• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wxxnxs

Reaction score
Today Qantas has announced new pilot uniform and RM Williams boots becomes part of it.

potter31

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a pair of "MACQUARIE" boots. Unfortunately, "MACQUARIE" boots are MTO and there's no way to try them on. My craftman size is 6.5 F as it turns out "MACQUARIE" only has one width i.e G. If anyone is interested in getting a bespoke/ MTO pair directly from RM Williams they will be launching detailed website sometime next week. Hopefully, they won't jack up the prices again.

equesta

Reaction score

[COLOR=545454]B168Y [/COLOR][COLOR=6A6A6A]RM Williams Executive Boot[/COLOR]​
I have searched this thread and I did not find any information on this style of boot. Is there anyone on the forum who can comment on the fit? I wear an 11F in the craftsman boot with the screwed sole, but this boot is now only available in a G fitting. Furthermore I have been advised that it is standard practice to go down a half size when ordering top boots as there is no elastic or fastenings holding your foot in place.
I recently bought a pair of Execs, I ordered them from London and picked them up on my trip to Australia. The way the RMW store checked the fit was to try on a pair of "The Yearling" boots. It ended up being my usual size for Craftsmans. The Execs fitted fine - the only thing to keep an eye on is the calf, which could get pretty tight if you have chunky/muscley calves.

equesta

Reaction score
I
Yes, that's it! Thank you. Do oh happen to know if they are made on the same last as the Macquarrie? The toe Shape seems very similar - at lead in the pictures I have seen.

I'm guessing they are. I bought a pair of The Yearlings initially thinking they were Macquaries. But the fit might be slightly different though as the higher block heel may change the position of your foot.

acinod

Reaction score
I've been tossing up between the Comfort Craftsman and Dynamic Flex Craftsman.

What are the main differences between the two and why would I choose one over the other?

Quiet Observer

Reaction score

What are the main differences between the two and why would I choose one over the other?

The Dynamic Flex is supposedly an improved version of the Comfort Craftsman. The main difference being that the Dynamic Flex has a combination composite leather sole whereas the Comfort Craftsman has a full composite sole. Both have the inner comfort cushions, so I would make my decision based on the weather where I live. When I lived in the UK it was a no brainer, I'd opt for the Comfort Craftsman every time due to the wet condition that would ultimately damage the leather part of the Dynamic Flex sole. Now I live in the United Arab Emirates where we don't get much rain, so I'd probably opt for the Dynamic Flex.

equesta

Reaction score

I was just in the same situation as you and after many hours researching (on this forum and in RMW stores) I just pulled the trigger on a pair of DFC's yesterday. I was after something more "everyday comfortable" after owning a few regular Craftsmans.

I won't go in to the exact technical details in the differences between the two as it's been discussed at length on this thread, but here are a couple of key points/experiences that helped me decide:

- From the outside and above, all three look virtually identical.
- The Comforts have composite sole (similar to the ones on regulars) and the DFC have a leather/composite combination which supposedly allows for greater flex. I've had it on good authority that because of the layered construction of the combination DFC soles, they don't last quite as long and a few have reported the layers peeling apart after wear. But the RMW stores insist they're just as durable. I always keep an eye on the wear on my RMWs and accept resole-ing is just part of ownership and both cost the same to resole.
- The key for me was the removable insoles - not because I use orthotics (though this is a no-brainer if you need to use orthotics), but I have quite sweaty feet and being able to remove the insoles allows me to air out the shoes better. And would probably keep the shoe cleaner (by being able to clean the insoles) compared to my regular Craftsmans
- The Comforts have the more similar "fit" to my regular Craftsmans - just with more cushioning. The DFCs definitely make your feet sit higher against the last. I actually ended up going half a size bigger.

Even if you have regular craftsmans, I would highly recommend you go to a RMW store to try them out - they do fit and feel very different and it's really a personal choice.

proteinnerd

Reaction score
I have both DFC and CC and the DFC are more comfortable to walk in. I would only buy DFC if I was in the market for a new pair and will probably get my CC resoled as DFC when the time comes.

redboat

Reaction score
New arrival at my house: Comfort All-Rounders (B543LN) in black. Although they're advertised as walking/work boots, I find them dressy enough for most social settings, and they have the same comfort as the Comfort Craftsmen, albeit at a lower price.

acinod

Reaction score
Finally got myself a pair of Dynamic Flex Craftsman in the Chestnut for the rainy weather in Melbourne next week.

I'm about to treat them with a layer of Saphir Renovateur. Is there anything else I need to do to take care of them before I wear them for the first time?

Also what about care overtime, will I need shoe trees?

milw50717

Reaction score

I'm about to treat them with a layer of Saphir Renovateur. Is there anything else I need to do to take care of them before I wear them for the first time?

Also what about care overtime, will I need shoe trees?

If you intend to wear them in the rain then consider putting some wax polish on after the Reno. If you are happy with the Saphir products then Reno and a polish should do you fine for pounding the city streets. If you are going paddling in the upside down river or facing really wet weather then maybe look at a throwing a waterproofing product into the mix. RM Williams also do some boot care products that are going to be cheaper than Saphir.

Some people use shoe/boot trees and others don't. Personal choice methinks.

Last edited:

proteinnerd

Reaction score
When I worked in the RM London store we were told no to shoe trees. This is 20 years ago now and I don't remember if they said you don't NEED to or you SHOULDN'T. I don't bother with them for any of my RM's.

The 1 thing they did recommend was alternating 2 pairs so that each pair had a full day to dry out before being worn again. I cant be sure if this was a sales trick to try and get us to sell 2 pairs to the rich Londoners or not but regardless, its something that stuck in my mind and I still have a pair I won from a staff sales competition 20 years ago that are going strong...so maybe it works?

phivoj

Reaction score
Hi there!

After reading through the SF quite some time, I finally decided to sign up after I purchased a pair of suede Turnouts while visiting Perth for a couple of days.
To be honest, I never heard of RMW before (shame on me) but what can I say - these boots are amazing. And with 200A$ (for all suedes at the waterfront outlet store) a real bargain, since that makes only 130€. The only thing what confuses me (a bit) is the sole. All pictures I could find show a different sole on the Turnouts (or most of the models) accept the Adelaide for women. The soles on my Turnouts only have the 2 lines of golden letters and no logo (neither on the leather nor the heel). Is it just an aesthetic difference or are these different soles after all? Anyway, the shoes just feel great, only one toe feels a bit snug but I think that will disappear after breaking them in.

That's what the sole looks like:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads