• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mebro2

Reaction score
Will do!

In fact, the merino-cotton is used for a few shirts with granddad collars at https://sehkelly.com/shirts. It's not as exciting visually as the sanderling cloth, but it is no less pleasurable to wear — albeit slightly thicker and slightly woollier, so geared a little more towards winter. But still a joy to wear many, many months of the year.
Indeed, I have these too and enjoy the subtle visual texture that the wool adds. Feels like a powerhouse of a cloth too, enjoyable for many falls through springs (in my neck of the woods at least) to come.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Paul will there be any changes to the Ulster coat aside from fabric?

Yessir -- it now has turn-back cuffs akin to the peacoat, but which go all the way around the sleeve. Full-cuffs, in other words, rather the than half-cuffs of the peacoat.

The belt at the back is also quite a lot chunkier.

That's it!

Csus2

Reaction score
Turn back cuffs make sense for an ulster, but, between that and the sleeve construction, how complex would it be to get the sleeves shortened?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Turn back cuffs make sense for an ulster, but, between that and the sleeve construction, how complex would it be to get the sleeves shortened?

It's not so bad.

The complexity is low if you have made a coat or jacket before: it is a case of removing the cuff, cutting the sleeve, and reattaching the cuff.

For an experienced tailor or seamstress of dressmaker, it should be a walk in the park.

It might flummox a none-of-the-above, however, so it might restrict the places you can take the coat for alteration.

Last edited:

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SEH x2 today.
4 horseman + hopsack = texture galore.
Had to snap a crap quickie.
seh.jpg

seh1.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quick question I have. How easy it is to shorten sleeves for the British Warm? I can see that it is half raglan and has working cuff.

Tricky. The tailor would have to either navigate the buttonholes or resculpt the shoulder, neither of which are really ... well, possible, to be honest. Dark arts with the buttonholes would be the best if not only option to achieve a satisfactory result.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Tricky. The tailor would have to either navigate the buttonholes or resculpt the shoulder, neither of which are really ... well, possible, to be honest. Dark arts with the buttonholes would be the best if not only option to achieve a satisfactory result.
curse my t-rex arms :(

Csus2

Reaction score
Is the situation just as dire (if not more so due to the studs) with the duffle coat? How close do you think one can get away with shortening the sleeve before it gets too close to the tab and the whole thing looks off? I spent two seasons with the cuff of my herdwick duffle turned over once but I was hoping to finally get it shortened before this winter comes around

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is the situation just as dire (if not more so due to the studs) with the duffle coat? How close do you think one can get away with shortening the sleeve before it gets too close to the tab and the whole thing looks off? I spent two seasons with the cuff of my herdwick duffle turned over once but I was hoping to finally get it shortened before this winter comes around

It is a matter of taste but I'd say 2cm is maximum, but show it to a tailor and see what they say. If you need to move the studs, you might leave behind a hole, but the Herdwick is such a chaotic cloth visually that it might be possible to darn it over and disguise it.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowkowz