• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rock hard leather inner and outer soles can beat your poor feet to a pulp. Here's what I do....

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

21myems.jpg

What shoe is that? I can't tell from the shot.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My bias also stems from the fact that I don't wear black shoes for style points (funeral, etc)

Wait there are people actually like this? This is the worst ******* SF groupthink idea ever. WEAR YOUR BLACK SHOES.

Seriously i don't get this. You wear all different shades of brown but never black? You do realise that on some occasions, black actually looks better? Especially at night.

bigbucky

Reaction score

Bucky, is the benefit of barefoot running then lost on people with flat arches?

Actually it is better for people with flat arches. They're flat because those muscles aren't being used. Those sneakers with 2" of foam may feel comfy but they are killing your feet. The arch of your foot was designed as a spring. Encasing it in foam is like keeping your arm in a cast and wondering why it's so weak.

Sorry for derailing the thread :lol:

DrHouse

Reaction score
To clarify, it was the balls of my feet that took the most abuse. With the heel gels, that wasn't an issue. Just the bedrock of the rest of the soles, and the balls being the other main contact point.
If it's really a double sole break-in issue, like the Tootsie Pop owl, I will keep track of the wears, and update you on the day I come home with no tenderness in the balls of my feet.

Te shoes are the wrong size. The heel to ball length is too short which is putting pressure on the arch and hence the heel. You're about due for plantar faciitis.
And btw, that less than 1/4" one piece leather insole on an AE and other high quality shoe bends perfectly well while at the same time giving good support to the arch. I've been wearing AE, Church etc for 40 years and they've all felt perfect from the moment I put them on. People who have problems are wearing the wrong size and/or width or a type or style of shoe that is just not compatible with their foot shape.Just because you like a style of shoe does not mean that you can wear it. I've also never had to break any shoe in unless you mean just walking around in it for a few hours so that the leather sole bends a bit but that doesn't mean that the shoe was uncomfortable to start with.And buying an $800 shoe that comes in 1 width is just crazy. After you're properly measured by an Experienced salesman you first try that size, and then go up and down 1/2 a size and do the same with the width until you find one size/width combo that is perfect.
IIt's not really even the hardness of an insole that is uncomfortable which as I said bends anyway but how the shoe fits. When a person has plantar faccitis in addition to other treatment the doctor will tell them to use a HARD Spenco arch. Hardness in the right spot actually takes pressure off the foot and heel. The better shoes have this quality and a built in arch. And the top companies that have beenmaking good leather shoes for a very long time would not have stayed in business for so long if they were making shoes that killed your feet.

DrHouse

Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Comparing himself to a genius whose name he can't spell -- and it's not even Machiavelli, Nietzsche, etc.
If you were the "opposite" of piss poor, you wouldn't start threads whining about how you can't afford nice black shoes.
You don't talk to other people except over the internet, do you .....

That sounds about right. But you have to feel sorry for someone who is so insecure and apparently has some sort of inferiority complex that he has to post comments criticising expensive items that he can't afford. You don't really believe that this guy wears $800 shoes. JM casual shoes are perfectly good and he should just wear them and enjoy them without feeling the need to criticise more expensive items. In fact, I still have a couple of pairs of them myself from 10 years ago when they were made in Italy and sold for about $150 or so and are excellent shoes.i also have quite a few $500 black shoes, slip ons because that's what I like but I won't criticise someone who likes something else.

DrHouse

Reaction score
Hey, if you suckers want to drop $500 on a pair of plain black shoes, what do I care? I personally think the money could be put to much better use. Like a pair of whiskey shell wingtips. To each their own. The funniest part about all of this is 90% of the SF posers don't even own $500 black shoes, so I don't even see what all the indignation is about.

Don't you mean poseur?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good point, but these are the very smallest and thinnest heel gels.
http://www.amazon.com/Scholls-Massaging-Heel-Cushions-Womens/dp/B00099E8W8
They are from the women's section, in fact. (flame on, trolls)
They are not like the big footlong inserts you need to cut to size.
Those kind do not fit in my shoes, like you said.
Regardless, I've already addressed the mythical fit issue.
I bet I could drive a nail with the insoles, if the shoe were somehow turned inside out.
Take your pick: Vass AE C&J Florsheim. All could drive a nail, I bet.

You are walking the wrong way. Dont land on your heels.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The better shoes have this quality and a built in arch. And the top companies that have beenmaking good leather shoes for a very long time would not have stayed in business for so long if they were making shoes that killed your feet.
Sorry, your logic is weak. Trust me, their "comfort" is not why they are still in business. If you want to use "argumentum ad populm", you'd also note that perhaps 1% of shoe buyers wear these types of shoes. And cost is not the limiting factor, as people on welfare spend $300 on sneakers, perhaps more. SF approved dress shoes are a nonexistent blip in the footwear industry. There is a very good reason that Rockports, Eccos, Sketchers, et al. are the top selling shoes by a landslide. Why? B/c they are 1000x more comfortable than rock hard dress shoes. Here's a recent article that shows just how badly firms like AE have fared (the ones that are still left, that is) Besides the recent post-2008 uptrend, they are dinosaurs. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/fashion/21SHOES.html?pagewanted=all
When Paul Grangaard, a board member who was a partner in the private equity company that owned Allen Edmonds, became its chief executive in 2008, everyone knew that the company, and the entire industry, were shrinking. Only about 1 percent of shoes bought in the United States last year were actually produced here,

Last edited:

DrHouse

Reaction score
Sorry, your logic is weak. Trust me, their "comfort" is not why they are still in business. If you want to use "argumentum ad populm", you'd also note that perhaps 1% of shoe buyers wear these types of shoes. And cost is not the limiting factor, as people on welfare spend $300 on sneakers, perhaps more. SF approved dress shoes are a nonexistent blip in the footwear industry. There is a very good reason that Rockports, Eccos, Sketchers, et al. are the top selling shoes by a landslide. Why? B/c they are 1000x more comfortable than rock hard dress shoes.

Stop trying to make yourself sound smart by using Latin because you've never studied it as I have as a kid and are just grabbing a phrase from here and there. And it's populum.
And you seem to mention people on welfare a lot. Are you and your family on welfare? The you should know that aside from rent being paid and foodstamps that these people only get a few extra dollars to spend on themselves and no on is wearing expensive $300 shoes unless they have some racket on the side or bought them used at Sally's for $5.
The reason that expensive shoes like AE etc are a niche market is simple. People can't afford C&J 's anymore than they can afford a Volvo or Jaguar. And it's only the wealthier cognescenti who have both the money and taste who purchase certain items. Everything you own and buy is commensurate with your wealth. Someone where I live (Bedford, NY) living in a $5m property doesn't go out to a used car lot and buy a Hyundai unless he's giving it to the maid so she can drive to work. Even that would be a stretch because he'd just buy a cheaper new car for her use.
Yes, certain high priced items are indeed a blip and are only for a select few who have the money and taste to indulge themselves. There's a reason that wine in a box sells a million times as much as a Ch Lafite, or for that matter a million times the amount of a $30 bottle of wine.

You want comfortable shoes then buy Mephistos. I have all types of shoes and Mephistos are not any more comfortable than an AE with a leather insole and sole as long as the shoe FITS which is probably why you're having a problem. Tell the truth. You bought some used leather shoe that wasn't your size because it was next to nothing in cost and now it's killing your foot.

http://www.mephistowebstore.com/

tsacain

Reaction score
Personally I am a 23 year old male who wears dress shoes or cowboy boots almost exclusively. I find dress shoes very comfortable once broken in if they are in the right size. While working I wear redwings but that is because I am on concrete 10 hours a day walking all except my 30min lunch.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find dress shoes very comfortable once broken in if they are in the right size.
While working I wear redwings but that is because I am on concrete 10 hours a day walking all except my 30min lunch.

LOL, nice contradiction.
Obviously your dress shoes are not THAT comfortable.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has delivered the lulz. Great start to the morning! Thanks for your stellar contributions to teh styleforumz reev! :slayer:

posted in my black 500 dollar dress shoes that shouldn't even be worn by hobos because they're so boring, ugly, and painful to wear

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, do you march like a tin soldier, or do you walk on your tiptoes like a ballet dancer?
Stupidest post in this thread.

This thread has delivered the lulz. Great start to the morning! Thanks for your stellar contributions to teh styleforumz reev! :slayer:
posted in my black 500 dollar dress shoes that shouldn't even be worn by hobos because they're so boring, ugly, and painful to wear

Don't forget the watch. A $15 Casio is all anyone need unless they're "aping the upper class".

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads