• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The field shirt has undergone a few design changes and will reappear in the spring, and the flight jacket has had a more substantial facelift and might emerge later next year (no plans as yet).
If the flight jacket returns in the umber sail-cloth, I'm probably good for one!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If the flight jacket returns in the umber sail-cloth, I'm probably good for one!

That's a great cloth.

The flight jacket re-development started with that sort of cloth in mind, but the sample was made in a woollen cloth, similar to that used for the peacoat — because of a lack of available scrap cloth to hand at the time! — and actually turned out very nicely. So that's gave me pause for thought. We might use the woollen cloth for the body and the cotton for the sleeves, because it has a saddle shoulder and so would accentuate that part of its design. We did the same many moons ago for an early version of the flight jacket (e.g. https://burnish.hatenablog.jp/entry/2017/10/27/174050).

PacoPico

Reaction score
That’s a great looking combo and I expect it is good for durability. Who needs elbow patches when your entire sleeve is canvas?

I’m looking forward to seeing the new guernsey colors but we’ll see if I can justify getting a second sweater so soon. I’m loving the dark grey crewneck and it’s barely even cold enough to wear it yet.

Csus2

Reaction score
Honestly it’s barely cold enough to wear the crew neck in late January. I wore it with a rain coat in -20 C degree weather and I was sweating.

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but is there a reason why there is not a sweep measurement on the Ulster?

For example:
M Topcoat Sweep: 23
M Balmacaan Sweep: 24

Does the Ulster fall more closely to one of those two? Does the measurement not make sense to consider for a coat like the Ulster?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but is there a reason why there is not a sweep measurement on the Ulster?

For example:
M Topcoat Sweep: 23
M Balmacaan Sweep: 24

Does the Ulster fall more closely to one of those two? Does the measurement not make sense to consider for a coat like the Ulster?

I just forgot, that's all.

It will follow the same pattern as those two coats, yes.

Reaction score
I just forgot, that's all.

It will follow the same pattern as those two coats, yes.

So for a M Ulster the chest is 22in and the sweep will be approximately 2in greater than the chest (22+2=24in) similar to how the topcoat and balmacaan constructions have sweeps that are 2in greater than their respective chest sizes?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So for a M Ulster the chest is 22in and the sweep will be approximately 2in greater than the chest (22+2=24in) similar to how the topcoat and balmacaan constructions have sweeps that are 2in greater than their respective chest sizes?

Between 1 and 2 inches, yes. It has a bit of waist suppression so probably nigh-on 2 inches as you say.

I'll measure one when back behind the wheel and will get back to you.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I can confirm that the step between pit measurement and sweep on the Ulster is 1.5 inches.

If you are factoring the sweep into how the coat will fit on your body, remember that the back of the coat has an inverted pleat, which increases the sweep measurement considerably. I would say "increases the sweep measurement considerably when the coat is in use" but the pleat is pretty much always active on this sort of coat, truth be told, especially when the coat in question is made with Herdwick tweed, which bounces around and doesn't permit the pleat to sit closed for long / at all.

Last edited:

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great cloth.

The flight jacket re-development started with that sort of cloth in mind, but the sample was made in a woollen cloth, similar to that used for the peacoat — because of a lack of available scrap cloth to hand at the time! — and actually turned out very nicely. So that's gave me pause for thought. We might use the woollen cloth for the body and the cotton for the sleeves, because it has a saddle shoulder and so would accentuate that part of its design. We did the same many moons ago for an early version of the flight jacket (e.g. https://burnish.hatenablog.jp/entry/2017/10/27/174050).
¿Porque no los dos?

And speaking of wool, might I suggest tweed as a vessel for the field shirt's triumphal return?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
¿Porque no los dos?

And speaking of wool, might I suggest tweed as a vessel for the field shirt's triumphal return?

It's a good idea ... but the most immediate re-appearance of the field shirt, at least, will be very heavy linen — with spring in mind.

KeeperEUSC

Reaction score
Received my Ulster this morning, absolutely love it - hoped the half-belt would give me enough flexibility to make the XL sizing work and it really did just the trick.
Where's the sleeve intended to fall on the Ulster? I knew my sizing tradeoff was that I'd have to get them shortened, my sense was that they should end just at the wrist.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Received my Ulster this morning, absolutely love it - hoped the half-belt would give me enough flexibility to make the XL sizing work and it really did just the trick.
Where's the sleeve intended to fall on the Ulster? I knew my sizing tradeoff was that I'd have to get them shortened, my sense was that they should end just at the wrist.

That's really heartening to hear!

Cheers.

There's no "intended to" with where the sleeves fall, as arms vary by such ludicrous amounts (humans really are an outlier in the Mammalia class in this respect). However, they are cut to the standard length for classic British overcoats, and so for the very most standard (western or I guess British) man they would fall to just before the start of the hands.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sallydaveis