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
Also check out Maketto on H St.

Oops - apologies, this would be definitely be a recommendation for S&D side of the forum; Maketto cafe is still good btw.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do wear lots of denim and such -- Maketto noted.

I went to Billy Reid in New Orleans earlier this year and was a bit underwhelmed.

Thanks, all.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, no, I'm not the "dining experience" type. Maybe I've not been to the right ones, but Michelin-starred places nearly always feel contrived to me. (An exception: Okura here in Amsterdam. Maybe it's because of the Japanese aesthetic.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads