• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. They're cowboy boots. Where their scars with pride.

corgi invasion

Reaction score
well I guess putting up with the scars is one option, but the toughness of these particular cowboy boots is in question to me - I've never seen leather turn white so easily, and polishing does nothing. My other RMs don't have this vulnerability Anyway, I'll see what the RM people have to say.

Tsoi King Wan

Reaction score
I am having a really hard time finding the right fit here. I am generally an american size 10D.

I just received macquaries in 9 medium in the mail and the toe box and heel feel great, but the midfoot is not snugly gripping the middle of my foot. There are sort of bulges in the middle where my foot is not touching the leather.

Is this normal? Should I try sizing down and risking a too-tight toebox? Or is this something that will even out over time
same here... this I moment I am having the same problem, they ask me to measure my feet myself....

Last edited:

Bullitt

Reaction score

Bought a pair of Craftman two weeks ago. After wearing them three or four times for a couple of hours, the insole is already dissolving. I have a pair I bought six years ago and the still insole looks better than this.

Had a chat with a lady who works at the RMW shop in New Bond St. They will send me new pads. Good customer service, as expected.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well I guess putting up with the scars is one option, but the toughness of these particular cowboy boots is in question to me - I've never seen leather turn white so easily, and polishing does nothing. My other RMs don't have this vulnerability Anyway, I'll see what the RM people have to say. 

toughness has to do with durability, not resistance to superficial marks. when people talk about toughness of toyota landcruisers, it is in reference to hundreds of millions of miles driven across the desert, not that the paint job can withstand a keying.

if you want a surface that plays to scuffs better, get uppers like suede where the scratch can hide amongst the nap

Last edited:

corgi invasion

Reaction score
toughness has to do with durability, not resistance to superficial marks. when people talk about toughness of toyota landcruisers, it is in reference to hundreds of millions of miles driven across the desert, not that the paint job can withstand a keying.

if you want a surface that plays to scuffs better, get uppers like suede where the scratch can hide amongst the nap

Well, okay the leather is holding up fine structurally. But I don't think I have made the extent of the problem clear enough. More practically I'm comparing my whisky craftsmen to my chestnut craftsmen - after a week's wear, the chestnuts will show scuffs and scratches naturally, but then I put some polish on, and the scuff is covered, after nearly three years, they look aged but still good. There are no permanent white streaks across the toecaps.

With these whiskey boots, I am talking about white bare patches that will not polish out, the polish does not adhere to the white surface of the leather. These accumulate at a rate that means they would be bare of all pigment at all after a year's wear. I'm amazed that everyone so far seems to think this is natural. Does anyone else have pictures of their aged whisky craftsmen with such a pattern on them? Is there some trick with polishing light brown shoes that I don't know (I've only had black or dark brown shoes before)?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, okay the leather is holding up fine structurally. But I don't think I have made the extent of the problem clear enough. More practically I'm comparing my whisky craftsmen to my chestnut craftsmen - after a week's wear, the chestnuts will show scuffs and scratches naturally, but then I put some polish on, and the scuff is covered, after nearly three years, they look aged but still good. There are no permanent white streaks across the toecaps.

With these whiskey boots, I am talking about white bare patches that will not polish out, the polish does not adhere to the white surface of the leather. These accumulate at a rate that means they would be bare of all pigment at all after a year's wear. I'm amazed that everyone so far seems to think this is natural. Does anyone else have pictures of their aged whisky craftsmen with such a pattern on them? Is there some trick with polishing light brown shoes that I don't know (I've only had black or dark brown shoes before)? 

how cant "polish out" something that hasnt been added on. youve scuffed away the colored part of the upper. some shoe places have full re-dyeing service. they might be able to "touch up" a small part with matching dye. or you can try to do it yourself.

corgi invasion

Reaction score
how cant "polish out" something that hasnt been added on. youve scuffed away the colored part of the upper. some shoe places have full re-dyeing service. they might be able to "touch up" a small part with matching dye. or you can try to do it yourself.

fair enough. I'll read up on how to re-dye them.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Holy time warp, Batman! Glance at the last page of this thread while procrastinating, and see posts by Grimslade and josepidal. I feel like it's 2006 or something.

Whirling

Reaction score
I'm not sure you're still looking for sizing advice, but here it is. I wear a 9.5 D in Iron Rangers, which are pretty spot on about length, but just a touch wide for me. I also seem to be a 9.5 in Chippewas and Wolverines, though the Wolverines felt a touch large. I am also a 9.5 D in Alden Indy Boots on the True Balance last. (I wear a 10 D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, as well as Leeds and Dundees.) I have a pair of the RM Williams Comfort Craftsman in Australian 9.5 G, which actually fit relatively well width-wise, but are a bit too long. I think I should have gotten a 9 G.

I hope this helps. RM Williams makes nice boots... I got mine from bootsonline.com.au, which was terrific. The boots arrived in just under a week on the East Coast of the USA.

Regards,
Jon

shoeshineboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure you're still looking for sizing advice, but here it is. I wear a 9.5 D in Iron Rangers, which are pretty spot on about length, but just a touch wide for me. I also seem to be a 9.5 in Chippewas and Wolverines, though the Wolverines felt a touch large. I am also a 9.5 D in Alden Indy Boots on the True Balance last. (I wear a 10 D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, as well as Leeds and Dundees.) I have a pair of the RM Williams Comfort Craftsman in Australian 9.5 G, which actually fit relatively well width-wise, but are a bit too long. I think I should have gotten a 9 G.

I hope this helps. RM Williams makes nice boots... I got mine from bootsonline.com.au, which was terrific. The boots arrived in just under a week on the East Coast of the USA.

Regards,
Jon
Hi. I was measured at 9.5D (US size) on Iron Rangers and wear Wolverine 1000 mile wingtips the same size which are just a touch large both length and width. sneakers I wear 28cm New Balance.

Would that mean I should get a size 9 (AUS/UK) = size 10 US? Just wanted to make sure I didn't mix up US size with UK/AUS size. tks!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads