• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Laurent during the 70's

Gucci Uomo

Reaction score
I've noticed there are a lot of loyal YSL admirers here. Which is a good thing. I have a few questions about the house during this era. When did the whole licensing "scheme" began? Why did they put labels of retailers on the suits? How much did those suits cost back then? What was the most popular shape and cut (including lapels) of YSL suits during mid seventies, somewhere around 76? Post some links or pictures if you have any. Thanx.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This book will answer all your questions.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
YSL was a genius but like so many genius ,his vision has descended into an image nightmare...

Pierre Cardin ,Paco Rabanne ,Givenchy and so many others have been down the same path from fashion icons to cheap shopping malls...

Tragic...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I think most of the bad licensing was started in the late 80s to early 00s.

Many stores and designers still co-brand their merchandise.

What does it matter what the suit cost then? A time machine you have not.

I'd say the most popular shape would be similar to his own style back then. Slightly flared pants, peakish lapels.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I think most of the bad licensing was started in the late 80s to early 00s.
Much, much earlier.

The label YSL (three interlinct letters) was sold in the early 70s to Biderman, I believe. Only the 'Rive Gauche' label was still controlled by the House. It was only in the late 90s or early 2000s that the label YSL reverted back to the house.

There was a trend in the whole fashion world from the late 60s to late 80s to licence as much es you could (Halston sold everything). It was only from the mid-90s onwards that fashion houses bought their licences deals and took control in-house again.

Unless you are Henry Poole, then you embark on a shabby deal (which will end in tears) right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads