• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do look pretty close this time actually, but I'm still not sure about the waist.
Last season they had jeans with 15.5-16" waists and 6.5" leg openings measured as 14.5" and 5.5"
I have the Ash jeans coming tomorrow so we'll see.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here too, I wear my Petro leather constantly. through spring and fall.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my favorite designer

most other designers imo put out stuff you can't casually wear without looking like a sore thumb.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hope to get my hands on more accessories. predominately hats and scarves. Too bad my hair is so chunky now that it feels impossible to put a hat on.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Geller seems like one of the more accessible non-heritage brands discussed around these parts. He's definitely one of the more polarizing designers around here. You've got folks who seem to scoop up several items from each collection, while others seem to note their distaste for Geller on a routine basis. There was a good Geller discussion from both sides of the fence in the RFT thread last spring that brought forth some concrete pros and cons about the label.
I fall somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure I've seen a RG collection that hasn't included at least a couple of items I'd like to have in my closet. The laced-cuff overcoat from F/W '10 was the sort of understated, yet attention-grabbing product Geller is capable of when he gets it right. On the other hand, most collections are also good for some real swings and misses. Stuff such as the student cardigan are examples of what happens when Geller gets too cute with his designs.
I do love the fabrics the man uses for his mainline stuff and don't mind gushing about that. That's really all I'm usually looking for with this whole crazy jawnz thing. I'll admire the really balls-of-steel-level boldness from the sidelines, but when it comes to my own wardrobe, I prefer sharp design with good fabrics. Geller usually meets that criteria.

I went back and looked at that discussion. Someone in there made the very good point that it's the buyers who are responsible for a store only carrying dip-dyed sweatshirts and that sort of stuff. I'm pretty certain I remember Geller saying in an interview that he found buyers' preferences a little frustrating. He said something like he has a showroom full of these great romantic pieces and they go straight to the jeans and tees because they know those items will sell. (Tried to find the interview just now but I couldn't locate it; if anyone happens to know where it is that would be awesome). There were also complaints that some Geller stuff is just too over-the-top to wear. But that isn't a criticism of the design really, it's more about what the individual is comfortable wearing.

Personally, one of the things I like about Geller is that within the same collection there are awesome standout pieces and then more run-of-the-mill stuff that anyone would be comfortable wearing, but that still has something unique about it. Geller's buttondowns, for example, are mostly just regular shirts with a good cut, made of nice fabrics and with cool details like covered buttons. Or the fencing shirt, which is unusual but not particularly attention-calling. One of my favorite Geller shirts is just a light denim with a contrast collar in dark denim. I could wear that every day and make it look different every time depending on how I wear it. But it's still just a simple shirt. A lot of the runway looks come together in the styling, but they can totally be deconstructed and the individual pieces used in more conservative, everyday looks. This look below is probably more dandyish than most guys would want to wear, but if you ditch the cumberbund and the scarf, you still have an awesome (easily wearable) jacket over a cool shirt and jeans.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I went back and looked at that discussion. Someone in there made the very good point that it's the buyers who are responsible for a store only carrying dip-dyed sweatshirts and that sort of stuff. I'm pretty certain I remember Geller saying in an interview that he found buyers' preferences a little frustrating. He said something like he has a showroom full of these great romantic pieces and they go straight to the jeans and tees because they know those items will sell. (Tried to find the interview just now but I couldn't locate it; if anyone happens to know where it is that would be awesome). There were also complaints that some Geller stuff is just too over-the-top to wear. But that isn't a criticism of the design really, it's more about what the individual is comfortable wearing.

The collections that we’ve pushed the most are the ones that have not only got the least amount of buys, but the ones I’ve got the least personal wears out of as well. So in the end, you keep criticising stores and customers for being boring, but look at what I’m wearing: pants and a t-shirt. You can push it and style it and put it together in a cool way, and that’s how men make their clothes special and unique. We don’t want big, crazy cape things.

That would be frustrating as a designer, since this behavior pulls you between designing what's going to satiate your artistic vision and making what's actually going to pay the bills. You can design a lot of cool stuff that gets enthusiasts all frenzied, but sits around gathering dust, or you can design safe, "high quality" staples that will move off the shelves, but probably get you labeled as a boring designer.

Still, there's justification in not straying too far left of center in designing the majority of your collection. I mean, even guys like us who really pay attention to this stuff have our share of days where we probably just want to wear something simple such as the pants + tee.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, one of the things I like about Geller is that within the same collection there are awesome standout pieces and then more run-of-the-mill stuff that anyone would be comfortable wearing, but that still has something unique about it. Geller's buttondowns, for example, are mostly just regular shirts with a good cut, made of nice fabrics and with cool details like covered buttons. Or the fencing shirt, which is unusual but not particularly attention-calling. One of my favorite Geller shirts is just a light denim with a contrast collar in dark denim. I could wear that every day and make it look different every time depending on how I wear it. But it's still just a simple shirt. A lot of the runway looks come together in the styling, but they can totally be deconstructed and the individual pieces used in more conservative, everyday looks. This look below is probably more dandyish than most guys would want to wear, but if you ditch the cumberbund and the scarf, you still have an awesome (easily wearable) jacket over a cool shirt and jeans.

I agree with a lot of this but DAMN what season is that jacket from / where can I get it right now

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F/W11, wasn't produced since I didn't even see it stocked in Japan. Time to hit Geller on the cell Bows!

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have the scarred cardigan from F/W '10, right, Nil? Must be frustrating that only select pieces, generally knits, will conceivably fit you. I'm probably on the cusp myself, since I really dislike any pulling across the back, which bumps me up to a 52 in most of his stuff.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have the scarred cardigan from F/W '10, right, Nil? Must be frustrating that only select pieces, generally knits, will conceivably fit you. I'm probably on the cusp myself, since I really dislike any pulling across the back, which bumps me up to a 52 in most of his stuff.

Yeah, I do. It fits oversized and is super stretchy, so it works for me. And yes, it's rather frustrating.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads