• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
I didn’t mean to criticise or anything. I know you like to make things in the best way you can. I’d never think it would be a good thing for you to compromise on things you felt were important. I don’t feel I’ve done the best job of conveying my point that it feels like the new items have been at the fanciest end of the SEHK spectrum (full greatcoats, herdwick tweed etc)

I think what you do is great and I wish things were different and it wasn't costing so much more to make quality clothes. Unfortunately quite a lot about the UK and world situation would need to change to make things better.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There's no getting around the duffle and greatcoat being priced higher than most else in our range, simply on account of their cloth usage.

The duffle is made with narrow-width cloth so in theory uses twice as much as standard.

At the same time, we tried to control the price of the peacoat, trucker jacket, and field jacket, and likewise the knitwear.

Most of the recent styles we have developed are fairly complex, it's true, as we are trying to achieve designs which are different or novel, or execute existing or traditional ideas in menswear in new ways. We love doing this more than anything but it usually does have an adverse impact on accessibility, price-wise.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
…yet people I meet in this industry (professionals) tend to baulk at our prices for the opposite reason!

I’d mentioned previously almost coming to blows with my tailor when I told him the price of the SB3 / trouser combo. He used the words “producers selling their souls manufacturing overseas”. When I dropped it was made in the UK he was a breath short of calling me a liar. I consider the pieces I buy supreme value but that doesn’t mean cheap.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’d mentioned previously almost coming to blows with my tailor when I told him the price of the SB3 / trouser combo. He used the words “producers selling their souls manufacturing overseas”. When I dropped it was made in the UK he was a breath short of calling me a liar. I consider the pieces I buy supreme value but that doesn’t mean cheap.

This is music to the ears of the fragile ego of the beleaguered menswear designer (but the "almost" in your first sentence does take the shine off rather).

It makes me think there are so many ways to assess quality — whether the cloth, the details and features, the pattern and shape, the standard of stitching and cleanliness of pockets, or the way in which the garment is assembled.

Some assess all the above and more; others place importance in just a few.

Last edited:

Csus2

Reaction score
My tailor tried to guess the cost of the first few S.E.H Kelly pieces that I showed him, based on his assessment of their quality, and he always overshot it by something like 25%-33%. He might have been blowing smoke up my derrière, but it seems odd to tell me e.g. the trousers have nicer finishing than his own made to measure stuff lol.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, any chance of a SB3/trouser combo in a dark charcoal color on the horizon?

Not exactly charcoal, but very dark navy and very dark brown / charcoal (a mix of the two) — both an SB jacket and matching field trousers are being made currently and through the first weeks of December.

The cloth is a mid-weight tweed, mottled and a little bit gnarly, from West Yorkshire.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I bought a grey wool Kelly shirt on eBay, about which I was very excited. It’s way too small though. I’m usually a slim M and it was marked M. It fits well on the shoulders, is close to the body (which I like but is surprising given the other SEH pieces I’ve tried), the body was quite short (it couldn’t be tucked) and the sleeves on my admittedly fairly long arms were at least an inch too short. I am wondering if this is how it should be in an M, or if it’s been washed and shrunk?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I bought a grey wool Kelly shirt on eBay, about which I was very excited. It’s way too small though. I’m usually a slim M and it was marked M. It fits well on the shoulders, is close to the body (which I like but is surprising given the other SEH pieces I’ve tried), the body was quite short (it couldn’t be tucked) and the sleeves on my admittedly fairly long arms were at least an inch too short. I am wondering if this is how it should be in an M, or if it’s been washed and shrunk?

Oh dear. It doesn't sound brilliant ... but best check the measurements against another of our shirts to better understand what if anything has happened to it.

It could be a very old one, maybe, as we changed our shirt from a shorter and boxier fit about six years ago.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul @sehkelly
I can see that the Duffle coat is out but "XS" and "XL" are sold out already. Do you still have any stock on the XS?

Unfortunately, those were the first two sizes to sell out to the gents on the "waiting list' from the past 12 months — such are how the cards fall, sometimes, sorry to say.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, those were the first two sizes to sell out to the gents on the "waiting list' from the past 12 months — such are how the cards fall, sometimes, sorry to say.
Sad story.. I have been waiting for it since a month ago, but I guess some people waited for even longer.
If so many ppl were on the waiting list on certain sizes, why don't you make a couple more on those sizes? I think "XS" on the greatcoat sold out right after it was released too...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sad story.. I have been waiting for it since a month ago, but I guess some people waited for even longer.
If so many ppl were on the waiting list on certain sizes, why don't you make a couple more on those sizes? I think "XS" on the greatcoat sold out right after it was released too...

Indeed — some have been waiting since January, either for the Herdwick version of the coat or the regular version.

And we try our very best to make best use of cloth, I assure you!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM