• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Adamdraps, the only sensible option is to taper the D01. I've seen many staff members that have done this and got great results from it.

On more muscular types wearing Saint Laurent, I'd personally buy t-shirts and knitwear as they are less rigid and have some give (unlike shirts), and classic tailoring such as cabans, Chesterfields, and blazers, as those are all made in a way that can be easily tailored in the waist.

I remember an SA telling me this about SLP denims:
Just think of D02 as a pair of tailored D01 and D01 as a pair of skinny straight jeans
If the D02 fit doesn't work for you, go for the D01 and tailor them to fit yourself.

So I would say, don't size up on D02, go for D01 in the right size and tailor them
if you can't even put on D01 in your size, then you probably shouldn't be wearing D02 or D01 lol

I wonder how Hedi would dress bodybuilder body types. D01, ranger boots, tshirts and no jackets?

Thank for the responses

I should of added that I'm 5'10 at 135-138 pounds with a 28 inch waist.

Here's the D01 in my true size.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Coming from a guy that weight trains this is my take on the subject. If I bought pants according to my actual waist size I'd have problems with tightness in the legs too. I personally get pants with enough room to fit both my hands in the waist no problem, regardless if they're SLP, skinny, etc. (raw denim is a different story) and I'm good. That's means I'm always looking for a pair that's 18" because that's what I find most comfortable regardless if it's composed of stretch material or not, even though I really have a 16.5" waist. Everyone's idea of how your pants should fit in the waist is a subjective thing because it's all preference maybe you're taking your waist size too literally. What may be tight to you may be average fitting to another person's preference.

So what you're saying is go one size up in the waist?

japejapejape

Reaction score
^ wow. lmao...1st off...yeah because if it's not exactly how it's worn on the runway it doesn't look good.
2nd...you're completely wrong anyways lmaoo

but good job completely talking out your ass

stop trying to give people rules on how they want to look...its so stupid.
there's a whole lot more examples too.

it actually makes no sense that shirts have to be tucked in to wear a biker jacket on...thats like the exact opposite attitude of the biker jacket

Last edited:

dddibakar

Reaction score

^ wow. lmao..

stop trying to give people rules on how they want to look...its so stupid.
there's a whole lot more examples too. 
Woah! You're so amazing. You proved me wrong. I guess you walked the runway a few times yourself since you can pull off the runway looks exactly the way with the shirt untucked. Must be nice to be you. I stand corrected anyway.

ASAPRice

Reaction score
Woah! You're so amazing. You proved me wrong. I guess you walked the runway a few times yourself since you can pull off the runway looks exactly the way with the shirt untucked. Must be nice to be you. I stand corrected anyway.
You seem like a nice fellow

On the topic of untucked shirts and jackets- I think it really only works with the more classic DR's. Slann's jacket is too attention grabbing and I think it would look better with more plain pieces. I only like the first two runway pics posted, everything else looks busy for my tastes

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two looks from fw13 featured the short jacket + untucked shirt style:

- the extra layers and items makes the constrast between the short jacket and longer length shirt less obvious (the lines are more blurred)
- the divide between the different lengths of the items are less striking and all the items just mesh together visually
- the ochre boots also brings some attention away from the top so the red shirt feels less intense

- because there is only the jacket and the shirt, both are very distinctive
- the shorter length of the shirt helps maintain the overall balance
- Hedi also balances the "loud" jacket with "loud" boots so the look is more harmonious (if the model wore black boots then all the attention will go to the jacket and it would feel very visually striking)

After looking through the different runways it seems like untucked shirts were found in fw13 and ss16 only and both seasons were a bit grungy, with the former being more glam and the latter more trashy.

Last edited:

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Tuck it
Un-tuck it
Look in the mirror
Shrug
Just *******

I was dressing myself before Hedi and will continue to do so after. The shows are simply an idealized presentation of the clothes; I would take them as no more than a suggestion than gospel. What I think is more important is do you think when you stand in the mirror, "this looks good".

slann01

Reaction score
the wool oversized shirt and the jacket are great on their own, but together it doesn't work. Believe me, i've tried with that plaid wool shirt, but it's thick enough to be an outerwear / jacket piece on its own. IMO SL Leathers rarely look good with button ups unless they are tucked in or near the hip.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try different styling next time and post results there, as it might be an interesting discussion.

volchok

Reaction score
Regardless of how the looks are style in the runaway, in my opinion it looks really bad when the layer of clothing beneath a jacket is much longer than the jacket itself, regardless of whether it is a t-shirt, a button up or what have you. Slightly longer is ok. Much longer looks really bad.

Again, this is my opinion. If someone likes that look, go for it.

Another problem in Slann's fit (no disrespect meant to Slann) is that the boots look way too chunky and not proportioned. Which is interesting because I've seen people pulling off those boots with no problem and in some other people they look extremely chunky. Not sure what causes this difference.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads