• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Without any ado at all, here's the topcoat, discussed here a few times over the last few months.

topcoat-gravel-grey-covert-cloth-worn-1.jpg

This is the covert cloth version. Works well, I think: a very suitable weight for a coat such as this.

topcoat-gravel-grey-covert-cloth-2.jpg
topcoat-gravel-grey-covert-cloth-3.jpg
topcoat-gravel-grey-covert-cloth-6.jpg
topcoat-gravel-grey-covert-cloth-10.jpg

The topcoat this year differs from that of last year in that it has stolen the peacoat's postbox pockets (try saying that backwards). The collar has been altered a little, too, to make it more shapely. The body is more shapely, too, and the vent runs higher. It has the same combination of in-set sleeve and raglan, mind, and most other aspects of it are unchanged.

Paul

paddymac

Reaction score
Without any ado at all, here's the topcoat, discussed here a few times over the last few months.

View attachment 852301

This is the covert cloth version. Works well, I think: a very suitable weight for a coat such as this.

View attachment 852305 View attachment 852304 View attachment 852303 View attachment 852302

The topcoat this year differs from that of last year in that it has stolen the peacoat's postbox pockets (try saying that backwards). The collar has been altered a little, too, to make it more shapely. The body is more shapely, too, and the vent runs higher. It has the same combination of in-set sleeve and raglan, mind, and most other aspects of it are unchanged.

Paul

hi paul,

what colour is this exactly in person/in daylight? web says gravel grey with grey and black yarn?

Is this like say charcoal? but definitely not black right?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
hi paul,

what colour is this exactly in person/in daylight? web says gravel grey with grey and black yarn?

Is this like say charcoal? but definitely not black right?

It's a very dark grey — like charcoal, yes. Not the darkest we have ever used, but nor far off.

In fact, the shirt the chap above is wearing is a really, really, really dark grey, and you can see that the topcoat is good deal lighter.

Up close it appears a marble of black and grey yarn (and the reverse-side of the cloth is almost completely black; quite a few shades darker than the face).

(All the above photographs are taken in daylight, by the way.)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Flown rather under the radar, the new polo shirt (before I broadcast it here).

polo-shirt-putty-geelong-lambswool-tuck-worn-1.jpg

polo-shirt-blue-cashmere-cotton-worn-1.jpg

It is a geelong tuck-stitch -- in the same vein as our usual fare at this time of year. Hand-framed, hand-linked, fully-fashioned, and all the rest of it. If there was ever a game of luxury-grade knitwear bingo, this would win it.

Fairly large of collar, to withstand a jacket collar, and ergo it may affect a look similar to that of a shirt, but an infinite number of times cosier.

polo-shirt-putty-geelong-lambswool-tuck-2.jpg

polo-shirt-putty-geelong-lambswool-tuck-5.jpg

polo-shirt-putty-geelong-lambswool-tuck-7.jpg

polo-shirt-putty-geelong-lambswool-tuck-4.jpg

There is a cashmere-cotton version in the offing, too (the blue one, above) but cashmere-cotton goats are apparently in short supply, and the yarn delivery is running behind. The geelong is so soft it isn't a million miles away from cashmere-soft anyway (though with a heavier handle and less inherent slinkiness). It is a mix of putty and grey yarn (the former seems the dominant colour in the final analysis) and four-ply.

Paul

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An SB3 in the wild, worn exactly as we would hope!

Terrific to see.

I very seldom see our garments worn on people other than myself, as a consequence I suppose of contributing 0.00000001% of the aggregate world wardrobe. When I do it is only in Japan, and usually when I am making a scheduled visit to our of our stockists over there, when -- I expect out of matchless politeness -- they don the full garb.

The SB3 was the first "tailored" jacket we developed, and is the one of middling length. The SB1 is shorter and more boxy; the (upcoming) SB2 is longer and less. I wear one most days myself, with our trousers, all of which have quite a high waist when worn properly.

Paul

Fall has returned and so has my SB3.

20171011Full.jpg

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
... and speaking of the SB3 jacket -- we've just completed its younger brother, which is the very much revised SB2.

It has one button fewer than the SB3 (but one more than the SB1, fact fans) — with a lower break, a body that's longer by about two inches, and reconfigured pockets (pipe pockets with flaps and stitched-through pocket bags). It also has twin vents.

sb2-jacket-grey-hairline-worsted-1@2x.jpg

sb2-jacket-slate-blue-hairline-worsted-2.jpg

sb2-jacket-grey-hairline-worsted-6.jpg

sb2-jacket-grey-hairline-worsted-5.jpg

sb2-jacket-slate-blue-hairline-worsted-9.jpg

Other than that, it is much the same relaxed, quasi-tailored jacket.

We've made some here in a two-ply hairline worsted twill from Somerset. The slate blue is quite fetching. We're working on a handful in a successor to last year's gun-club check from County Donegal, too, though their completion is contingent to rather large extent on the cloth being delivered.

02///M3

Reaction score
Loving the reversible over shirt you put on the site recently! Given it uses melton wool, would you say it's fairly warm? Also, would you mind advising on size? I'm 6'2", 175lbs with a 40ish chest. Trying to decide between medium and large. Would want to wear alone and over a sweater sometimes if possible. Thanks!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Loving the reversible over shirt you put on the site recently! Given it uses melton wool, would you say it's fairly warm? Also, would you mind advising on size? I'm 6'2", 175lbs with a 40ish chest. Trying to decide between medium and large. Would want to wear alone and over a sweater sometimes if possible. Thanks!

Thank you.

Crikey, yes -- this is plenty, plenty warm. It is a dense thing indeed.

Size L would be my recommendation for sure. I'm a size 38 through and through, but prefer the size M. The size S is fine, but fits like a fairly fitted shirt rather than a relaxed overshirt. It's simply a consequence of the aforementioned thickness.

Hope that helps.

Paul

02///M3

Reaction score
It definitely helps, thank you! The only problem is I just went to order and it looks like you already sold out of the large in navy. Any plans to restock for this season?

Thank you.

Crikey, yes -- this is plenty, plenty warm. It is a dense thing indeed.

Size L would be my recommendation for sure. I'm a size 38 through and through, but prefer the size M. The size S is fine, but fits like a fairly fitted shirt rather than a relaxed overshirt. It's simply a consequence of the aforementioned thickness.

Hope that helps.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It definitely helps, thank you! The only problem is I just went to order and it looks like you already sold out of the large in navy. Any plans to restock for this season?

Afraid not, no. We seldom if ever make the same thing twice.

I think the only exception are the desert cotton shirts, which we try (a lot of the time unsuccessfully) always to keep in stock.

We are a very small operation, so make few things, compared to most companies, I expect.

Still — you can see what we do have in stock in size L at http://sehkelly.com/large, which is always up to date, to the minute.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
... and while I wish I could announce a forthcoming re-stock of the reversibles (I cannot) here they are, before they go extinct.

reversible-overshirt-rust-cord-melton-4.jpg

reversible-overshirt-rust-cord-melton-11.jpg

reversible-overshirt-rust-cord-melton-3.jpg

reversible-overshirt-rust-cord-melton-16.jpg

And then the blue ...

reversible-overshirt-navy-blue-cord-melton-1@2x.jpg

reversible-overshirt-navy-blue-cord-melton-10.jpg

reversible-overshirt-navy-blue-cord-melton-7.jpg

reversible-overshirt-navy-blue-cord-melton-15.jpg

Having underestimated the appetite for things reversible these past few days, we're thinking about inserting it belatedly into our plans for early next year. Cloth options, though -- very much TBC ...

Paul

02///M3

Reaction score
Ah bummer, ok I may just need to talk myself into the medium in that case.

Thanks again for being so responsive.

gnu

Reaction score
Just a word on the pop-over shirt. May be the most functional travel shirt I've ever had. Made the burden and chaos of the airport an ease. I hope more are made, preferably in the future as a lightweight tweed...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads