• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Jacket Saga

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere!
Learn to read post dates, according to his date and the text in his post he would have done the trip a year and a half ago.

Good point

MrAmbrose

Reaction score
The neighborhood has really gone downhill, you know.

5koqcz.jpg

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Lee, in what wilderness is your safari?

smurf-village.jpg

- B

Rankiz

Reaction score
What do you think of this Safari jacket as a casual summer jacket?

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Reaction score

I think the filson jackets are awful.

The fabric is so so and the needle work is just bad. Huge stitches, loose threads everywhere.

I have seen some jackets that Leonard Logsdail has made. those were quite nice!

Does anyone else share this opinion of the Filson jacket? I am interested in buying one, but I've seen photos on eBay which kind of confirm the comment about so-so fabric and the clumsy stiching (it's not possible for me to view one in person before buying).

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Below are official measurements for Filson's bush jacket (style #10051) which the company's customer service department provided in an email. These jackets definitely fit big.

SIZE S M L

CHEST 49 52 55
SWEEP 48 51 54
NECK 17½ 18 18½
BACK 32¼ 33 33¾
ARMHOLE 24¾ 25½ 26¼
SLEEVE 35 35½ 36
CUFF 10 10½ 11

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
I recently picked up two older safari jackets via eBay: one older Banana Republic (with number sizing) and a Tilley (long discontinued). The BR jacket is particularly nice and old ones in good shape show up on eBay quite regularly - strongly recommended.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Filson customer service told me today via email that their bush jacket (#10051) has been discontinued, at least temporarily, although they didn't seem 100% certain. They did say they have a few sitting around so interested persons should call them and they might have your size.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are many safari jackets in sort of a blazer cut and very blazer like style, which mostly run much shorter than a blazer (don't cover your rear)
I guess blazer length principle doesn't apply here?

chippneckwear

Reaction score
I like Beretta's.

Bloody shame what happened to Willis & Geiger though
musicboohoo[1].gif
Willis & Geiger made the Poplin Safari Jackets for Abercrombie and Fitch. They have been gone for years.( I don't know if someone is using their name the way so many great names from the past are used today by "imposters" ) We have made Safari Jackets - with bellows pockets( suede in the bellows and the top collar). We have made them out Shetland, silk, cashmere, and corduroy. I have a Shetland Safari jacket in my office.

Paul Winston
Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com
212 687-0850

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads