• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

salon vs. barbershop

makushin

Reaction score
I've found that stylists are more in tune with womens hair, or maybe longer style men's haircuts. If you want a proper fade, the barber does much better. I'm not talking military style either, just any short haircut that requires a fade. Women don't seem to know how to fade properly, and they are more concerned with BS like selling you shampoo and looking pretty.

Also, a salon haircut goes $25-30, my barber charges $13 and I give him a $5 tip because he actually does a good job.

I do have one problem with barbers though, and I will be sure to inquire next time I'm in. Last time I went the old dude cut my hair and sort of butchered my neck with that razor. The razor neck business has me concerned with catching Hep-C, as I'm skeptical they follow proper sterilization procedures. That's just the dental student in me though. But next time I go in, I'm not sure I'm getting the neck cut. Although it does seem to make a haircut "last" longer, because the first indication I need a haircut is when those neck hairs start to curl.

Anyways; Barber, no question. Unless you're Emo.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cashmoney
I only go to barbershops.

I tell him my number -- I usually get a one or a one-and-a-half -- and read for the five minutes he needs to do his work. I go the House barbershop in the basement of the Rayburn House office building. He charges $14. I give him a $20 and I'm on my way.

No muss no fuss. And no attitude and no bullshit.

This. Also, the barber I go to read my hair and my head shape better than any salon I've been to. And cheap to boot.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Straight men either shave their heads at home, visit a barbershop, or have fun with their girlfriend(s) and a pair of scissors.

Salons are for women and homosexuals.

aKula

Reaction score
Definitely babershop for me. I like the old chairs, the straight edge razors, the classic men's haircuts, and the cheaper prices.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
I love a good, old fashioned male only barbershop where you spend no more than US$20 for a haircut (and usually even less). It is one of the few things I long for most in China, where all the decent spots charge way too much to give me an incredibly simple haircut in a horrible salon environment.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Barbershop. I'm the third generation of men from my family going to the place I go now, and I get a good haircut on top of that. Style and heritage
bigstar[1].gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Straight men either shave their heads at home, visit a barbershop, or have fun with their girlfriend(s) and a pair of scissors.

But I go to a gay barbershop. By gays, in the Castro, for everybody.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
But I go to a gay barbershop. By gays, in the Castro, for everybody.

wait, is it the one next to Marcellos? I went there when I lived on Market about a block away. That place is cool.

It would be great if I lived in a city where there are good barbers but where I live now there aint any so a salon it is. The trick to get in and out without paying a lot is to go right after you shower then they don't even ask if you want a shampoo, thats where you waste money and time. Just wet it and cut it and Im out in like 15 minutes for about $20.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90

Because having a group of attractive women run their fingers through your hair and rub their breasts in your face as they trim you is so much more homoerotic than going to a traditional barbershop.

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lovellum
Because having a group of attractive women run their fingers through your hair and rub their breasts in your face as they trim you is so much more homoerotic than going to a traditional barbershop.

Hahaha. My stylist makes me cookies, tea and gives me a head massage with oil. I don't always go to her because she charges an arm and a leg but she never ever ever, not once, fucked up. She is the only woman I would ever let touch my hair. (I had a terrible experience with a friend of mine in highschool that was going to cosmo school, I think she was on smack plus she failed to mention it was her first time cutting a males hair before.) If my wallets feeling light I go to the barbershop who does a mediocre job but it gets me through the next couple weeks. Now if I could only talk my stylist into shaving me with a straight...

D.agody

Reaction score
Oh yeah I was in there last weekend and saw that they had opened the salon. Do you know if they are any good?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My barber in NYC, Igor at Clean Cuts on 1st Avenue and 1st Street, rocks. He knows how to cut hair as well as any salon stylist I've been to and it's only 14 bucks, plus a five dollar tip.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm going to have to be a voice of dissent here when I say that I have yet to really enjoy having my hair cut by a barber. It could be that I always like my hair longer to balance out my long ass face, but it seems that my stylist at the salon I go to always has something fresh to do to my hair that turns out great. Like any profession, you want to find someone who is passionate about giving their clients outstanding results and then build a good relationship with them. BTW, go for the man in the salon, gay men give better haircuts. I have no reason why, it's just a fact from all the stylists I've tried.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Getting your hair cut at a barbershop is like buying your whole wardrobe from Banana Republic or at best, J. Crew.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Traditional barbershops remind me too much of assembly lines. They're quick, efficent and cheap but don't handle custom orders well. In my experience, barbershop barbers know three or four haircuts and will give you one of those no matter what you ask for. Assuming you go to a decent barber you won't look bad but you won't necesarialy look they way you wanted.

I don't like salons because they are expensive, stylists don't have as much experience with men's hair and I'm not a fan of the atmoshphere.

I've found a great place that bills itself as a "modern barbershop" that seems to fill the void between the two. It's a barbershop atmosphere. The price is a little more than a barberhop but nowhere near a salon. My barber is more versatile than most and takes directions very well. Appointements are spaced every half hour so there is plenty of time to get it perfect. In the first fifteen minutes the bulk of the work (in my experience, most barbershops would kick you out) leaving plenty of time to make sure everything is perfect before you leave.

Oh and it's not some "strippers with clippers" place that my barber likes to poke fun at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads