• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joona

Reaction score
@mafoofan you might want to wear the jacket for a while before you decide if the sleeves need to be shortened. They might shorten a bit with wear + if you zip up the sleeves a bit, they won't look that long. A lot of SLP looks here tend to have slightly short sleeves IMO. It's not supposed to look like a suit jacket.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****--digging the articulated pants.

I’m very serious and I think that you could find enjoyment in the technical clothing world. If you are really wanting to have fun with clothes, there’s nothing better than comparing membranes and waterproof fabrics/zips, talking about moisture wicking and waterproof zippers, taped seams and packaway hoods, and basically walking around ready to take the elements should they come your way.

And Errolson Hughes is a middle aged asian man, so the representation is there

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mafoofan - the jacket looks about the right size. The idea with Saint Laurent and the Hedi vibe is to make yourself fit into his clothes not the other way around such as bespoke, you're spot on. It's all about the shoulders. They're good. You need to get the sleeves taken up, of course, they're meant to be on the shorter side, but I'd still go a touch conservative since as someone noted above they will crease with wear. The boutiques adjust sleeves all the time. Of course, you might want to do a friendly reminder to take it up from the shoulders not at the bottom so you don't lose the shape.

44 is pretty severe, so unless you're thinking of going very skinny, it might be a challenge. But then again, that'd be hedi skinny.

The cut of the jacket is not changed and the leather looks very good. You have good zippers, but maybe not the chunky zippers that I think were bandied about in the first season or two but did not last long.

It'll look great with slim jeans and basically any shirt, especially lighter shades.

echau

Reaction score
@mafoofan are you dead set on the L01? If so, I'd recommend finding an earlier iteration (SS13 or FW13) that is more cropped in sleeve and body length. The problem with that is the earlier versions will also be tighter in the body.

If you're open to other SLP leathers, the FW14 L17 in mutton lamb is particularly cropped in the sleeves and might work for you without having to do alterations.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
echau brings up good points. I'd mention one other thing, the leather looks great on that particular jacket. Sometimes they are more or less buttery, etc. I'm sure you're a leather connoisseur, so this may be a given.

Diet CCC

Reaction score
Tall, I am not.

The fit is fine, but in a sense that just another dude wearing a biker jacket. Unfortunately you don't have the body type(not height relevant, more about body fat) so you need to either accept how it looks on you or move on to a different jacket.

Sometimes, it is not about wearing something that makes you look perfect, but about wearing something that speaks for values and ideas. That being said it comes down to what you see in the L01 and what you look for when purchasing a garment.

SLP from Hedi is more like a honor badge that says "subculture", it is not about design, not about tailoring, but more so like a beautiful dream from the past, if you believe in it you will have fun with it. Most SLP garment seems to have severe cut is just because that is Hedi's preferred silhouette, one could say he finds beauty in anorexia ... If you are looking for tailor experience, and you don't have a BMI that is lower than 20 or naturally small framed, wrong brand.

Also, that is the chunky zipper you have. So at least you are not getting a AV version for sure, AV basically didn't touch menswear during SS17, he did pump out a limited number of items, with a different fit since he is trying to work out the new direction for menswear. L01 is not one of those things he touched back then.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@mafoofan 2016 production year on the wash tag means it was produced for FW16 (Hedi's last season, black chain) or SS17 (silver chain just like past seasons). I don't think the season matters as long as you enjoy the fit and materials. I will say the earlier years had a juicier lamb, but if you don't have that reference point, then nothing to worry about! Just enjoy the jacket! In the end, it's just clothes.

Thank you, thank you. The hang tag does indicate SS17. I'm calling that a full-on Hedi. Vaccarello didn't have time to **** around with it. Plus zippers got chunk.

@mafoofan you might want to wear the jacket for a while before you decide if the sleeves need to be shortened. They might shorten a bit with wear + if you zip up the sleeves a bit, they won't look that long. A lot of SLP looks here tend to have slightly short sleeves IMO. It's not supposed to look like a suit jacket.

Yeah, makes sense. I like a slightly shorter sleeve length on this jacket. Don't expect it to fit like a suit.

I’m very serious and I think that you could find enjoyment in the technical clothing world . . . And Errolson Hughes is a middle aged asian man, so the representation is there

Was serious too! Looking into it.

And who the **** said I'm middle-aged??????

mafoofan - the jacket looks about the right size. The idea with Saint Laurent and the Hedi vibe is to make yourself fit into his clothes not the other way around such as bespoke, you're spot on. It's all about the shoulders. They're good. You need to get the sleeves taken up, of course, they're meant to be on the shorter side, but I'd still go a touch conservative since as someone noted above they will crease with wear. The boutiques adjust sleeves all the time. Of course, you might want to do a friendly reminder to take it up from the shoulders not at the bottom so you don't lose the shape.

Won't I risk losing more shape taking it up from the shoulder? Right now, the sleeve pitch is dead on. Would not want to **** with that.

44 is pretty severe, so unless you're thinking of going very skinny, it might be a challenge. But then again, that'd be hedi skinny.

The cut of the jacket is not changed and the leather looks very good. You have good zippers, but maybe not the chunky zippers that I think were bandied about in the first season or two but did not last long.

It'll look great with slim jeans and basically any shirt, especially lighter shades.

I could not possibly go to size 44, no matter how much weight I lose. The shoulders would be too narrow.

@mafoofan are you dead set on the L01? If so, I'd recommend finding an earlier iteration (SS13 or FW13) that is more cropped in sleeve and body length. The problem with that is the earlier versions will also be tighter in the body.

If you're open to other SLP leathers, the FW14 L17 in mutton lamb is particularly cropped in the sleeves and might work for you without having to do alterations.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that the sleeves need to be altered. As an ex -MC guy, I don't have any fear of that.

Check out Blackmeans

I am familiar. Some cool stuff, but not so interested in the emphasis on finishing and distressing.

The fit is fine, but in a sense that just another dude wearing a biker jacket. Unfortunately you don't have the body type(not height relevant, more about body fat) so you need to either accept how it looks on you or move on to a different jacket.

Sometimes, it is not about wearing something that makes you look perfect, but about wearing something that speaks for values and ideas. That being said it comes down to what you see in the L01 and what you look for when purchasing a garment.

SLP from Hedi is more like a honor badge that says "subculture", it is not about design, not about tailoring, but more so like a beautiful dream from the past, if you believe in it you will have fun with it. Most SLP garment seems to have severe cut is just because that is Hedi's preferred silhouette, one could say he finds beauty in anorexia ... If you are looking for tailor experience, and you don't have a BMI that is lower than 20 or naturally small framed, wrong brand.

Also, that is the chunky zipper you have. So at least you are not getting a AV version for sure, AV basically didn't touch menswear during SS17, he did pump out a limited number of items, with a different fit since he is trying to work out the new direction for menswear. L01 is not one of those things he touched back then.

Agreed on all fronts. But keep in mind, I'm still 10-15 pounds over my normal weight. Don't judge the fat (temporary). Judge the shoulders (not going anywhere).

ASAPRice

Reaction score
Excuse the extra layer(s) of fat. I am still working on losing some weight, but assume chest and shoulders won't change much.
The shoulders themselves fit fine, but the area between your shoulder and pecs don't fit well- the scrunching just looks off. If you're planning on losing a significant amount of wait, I think it could fit, but as of now I'd say hold out on the purchase.

I've said it elsewhere, but the things that bugs me most about his designs are mostly his fans, who are so anti-second-hand, anti-budget brands, they miss everything that made that look cool in the first place. It's a verisimilitude of the real thing. And regarding its connection to pop culture, that Hedi look died like three years ago.

All the "real" hedi boys definitely aren't anti second hand/budget. And who really cares if the look became over worn 3 years ago, if anything, its started to die out. Although that'll probably change soon, once the Celine collection releases.

ASAPRice

Reaction score
I think it's a foregone conclusion that the sleeves need to be altered. As an ex -MC guy, I don't have any fear of that.
Curious, where do you get your sleeves tailored? I presume a standard tailor doesn't have the equipment to do so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads