• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Blake ones (known as the Blake 30) were only for SS 14. SS 13 and AW 13 both had no stitching visible, similar to today's London 20s but a slightly sleeker more elongated shape (nicer, but had sizing issues with massive heel slippage). Since AW 14 they have only done the London 20 as far as I'm aware (I have asked). I did see photos of the Blake 30 ones on Selfridges website last season, but I'd guess they were just using old stock photos, unless perhaps they are still in the line list available to order for wholesalers etc.

sosuke

Reaction score

The Blake ones (known as the Blake 30) were only for SS 14. SS 13 and AW 13 both had no stitching visible, similar to today's London 20s but a slightly sleeker more elongated shape (nicer, but had sizing issues with massive heel slippage). Since AW 14 they have only done the London 20 as far as I'm aware (I have asked). I did see photos of the Blake 30 ones on Selfridges website last season, but I'd guess they were just using old stock photos, unless perhaps they are still in the line list available to order for wholesalers etc.

Aw I didn't know the cropped jodhpurs were labeled as Blake before or that they had a 30mm heel. So what were the FW13 ones labeled as? I'm assuming the London 20s are Goodyear welted?

scanner

Reaction score

what is going on with these fits? new season looking super inconsistent.. this is like Diesel meeting Faith Connexions

Not that I don't mind, it actually looks kinda comfy.

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the London 20s, they're just a thin sole with no visible stitching, most likely Blake construction, or maybe just glued. The original SS 13 and AW 13 ones didn't have any name; they were just called cropped jodhpur boots, and I think they were also Blake construction. I've had every style in black leather, and I prefer the Blake 30 out of all of them. All are nice though.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems that the silk t-shirts have also been changed for AW 15. I grabbed another one from the online store, and was disappointed to find that they now have a wide band on the neck line like a regular t-shirt, rather than the more elegant finer band they had before, and also the neckline is now a far smaller, very normal neckline like you'd find on any old t-shirt, rather than the nice loose necklines that they used to have. The rest of it still fits nicely, but with those changes it just doesn't have a lot of style, and looked very normal. I knew the silk t-shirts had remained untouched for a bit too long - should have stocked up while I had the chance.

Also saw a new batch of 3 passant belts from late AW 15 and the loops are now closer together and I don't think they look as nice. I have like two of the old ones for different purposes, but wanted another for a special occasion, but got one off the online store and returned it as they just don't look as nice. It's strange because the AW 15 one I had from LVR was fine like the old ones, but the one from the online store that arrived several months later, but still AW 15, had the changes. I'd presume it's probably based on feedback again as the old one does get close to the belt loop on the jeans, but just looked better.

The constant changes are really starting to piss me off. I'm sure that to new customers they won't mind as they're still reasonably nice, just not as nice as the original designs were.

My suspicion on fit is that before the fit models were tall rakes, but now they seem to be cutting for a more petite customer. Like the sudden change to the necklines last season. I went from a medium fitting me relaxed, to hardly going over my head and I wouldn't say I have a particularly big head, and shoulder seams moved way up my shoulders instead of being at the edge where they should be.

And of course I don't even need to mention the wide ankles on boots. I did see some photos a member here shared with me and it looks like there's a possibility of a return to the narrower ankles (fingers crossed).

More and more I'm feeling like you have to buy things the first time around before the idiots give their feedback and they start ******* around with the shapes.

slann01

Reaction score
Thanks for this! I've been debating between this and the black/white moto, you helped sway me towards this one. Just ordered, anxious to give me L01 a break.

I have that jacket as well - leather is nice and as @slann01 said it looks great if you keep it simple. Studs are very cool on the lapels and the 'wing' design is unique.

Nice review!

Thanks for the appreciation guys!

Unfortunately it seems that the silk t-shirts have also been changed for AW 15. I grabbed another one from the online store, and was disappointed to find that they now have a wide band on the neck line like a regular t-shirt, rather than the more elegant finer band they had before, and also the neckline is now a far smaller, very normal neckline like you'd find on any old t-shirt, rather than the nice loose necklines that they used to have. The rest of it still fits nicely, but with those changes it just doesn't have a lot of style, and looked very normal. I knew the silk t-shirts had remained untouched for a bit too long - should have stocked up while I had the chance.

Also saw a new batch of 3 passant belts from late AW 15 and the loops are now closer together and I don't think they look as nice. I have like two of the old ones for different purposes, but wanted another for a special occasion, but got one off the online store and returned it as they just don't look as nice. It's strange because the AW 15 one I had from LVR was fine like the old ones, but the one from the online store that arrived several months later, but still AW 15, had the changes. I'd presume it's probably based on feedback again as the old one does get close to the belt loop on the jeans, but just looked better.

The constant changes are really starting to piss me off. I'm sure that to new customers they won't mind as they're still reasonably nice, just not as nice as the original designs were.

My suspicion on fit is that before the fit models were tall rakes, but now they seem to be cutting for a more petite customer. Like the sudden change to the necklines last season. I went from a medium fitting me relaxed, to hardly going over my head and I wouldn't say I have a particularly big head, and shoulder seams moved way up my shoulders instead of being at the edge where they should be.

And of course I don't even need to mention the wide ankles on boots. I did see some photos a member here shared with me and it looks like there's a possibility of a return to the narrower ankles (fingers crossed).

More and more I'm feeling like you have to buy things the first time around before the idiots give their feedback and they start ******* around with the shapes.

You are right man - constant changes is something I really wouldn't expect from a high fashion house, especially since they are always changing into the worst direction. Boots shaft is the best example.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah and it's not like the items weren't selling as they were. I very much doubt sales have gone up as a result of any of the many changes.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah and it's not like the items weren't selling as they were. I very much doubt sales have gone up as a result of any of the many changes.

The price hikes as well. Seems like quality and fit are getting worse but the price continued to go up

paulyy

Reaction score
Hi longtime lurker here. I recently got a pair of slp biker jeans in 29. However I'm a bit disappointed in the way they fit at the ankles, they fit very wide and sloppy over my wyatts and johdpurs even though it's my true size.
Don't know if I should get these tailored since they are so expensive. Does anyone here have any experience altering these?

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jbidwal I can't really fault the quality on these items, just the changes to the fit and design, as is the case with the Wyatt boots and the shaft. I know I have a very high standard, but when you've experienced the old stuff you just don't want the new in some cases. It's annoying because there's so many items I want to buy, and I have the money set aside that I want to spend, but there's either no availability in some cases, or they've been altered in a bad way in others.

sosuke

Reaction score

I don't know about the London 20s, they're just a thin sole with no visible stitching, most likely Blake construction, or maybe just glued. The original SS 13 and AW 13 ones didn't have any name; they were just called cropped jodhpur boots, and I think they were also Blake construction. I've had every style in black leather, and I prefer the Blake 30 out of all of them. All are nice though.

You really know your SLP. Thanks a lot.

splitsides

Reaction score

Even on the London 20s from FW15 I had to size down due to heel slippage. The Blake 30 I had previously in my true size were unwearable.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luckily, I've been fine with both the Blake 30 and the London 20 versions and have been able to take my true size (45) in both, and I have rather skinny narrow feet. There is some slight slippage but not a problem, and it reduces once the sole breaks in. The original SS 13 and AW 13 versions however were ridiculous; I had to go all the way down to a 43.5 for them to be wearable because they were so loose in the mid foot. They were pretty beautiful though with the elongated shape, especially in the very soft leather used on the SS 13 ones. The cropped jodhpur is one of my favourite ever shoes - the way they look with a really skinny black jean cropped just above it is amazing, and I've had more compliments on them than on any other shoe. I hope that they do them on the Hedi 30 last at some stage as I think the thick sole and chunkier shape would work great on them for a bit of a change.

Speaking of the cropped boots, I also think the cropped Chelsea looks very promising. No black though unfortunately from what I hear. Hopefully next time around.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jbidwal I can't really fault the quality on these items, just the changes to the fit and design, as is the case with the Wyatt boots and the shaft. I know I have a very high standard, but when you've experienced the old stuff you just don't want the new in some cases. It's annoying because there's so many items I want to buy, and I have the money set aside that I want to spend, but there's either no availability in some cases, or they've been altered in a bad way in others.

I think most of the new denim is lazy. The rips lack detail and attention to detail like the older pairs and what they show in sample pics. Take the raw hems for this season. They don't like anything like the sample pics. Same for boots. Adding seams to make production easier or cheaper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads