• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
The cloth for the duffle this year is not as heavy as previous. It's actually the same cloth we use for the peacoat and greatcoat, unlike the usual blanket-like duffle cloth we've used in years gone by. It's thus a little bit more practical; more wearable for not only the coldest weeks of the year.

When you referring to "previous" are you talking about last year's Herdwick tweed? Or prior iterations of the Duffle?

PrinceRupert

Reaction score
Hi Paul.

I've just found your brand, and really like what you do. I've ordered a shirt, and am eyeing up a trench in sand. I wanted to check on fit: I tend to wear a 42R jacket and when measured have a 42" chest, though I do sometimes find 42R jackets can be a little narrow across the shoulders/back and have a broader waist/hips than the traditional 6" smaller - just measured 39" waist and 41" hips, and I am approx 5' 11.5" If you assume I'll be wearing the trench over a suit or knitted jumper during the winter, should I size up to XL?

My office is a very short walk from your workshop, but it sounds like there is rarely anyone around for coming in to try things on? If I ordered online but decided I wanted a different size, is there a way to return the item to the workshop?

cheers

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've just found your brand, and really like what you do. I've ordered a shirt, and am eyeing up a trench in sand. I wanted to check on fit: I tend to wear a 42R jacket and when measured have a 42" chest, though I do sometimes find 42R jackets can be a little narrow across the shoulders/back and have a broader waist/hips than the traditional 6" smaller - just measured 39" waist and 41" hips, and I am approx 5' 11.5" If you assume I'll be wearing the trench over a suit or knitted jumper during the winter, should I size up to XL?

My office is a very short walk from your workshop, but it sounds like there is rarely anyone around for coming in to try things on? If I ordered online but decided I wanted a different size, is there a way to return the item to the workshop?

Thank you for discovering my company and showing interest in what we do!

The trench coat is sized as an overcoat, to fit comfortably over, say, a business suit, or a shirt and mid-weight sweater. Thus your true size, and surely the best place to start, is size L, given that you have a chest of 42 and that corresponds perfectly with our L.

However, if you prefer a looser look, or just feel more at home with a more relaxed fit, then size XL will work well, too. The trench has a one-piece raglan sleeve which drapes smoothly over the lines of the wearer no matter the shape and size of their, um, lines (I mean shoulder) and because it has a belt, can be pulled together such that the size label is more moot than with most other styles of coat.

I also happen to think trenches and similar raglan coats are more than a-okay when sized up, so you'd be on safe ground in terms of how the size XL would look. It really just depends on your most frequent or likely layering requirements, and / or your personal style and comfort preference.

As for trying things on, alas, the workshop has fallen into disuse, at least from a "welcoming customers" standpoint, and isn't open to the public. It will be, one day, I hope, but it isn't on the cards any time soon: I need to put a plan together, and since I spend all day every day with my head in coats, so to speak, I haven't had the time or headspace to have a good run at it.

Thanks again for choosing our brand: I'll have the shirt en route in the next few hours.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
When you referring to "previous" are you talking about last year's Herdwick tweed? Or prior iterations of the Duffle?

Both — the Herdwick was a similar thickness, though not as heavy, as what we've used in the past for the duffle coat, which was a very thick, heavy worsted-spun twill (and on one occasion, a hopsack).

PrinceRupert

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. You in fact posted the shirt last week (think I ordered it on Thursday) - it was meant to arrive via DHL Express yesterday, but at 1802 (no doubt just after the driver's shift finished) I got an email saying "sorry, we missed you" despite them not trying to deliver (was in, have cameras). When I spoke to them, they said this is the only option available to the driver if they failed to finish their delivery round, but my suspicion is it is to avoid it being their fault on their statistics etc (given you as the shipper pays for a next-day delivery option that they fail to meet). Just FYI, doesn't bother me THAT much (except I was at home yesterday and not home today...) - not sure if you ship enough to care to complain to them but I do feel if you pay for a premium, quick service you should get it!

PrinceRupert

Reaction score
Sorry, one more question on the trench. How soft/flowy is the material? I like the look of a trench that cinches through the waist (a la classic Burberry) and in the pics on the website the material looks quite firm/stiff.

Thanks!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. You in fact posted the shirt last week (think I ordered it on Thursday) - it was meant to arrive via DHL Express yesterday, but at 1802 (no doubt just after the driver's shift finished) I got an email saying "sorry, we missed you" despite them not trying to deliver (was in, have cameras). When I spoke to them, they said this is the only option available to the driver if they failed to finish their delivery round, but my suspicion is it is to avoid it being their fault on their statistics etc (given you as the shipper pays for a next-day delivery option that they fail to meet). Just FYI, doesn't bother me THAT much (except I was at home yesterday and not home today...) - not sure if you ship enough to care to complain to them but I do feel if you pay for a premium, quick service you should get it!

Thanks very much for sharing that experience. I'm sorry to hear about the delivery issue.

Ordinarily, DHL are outstanding, and deliver to most places in the world within 1-2 working days, fully tracked and without a hitch. I have very few problems with them: barely one in a thousand, I should think, so you must have been very unlucky.

But I completely understand your frustration, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'll pass along your words to our contact at DHL to ensure they are aware of what happened. While I don't have direct control over what happens when the parcel is picked up, I do want to ensure every customer receives a high level of service and feels confident in their experience.

I also wanted to clarify that the shipping part of your order was (and always has been, for everyone) completely free of charge, so you are not paying for a premium service in this regard. But you are correct that the service we use with DHL is the most fast and the best tracked of all the international shipping companies to the best of my knowledge.

If you have any further questions or need assistance with anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know — here or via email. And I will let you know if or when DHL provide a substantive reply.

Thank you for your continued support, and I hope to serve you better in the future.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, one more question on the trench. How soft/flowy is the material? I like the look of a trench that cinches through the waist (a la classic Burberry) and in the pics on the website the material looks quite firm/stiff.

Thanks!

It is firm and rigid when new, but softens up a lot over time, once the fibres loosen up.

It has to be "broken in" though, so is not akin to a traditional trench coat cotton gabardine or twill.

PrinceRupert

Reaction score
Thanks!

And to be clear, the delivery point isn't a complaint to you - appreciate you pay the delivery charge and it is free to me, so was more if you wanted to complain to DHL that you were not getting what you paid for!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks right back at you.

I appreciate your understanding and agree with you regarding the delivery.

It's important to me that you receive a great service. If you ever do experience any issues with delivery in future, please don't hesitate to let me know. Your satisfaction is my priority, truly.

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
Gents, imho the discussion the DHL delivery issue could have better been a matter for private messaging. Just saying.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gents, imho the discussion the DHL delivery issue could have better been a matter for private messaging. Just saying.

Understood.

I apologise for posting messages here when they probably should have been in a private chat. I'll be more mindful of that in the future.

PrinceRupert

Reaction score
The shirt arrived yesterday, thank you. I really like it, and am wearing it today with an unstructured navy corduroy suit, which I think it works well with. The calico material is lovely.

A few comments on the fit, in case helpful to others (for reference it is the calico shirt with standard collar), if I may (assuming this is appropriate thread material, didn't realise it was so tightly policed ;) ) - and to be clear, none of this is criticism, merely observation from someone without much experience:

- It is slim (or I am wide...) through the waist and hips - not too slim, and sits nicely when tucked in, but might be a little slim for me to wear untucked without losing a few lbs.
- It is very slim through the cuffs - I know this was made very clear on your website, and it leads to a really nice fit - except I can barely get my (fairly modestly sized) sports watch under the cuff!
- The collar sits high, which gives a great old school look when sitting right - but does take a bit of effort to stop it splaying out over the lapel of the jacket (worn open without a tie, having tried it with two different albeit unstructured jackets - perhaps wouldn't have this problem with structured jackets).

OldsRecordingGuy

Reaction score
The shirt arrived yesterday, thank you. I really like it, and am wearing it today with an unstructured navy corduroy suit, which I think it works well with. The calico material is lovely.

A few comments on the fit, in case helpful to others (for reference it is the calico shirt with standard collar), if I may (assuming this is appropriate thread material, didn't realise it was so tightly policed ;) ) - and to be clear, none of this is criticism, merely observation from someone without much experience:

- It is slim (or I am wide...) through the waist and hips - not too slim, and sits nicely when tucked in, but might be a little slim for me to wear untucked without losing a few lbs.
- It is very slim through the cuffs - I know this was made very clear on your website, and it leads to a really nice fit - except I can barely get my (fairly modestly sized) sports watch under the cuff!
- The collar sits high, which gives a great old school look when sitting right - but does take a bit of effort to stop it splaying out over the lapel of the jacket (worn open without a tie, having tried it with two different albeit unstructured jackets - perhaps wouldn't have this problem with structured jackets).
Your comments on the fit sound good to me as a very slim guy. Similar to the aforementioned cut work trousers which are apparently and luckily slimmer than I had originally thought.
Appropriate thread material, haha, and nice pun (if intended;))

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feedback.

I'm heartened to hear you received the shirt and that you like it. And I always appreciate detailed observations: always eager to hear from our folks to improve ourt work.

1. Fit through the waist and hips: the shirt was designed with a fairly slim fit in mind, halfway between a formal shirt and a casual one, such that it can be worn casually, untucked, or with a suit. Generally — and with great relief and praise to the shirt gods — it seems to work well with lots of different body sizes.

2. Slim cuffs: glad to hear that the slim cuffs provide a nice fit, and the idea is that they give a tailored look and provide a snug fit at the end of the sleeve ... but yes, with a big sports watch, it will always be a battle! Perhaps because it is different to what you wear currently it feels peculiar; the shirt and watch might get to know each other better with time and wear.

3. Collar height: it might be your soft jacket, yes, which might come up lower on the neck than a more structured one. Our collar stand is higher than some that I see, but only to the tune of about 0.5cm. It all makes a difference though, I agree, and I guess part of the adventure of dressing is finding out what works well with what!

Again, thanks! Your input is appreciated; it keeps me on my toes to keep refining our work.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamonyx