• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Shoe Appreciation Thread

lusso63

Reaction score
sestyle, perhaps your observations on the possibility that the perception of the American consumers attention to detail, quality, etc. is a lesser factor than in other markets is quite accurate! It does seem to have merit in general when one looks at this in an objective way. Not caring for generalizations, it is easy to see how that perception would be without much dispute in other cultures when looking at the US market, not in a condescending manner, but more as a common opinion.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
BeSpiff - yes, I would be happy to post. Been away from home a couple days so I haven't spent much time with the new addition to the family. :) Will post this evening, though.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
SeStyle, I hear you in terms of the rubber soles, the leather quality and the US market... I'll be more meticulous in the future and do my due diligence.

I do have one question for you, however...what would your opinion of my purchase be if I said I spent $130 for the same shoe? I try to avoid being the 'easy mark' when making any purchase, but education comes as much from the experience as it does the research. For my research, I was rewarded with this acquisition at the above mentioned price...$160 with trees.

...Kudos for me now?

Or still a bad buy at $130...?

I knew the rubber sole was frowned upon buy the forums, but I am trying to maintain an upward trajectory on my shoe knowledge and purchases. I believe this qualifies!!! Thanks for feedback, gentlemen.

As an aside: any thoughts on Silvano Sassetti and his US offerings? Will post pics of those as well.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Indyoshi, I assume these are the shoes shown below. At $130, great buy, most of us (at least myself) would have jumped at that. Especially for new, even at used assuming minimal wear it's a great deal. Nicely done.

When you hear comparisons from current US offerings that run in the < $600 line to either what used to be offered or what could be offered for about $100-300 more that's where the negativity starts. If uneducated buyers are willing to pay $550 for Santonis that they think are great, and I think are great relative to other makers, if only they knew or had option to spend $150 more and come out with a much higher quality shoe.

Saxton in Black:

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
SeStyle - so $650 - $900 should be where I expect to find that next level of leather, construction, styling and durability? Labels notwithstanding, I'd love to read (or see) a few examples of what shoe you would consider for a business suit (politics/marketing versus banking or fashion), and a slightly less formal shoe (from slacks to jeans versatility)... I want to acquire 'The Force', as those who have come before me have done; the ability to find the point at which the shoe becomes a muse for great creations! Educate me, as I am eager to learn. I see you too, shoe snobs; no offense taken for your criticisms! :)

sestyle

Reaction score
smile.gif
I am probably not the right person to give you any kind of satisfying answer regarding shoes, as I lack the experience to do so. What I know regarding shoe construction/style is largely due to my own 'feel' of the shoe and my experience with construction of many other items; like furniture, jewelry, watches and so on. I'll give it a try anyway...

Starting from the top. You have your John Lobbs, Edward Greens, St Crispins, Cleverley's, Vass, Gaziano & Girlings, Santonis, Bontoni's and so on. All of these brands have quality, some are modern, some highly finished, and each brand is distinctive in its own way. Each shoemaker has something that sets them apart from the other, and some are lacking where others excel. This is one good reason to mix brands in your rotation, as you will hopefully take the shining examples from each maker, and have a nice and varied collection which suits your tastes (which will inevitably change... part of the fun).

But we can't all afford to go plunking down 1-2k for a pair of shoes, now can we? And if one is setting a 'new-only' policy for themselves, it gets harder. Does the shoe need to crest 650-900? I don't think so, but we were talking about Santoni here, and their shoe quality/price seem to support your conclusion. I see the 'real Santoni' in SOME of the classic line shoes, and your Saxton looks like a nice shoe. IMO the rubber soled versions always 'feel' completely inferior to others in my rotation. They're generally the same quality as Magnanni, To Boot, etc. I've never looked closely at the Saxton, and I don't know how to explain the difference other than general construction & leather quality. At 130 it surely is a bargain, but if you have a pair of Santoni goodyears as well, you will see the differences. I've obtained Santoni Goodyears lightly worn for $100-200, so I don't bother with the current classic line. Allen Edmonds are better quality than the rubber soles at $340. I'm not a huge fan of AE styles, but they are made very well. Sutor has much better shoes in the $300 closeout range, so I'd look there as well. Carmina is also a great bargain, in the $400-500 range for brand new. Their quality SMOKES Santoni rubber soles, and is generally cheaper too. Alden has amazing shoes in the sub $500 range. Vass is a bargain and 5X the quality of the Santoni lower lines, and is barely more expensive at retail prices. All of the high-end brands can be had for $300-600 with patience, so take your time. The Grail shoes everyone gets fussed about will need to be purchased retail or closeout if you're lucky. Part of the fun is waiting...

A lot of my posts in this forum come from my love and hate of Santoni, and their obvious neglect of the US market. Or rather they know the average american doesn't know better, and they have shoes to match the market they know better than I do. Santoni showed me my first glimpse into high shoe quality, and now it's not available here. WTF? Despite the lovely posts of 1300.00 goodyear's available only in NJ/flagship stores, I don't see them in San Francisco at all. And if I were to drop 1300 retail, well, I'd have to see the shoe in person & try on, which is something I can do with nearly any other brand here (except for EG, which for whatever reason is not sold in the Bay Area).

As far as styling goes, it's completely personal. I'm admittedly inexperienced in knowing the sartorial ways, and that's ok for me. I would suggest browsing the forums and you will see shoes that catch your eye. I posted my Santoni's in here a while ago. My rotation has a handful of Santoni, Sutor Mantelassi, Vass, Carmina, EG, and Lobb. Obviously I didn't buy any of the more $$ brands retail (snobs feel free to pound me for this, I really don't care what anyone thinks). I am very happy with my rotation, but I work in a casual industry where no one really cares what I have on feet. If I have time later, I'll I'll post some pics of things I find very appealing in a shoe. Again, this is my opinion. Since I am younger and less experienced myself, I hope some of my ideas resonate with your thinking. Good luck hunting & discovering your style!

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
BeSpiff,

Per your request... These are feeling better, great actually, as I break 'em in a bit. I'm hoping that the issue with the insole/construction hasn't just seemed to go away since I haven't pounded Chicago's downtown streets in them yet. Not as shiny as some of the pics appear, others are more accurate. Super soft, which makes me worry about creasing. Trees will always be in 'em...

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BeSpiff,

Per your request... These are feeling better, great actually, as I break 'em in a bit. I'm hoping that the issue with the insole/construction hasn't just seemed to go away since I haven't pounded Chicago's downtown streets in them yet. Not as shiny as some of the pics appear, others are more accurate. Super soft, which makes me worry about creasing. Trees will always be in 'em.

[ATTACHMENT=6585]DSC00712 (2).JPG (458k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=6579]DSC00710 (2).JPG (812k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=6580]DSC00733 (2).JPG (872k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=6581]2013-06-08 17.07.10-1 (2).jpg (142k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=6582]DSC00722 (2).JPG (663k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=6584]DSC00725.JPG (2,393k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
Fantastic pics sir. Very stylish.

nice1take5

Reaction score
If anyone is interested with Santoni on sale, I am pre-selling for our June Half-Yearly sale right now. Here's the look book:

www.nordshoesparamus.com/wp

Contact me at hafiz.azly(at)nordstrom.com to place your pre sale order, ideally before 6/14 (first day of the sale) so you will get the best options. Shipping is free.

If you are on Instagram, keep up to date by following me @hafiznyc

I can also be reached at the store. Phone number is on the pictures in the look-book. Ask for Hafiz.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If anyone is interested with Santoni on sale, I am pre-selling for our June Half-Yearly sale right now. Here's the look book:

www.nordshoesparamus.com/wp

Contact me at hafiz.azly(at)nordstrom.com to place your pre sale order, ideally before 6/14 (first day of the sale) so you will get the best options. Shipping is free.

If you are on Instagram, keep up to date by following me @hafiznyc

I can also be reached at the store. Phone number is on the pictures in the look-book. Ask for Hafiz.

any santoni limited editions?

nice1take5

Reaction score
ThinkDerm,

No limited editions as we don't stock it on a regular basis, just special orders based on availability.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello, Santonians...

This is my inaugural post. Been trolling for a while though.  Just bought the Saxton in black from Nordstroms; rubber sole, feels good, but something in the insole of the right shoe is protruding - the proverbial 'thorn in the paw.'  My first decent/nice shoe purchase, along with a rubber soled Silvano Sassetti a few weeks ago. I thought I was making a sound purchase, and they haven't touched any earth yet, so they can go back, but does anyone else have this shoe? Does it fall in the nuvola or classic line? Was it a wise (in terms of quality) buy? Feedback appreciated.

Take them and the Silvano Sassetti back. Use the money to buy a better quality pair of shoes.
. You will regret ever buying those shoes. Checkout the DSW website and google for some discount codes. You can still find the better quality Santoni shoes on sale.

http://www.dsw.com/luxe810/collection/men%27s+santoni/dsw12cat1780010/page-1/

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Thanks, Monty; glad to be on SF.

Now, you clearly have been at this longer than I (judging from your # of posts and join date), so do you care to share why I am going to regret my purchases? I can't know it if you don't tell it. I'm trying to take something (anything) helpful from your post...edify me.

DSW is a joke. Brick and mortar, online... even Lux options are ugly. Boring and ugly, actually. No style. It'll be some time before I become my grandfather. Until then, I'd like to be able to incorporate some of my own flair into my shoes. Oh, BTW, I'm a size 12D/E depending on the manufacturer, and DSW only has baby shoes left in any style I could stomach (size 8 and under). DSW is three blocks from my office...it's not far enough away, if you ask me. :-\

So - DSW? Fail... Opinion on Santoni and Sassetti? TBD...Maybe you could offer some insight on awesome rear end pictures of women whom I will never meet, or won't 'drop trou' without payment up front...j/k But, dude - DSW...? Really? Isn't that the shoe equivalent of 'Men's Warehouse'?

BTW, being pompous doesn't make you sound like more of an authority - just pompous. sestyle offered rationale for his opinions, and that's why I am asking (see initial post) - to acquaint myself with the nuances in the different types of shoes/makers/leather/durability/styles (G&G, Grenson, Loake, Lobb, Alden, Gucci, Prada, Herring, SF, Maurizi...) that I do and don't own.

Thanks for the heads up, though. Now I know where to go for my girly shots...and marginal feedback. (I love initiation!)

I've seen people post about the folks who scour the forums with contempt for the 'unrefined' members. I think a thread should be created for them, specifically. What to call it, though...? Suggestions welcomed!!!

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
sestyle, thanks for putting some thought into your reply.

I am eager to learn as much as possible about the shoe game, as it has become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I love beautiful things (I have an artistic background) and shoes are no exception. I am seeing that the prettiest girl/shoe at the dance/store isn't always the one you wanna take home, though. You gave some tangible references for me to think about going forward. eBay and other bid sites are cool, but I need to see and feel the shoes right now. Just want to know the chances of success/uphoria with each variation and maker. If awesome bargains can be had as a bonus, sign me up!

Just as an aside, I walk ALOT each day...to, from and during work. The goodyear flex-welted Sassetti feels like I should be wearing it on the basketball court - crazy flexible, very forgiving during pavement pounding. My knees and back love them. That alone was worth the price. Compliment City when I wear them as well.

'Stand Up Guy' post, sestyle. Hope it's contagious... ;-j

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member