• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubber or leather for RM Williams?

wosk

Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for a while and this is my first thread so please be gentle
wink.gif

Well, I've decided I need a pair of nice boots, sleek enough to be able to go to the bar or the nightclub in for those rainy or snowy days when the dress shoes aren't good enough to take me there. My eyes has fallen upon a pair of brown RM Williams craftsman which fits me nicley. I had almost decided upon buying a pair with rubber soles since I'm going to use them in rainy or snowy weather (well mosly slushy). But then I noticed that I can get them alot cheaper online (about half price) but mostly with leather soles.

So my question is (yes I've been searching the forums here, but it's hard to find an answer to my circumstances): Should I go for the same boot quite alot cheaper but with a leather sole and put rubber soles on it or just go for the rubber and let them take the beating they're made for?

Sincerly

Oskar

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you intend using them a lot in inclement weather, then I would go with the rubber soles. For all other situations, it would be leather all the way.

wosk

Reaction score
Living in Southern Sweden isn't easy, not enough crap for my gardeners (and not sleek enough to go out in) and too much for dress shoes. Nov-Mar is usually light rain, a bit of slush and sometimes even snow (usually just enough to make things white ;D). I've always hated that I cant wear nice shoes during almost half the year so I should atleast have nice boots. Tthanks for the answer even if I was hoping you would say "Oh go ahead the cheaper ones are even better!"
wink.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather soles are the better option overral, but not for your situation ie. wearing them in the rain and snow. The boots themselves are top quality either way, so wear them in good health.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
The leather soles are the better option overral, but not for your situation ie. wearing them in the rain and snow. The boots themselves are top quality either way, so wear them in good health.

I living in Sydney, so its easy for me to get access to these boots, but for AUD400, when i can get a pair of boots made to measure for AUD250.. should i bother with RM Williams? A matter of money or personal preference??

I don't own a pair yet, but tried on craftsman in store for 5 minutes.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
I living in Sydney, so its easy for me to get access to these boots, but for AUD400, when i can get a pair of boots made to measure for AUD250.. should i bother with RM Williams? A matter of money or personal preference??

Where can you get a pair of boots Made to Measure for AUD250? Or do you mean Made to Order?

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd I/O
Where can you get a pair of boots Made to Measure for AUD250? Or do you mean Made to Order?
Must be MTO, AFAIK they don't offer MTM.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic

It'd be hard to find a top quality chelsea boot MTO for $250. You can get a Henry Baxter Classic for not too much more than that, but it wouldn't be MTO. You can't go wrong with either that or an RM Williams Craftsman, both are highly recommended.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wosk
I've been a lurker here for a while and this is my first thread so please be gentle
wink.gif

Well, I've decided I need a pair of nice boots, sleek enough to be able to go to the bar or the nightclub in for those rainy or snowy days when the dress shoes aren't good enough to take me there. My eyes has fallen upon a pair of brown RM Williams craftsman which fits me nicley. I had almost decided upon buying a pair with rubber soles since I'm going to use them in rainy or snowy weather (well mosly slushy). But then I noticed that I can get them alot cheaper online (about half price) but mostly with leather soles.

So my question is (yes I've been searching the forums here, but it's hard to find an answer to my circumstances): Should I go for the same boot quite alot cheaper but with a leather sole and put rubber soles on it or just go for the rubber and let them take the beating they're made for?

Sincerly

Oskar

I have leather and RM rubber fitted examples. I would prefer to have leather and a good fitted topy than the RM rubber ones from my experience.

brittain

Reaction score
If it were me, I would just get the leather soled pair online. Ive got leather soled that I wear in any weather (although I admit DC winters aren't like Sweden's)

Tallswede

Reaction score
For Swedish weather:
After a chat to Bäckmans Skoservice (responsible for RMW warranties in Sweden) the other day they strongly recommended leather sole (Craftsman) and they would glue a thin rubber sole on top of that. They do it for free !
Blaxland (Same style as Craftsman, but rubber sole) delaminates quite often at the toe part. This counts for 90% of their RMW repairs according to the man I talked to.
The leather sole also stays stiffer and more rigid over time due to other materials being used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads