• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rolex explorer 1 vs omega railmaster?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been hankering after an explorer 1 for some time because of its elegant size, clean looks and overall versatility (ie both dress and sports watch feel).i'm a one-watch person really, and it seems to go with anything from jeans and t to a suit. but recently i've seen an omega railmaster black dial 36mm model..
the omega also seems to fit the above bill and from all the research ive done the co-axial movement is equal to if not better than the rolex. i like rolex as a brand, of course, but i like omega too. price is also a big factor: a used explorer is at least 2000 GBP whereas i could get a railmaster for maybe 1100 ..
any opinions please?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go for the Explorer I. AT first I thought it was too small but it isn't really as bad. I am not a big fan of the railmaster, to me the dial seems a bit dull. I would rather an Aqua Terra over the railmaster any day.

Get the Explorer I, you won't regret it.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Timex military style $25 at Target or your friendly AAFEES store.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I'd go for the Explorer I. AT first I thought it was too small but it isn't really as bad.

Get the Explorer I, you won't regret it.

+1 on the Exp1, a timeless classic, very versatile, and will take more punishment and live far beyond the omega, I mean the eta 28xx is good, but not as good as rlx 31xx.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting, i'd heard that the omega co-axial movement was easily as good. and there is that famous review of the expl 1 by some watch expert on the net, where he basically says its not all that. to be honest i just think it looks really cool

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that article you are talking about is about the Explorer I's last generation movement. IIRC, it has long been changed/modified and works much better. Since your in the 2nd hand market, you just have to know which movement you are getting with the watch.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
+1 on the Exp1, a timeless classic, very versatile, and will take more punishment and live far beyond the omega, I mean the eta 28xx is good, but not as good as rlx 31xx.

The comparison isn't fair; an 2892 against the Rolex movement is a wash. But when you put the co axial escapement on it, the Omega movement is better. That being said, I'm a huge Omega fan, but don't really care for the Railmaster. Therefore, I'd choose the Explorer 1. I think a more apt comparison would be with the AquaTerra.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, doing a bit of Rolex research and came across this thread. Just wanted to weigh in that the OP should consider the new Aqua Terra instead of the Rail Master. While the Omega/Rolex debate can continue, the new AT with the 8500 movement (designed by Omega, built specifically for Omega, but by ETA, another Swatch subsidiary) is a better watch than the RM by far. Upgraded movement and far, far superior bracelet. I, personally, don't love the new dials, but the watches are very solid and feel nice.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Sorry, doing a bit of Rolex research and came across this thread. Just wanted to weigh in that the OP should consider the new Aqua Terra instead of the Rail Master. While the Omega/Rolex debate can continue, the new AT with the 8500 movement (designed by Omega, built specifically for Omega, but by ETA, another Swatch subsidiary) is a better watch than the RM by far. Upgraded movement and far, far superior bracelet. I, personally, don't love the new dials, but the watches are very solid and feel nice.

To me, it is hard to justify the price icnrease. I particularly like the old AT and also considered the 8500 AT but the $1,500 price difference isn't easy to justify. Maybe it's just me.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
To me, it is hard to justify the price icnrease. I particularly like the old AT and also considered the 8500 AT but the $1,500 price difference isn't easy to justify. Maybe it's just me.

Well, to be fair, that's $1,500 at MSRP. In reality, probably closer to $1,000. But have you actually handled the new AT? The feel of the bracelet is the big exterior difference, IMO. It's sort of like the new vs. old Rolex Oyster bracelets (on that one I'm a fan of the old because I like the simple clasp and dislike the polished center links for tradition's sake), the new one just feels more solid and "grown up."

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While I like the aesthetic of the "deck-style" dial, it just isn't as classic look as the old one. I have a feeling it will get old quickly. I mean I did love it the first time I saw and handled it in person, especially the brown with rose gold case and it still felt like I might get tired of the new dial quick. Overall, the old one with the regular dial is just more classic and I can see myself wearing it a decade from now and probably longer. I think they should have still offered the regular dial with the new movement, it would have been a good option for those who liked the classic dial.

As for the price difference, we have to base it off the msrp because not everyone can get the same discount so that is what we have to base our pricing from.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
medoctruyenfull