• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rome shopping + restaurants

rjsphd

Reaction score
i had good luck with bespoke work from Micocci in Rome. He was quick with a fitting and had tons of handwork. got his name from the Flusser book. Been a while, so don't know if he is still around. I also had good luck with Caleffi, a store near the Marcus Aurelius column. It is MTM more than bespoke,but I am happy with the product. Great service.

I also second the recommendation of the Galleria Doria Pamphilj. It is an amazing little museum in the heart of Rome. Well worth the visit.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No trip to Rome is complete without a visit to the Capuchin monks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt[/quote]

The bone church! :wow: This is a very cool little spot (especially if you have little kids), right near the Piazza Barberini near the bottom of Via Veneto. Supposedly Cappuccino was named after the color of the monks' robes...

* there's a new modern art museum up on the east side of the Tiber across from the Stadio Olimpico that's reportedly very cool (Maxxi)

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i had good luck with bespoke work from Micocci in Rome. He was quick with a fitting and had tons of handwork. got his name from the Flusser book. Been a while, so don't know if he is still around. I also had good luck with Caleffi, a store near the Marcus Aurelius column. It is MTM more than bespoke,but I am happy with the product. Great service.
I also second the recommendation of the Galleria Doria Pamphilj. It is an amazing little museum in the heart of Rome. Well worth the visit.

A family member (adopted) still lives on the top floor. And the areas that are now the museum were occupied as a private home by a biological heir well until the 20th century. Can you imagine growing up in such a place? And did you happen to catch a glimpse of the gilded crib?
Amazing.

Last edited:

rjsphd

Reaction score
I once was in the museum when the mother (Countess?) strolled through. It was my understanding that she lived in the apartments of the building. Hard to believe that a family had kids running (and rollerskating, if you listen to the tape they give you) through the halls with a Velasquez and Boticellis on the walls. It is my favorite museum.

oldpreppyguy

Reaction score
I think the street Wicky is referring to in his earlier post is Via Babuino - it runs from the bottom of the Spanish Steps to the Piazza de Popolo. Along with all of the great boutiques on Via Babuino (including a neat little optical shop), there are a couple of great, off-the-beaten-path, restaurants on one of the side streets about three blocks before you get to the plaza.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had very good meals at
L'Arcangelo - if you can make it, go on a Thursday for Gnocchi
Al Moro - I love this place, Spaghetti Al Moro are great.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Greetings from Rome! A bit overcast but nice to be back in Trastevere.

Going to Checchino dal 1887 tonight.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Caleffi is a great shop. Mostly RTW, but very nicely edited from some of the better Italian makers. I bought a few things there on my last trip and happen to be wearing the tie today. The tie is from Mattabisch and is co-branded with Caleffi (i.e. Mattabisch Napoli cucito per Caleffi Roma).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads