• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just discovered this brilliant Balmacaan coat. I'm 40 chest but shoulders and the rest of me conform more to that of a 38. Medium would be my safe choice but they're sold out :(
Anybody have a medium they'd part with (tobacco would be amazing.) Or, could I be convinced a small would work?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear it well, Patrick.

I can't fathom how you can be a size XL. They say the camera adds ten pounds, but in your case, it must be the opposite.

Thanks, Paul.

I’m definitely an honest XL, but it’s entirely independent of my weight, I just have extra wide shoulders and extra long arms. I’m thankful you stretch your patterns to fit me!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just discovered this brilliant Balmacaan coat. I'm 40 chest but shoulders and the rest of me conform more to that of a 38. Medium would be my safe choice but they're sold out :(
Anybody have a medium they'd part with (tobacco would be amazing.) Or, could I be convinced a small would work?

It runs very "true to size", the balmacaan. Normally I'd advise against deviating from your usual size -- but since you're 38 down below but 40 up top, and the balmacaan has a fairly roomy one-piece raglan sleeve, I wouldn't be against trying the size S. If it was a more tailored style, it would not be a good idea, but with the balmacaan (and trench and car coat) you might be okay.

We do have a few other winter-conquering coats in your size, too. They're all at http://sehkelly.com/medium.

Oh -- and the balmacaan might very well come back in the new year, in a weatherproof cotton. Different prospect to the tweed iteration, I know -- but let me know, please, if you might be interested.

We also have some new car coats, now that I think about it -- just finished, in a stupendously thick Ventile Canvas, and with a nifty little detachable woollen warmer. Sort of does the same thing as the tweed balmacaan, rain and cold-wise, just in a different way. And the car coat is the closest thing we do, style-wise, to the balmacaan: they're quite similar, the way they're designed.

Paul

Last edited:

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It runs very "true to size", the balmacaan. Normally I'd advise against deviating from your usual size -- but since you're 38 down below but 40 up top, and the balmacaan has a fairly roomy one-piece raglan sleeve, I wouldn't be against trying the size S. If it was a more tailored style, it would not be a good idea, but with the balmacaan (and trench and car coat) you might be okay.

We do have a few other winter-conquering coats in your size, too. They're all at http://sehkelly.com/medium.

Oh -- and the balmacaan might very well come back in the new year, in a weatherproof cotton. Different prospect to the tweed iteration, I know -- but let me know, please, if you might be interested.

We also have some new car coats, now that I think about it -- just finished, in a stupendously thick Ventile Canvas, and with a nifty little detachable woollen warmer. Sort of does the same thing as the tweed balmacaan, rain and cold-wise, just in a different way. And the car coat is the closest thing we do, style-wise, to the balmacaan: they're quite similar, the way they're designed.

Paul

Thanks for the thoroughly helpful response.

I do in fact like the car coat and giving it consideration. However, I already have a Ventile trench so the car coat would be a bit of an indulgence. I'm trying to pare down my coat closet as it is.

I'm very interested in a weatherproof cotton Balmacaan, I'd love to hear more!

My favorite coat ever was a thrift-store find Balmacaan in navy-black gun club check. I wore it well past it's expiration...been looking for a replacement for some time.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoroughly helpful response.

I do in fact like the car coat and giving it consideration. However, I already have a Ventile trench so the car coat would be a bit of an indulgence. I'm trying to pare down my coat closet as it is.

I'm very interested in a weatherproof cotton Balmacaan, I'd love to hear more!

My favorite coat ever was a thrift-store find Balmacaan in navy-black gun club check. I wore it well past it's expiration...been looking for a replacement for some time.

I've made a note to get in touch when the weatherproof / showerproof / just-don't-call-it-waterproof balmacaan is closer to completion. We have been looking at some nice alternatives to Ventile, and hope to kick things into production in a few weeks.

There are certainly some lovely old balmacaans out there in the wild — thick seams, as heavy as anything, and time-proof tweed.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've made a note to get in touch when the weatherproof / showerproof / just-don't-call-it-waterproof balmacaan is closer to completion. We have been looking at some nice alternatives to Ventile, and hope to kick things into production in a few weeks.

There are certainly some lovely old balmacaans out there in the wild — thick seams, as heavy as anything, and time-proof tweed.

Excellent, looking forward to it. I love Ventile but am inundated with a trench, parka and hooded rain jacket all in that great fabric.

I'm going to scour the vintage/thrift shops in the meanwhile and see what's out there in terms of an old Harris Tweed Balmacaan.

Cheers!

Landau

Reaction score

Any chance of getting a Balmacaan in the Navy Tweed anytime soon? That is my all-time favorite tweed, and I'd have to buy one instantly if they ever came out.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, can we expect a trench, duffle, or other kind of longer coat in the near future?

We have just finished a fresh batch of the duffle coat in navy and camel: the smaller sizes are now all back in stock.

(The duffle coat is one style which, up until now, and aside from a brief foray into Inner Hebridean blanketing, we have been reluctant to make in other materials. The heavy overcoating, and the two classic colours, seem such a good fit for it.)

And the trench, too -- we now have one or two more of the Ventile ones back in stock at https://www.sehkelly.com/trench-coat/.

We've also made a few trenches in melton wool. There's a slate blue one, and a khaki one. Both of them are replicas of military cloths from way back when, woven by the mill that wove them at the time, to the same specification, etc. Here's the former, mdelled by a simple but well-meaning local man.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-21-at-14.03.21.jpg

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any chance of getting a Balmacaan in the Navy Tweed anytime soon? That is my all-time favorite tweed, and I'd have to buy one instantly if they ever came out.

Afraid not, no.

Splendid cloth, but we haven't plans to revisit tweed again for a fair old while.

We do mean to visit Donegal again, next year sometime ... but until then, the balmacaan and topcoat are Sole Standard Bearers of the Tweed here at the workshop.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The new car coat, here, in heavy Ventile Canvas.

car-coat-ventile-canvas-copper-1.jpg
car-coat-ventile-canvas-copper-2.jpg

The last Ventile we will use, this, since the company / brand / entity that it is Ventile has cut all ties with this sceptred isle.

There's a midnight version, too.

Both of them have button-out woollen warmers, for when it is cold, which apparently it will be, at some point, over here at least.

Online before the week is out, both colours, weather permitting ...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We're accused sometimes of being negligent somewhat of trousers. And it's a fair cop. I get absorbed into jacket and coat development for months on end, sometimes -- one style leading or spilling over on to the next. But since the summer at least, we have given trousers plenty of thought, and while fruits of most of that thinking will come about next year, we've finally got around to making some new leg-wear for winter.

There are the standard trouser -- same as usual, i.e. moderate and straight of leg, high of rise -- but with a slightly modified front waistband.

standard-trouser-grey-merino-wool-twill-1@2x.jpg
standard-trouser-dark-navy-merino-wool-twill-3.jpg

standard-trouser-grey-merino-wool-twill-9.jpg
standard-trouser-dark-navy-merino-wool-twill-4.jpg

This is a merino-wool twill, the same as used most recently for the SB3 jacket, ergo you have the makings of a suit (not that we use that term ourselves).

proper-trouser-peat-khaki-melton-1@2x.jpg
proper-trouser-slate-blue-melton-6.jpg
proper-trouser-peat-khaki-melton-5.jpg
proper-trouser-slate-blue-melton-10.jpg

And then there are these. These whoppers. It is a heavy military melton overcoating (military as in, the two cloths were first devised by the mill responsible over a century ago, for the British Army and the Royal Flying Corps, and have been revived to the same standard and specification this year). Very thick.

Paul

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads