• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have a Macquarie, and I had the same size as my craftsman. The only thing is that I did find it a bit narrow, although not excessively so. If I had to buy them again, I would try the G standard width, although most quote the same size and width. As mentioned above, the F craftsman is a special order, and fits me perfectly.

mjolnir

Reaction score
If it helps, I`m a UK 8.5E, Whites 9D and a 9.5F (non standard, order) in RMW. I`m pretty happy with all 3 sizes. What I have found is that the RM Williams G is pretty wide, and the size up but G->F drop in width suits me better. I`m a bit surprised, as many quote the RMW the same size as a UK shoe, but I`m that much different, my UK size is a shoe not a boot, and this could explain some of this. But I`m a pretty comfortable Whites 9D and RMW 9.5F, and have more than one boot in each. You really would want to try different boots if possible, and given you are a Whites C, I`m not sure how the RMW G fit would suit you.

From your photos it would seem to be a good fit, and I`d say if you feel comfortable walking around, you will feel its the right fit. Given the differences in width though, make sure your whole foot is supported where you need it, and that you are not compensating in width or length.

Barry from bootsonline said that if I wanted to go down on width 9UK F might be the way to go. I'm leaning towards this right now because the G width just has a bit too much room and the 8.5UK feels like the toe could be just a hair longer. My toe doesn't hit the front but it does hit the top of the boot every time my foot bends.

How much more length would I be getting going up to a size 9 do you think? The heel on the 8.5 is pretty good. Minimal slipping and snug. I don't want to try and go up a length and lose the good heel fit.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barry from bootsonline said that if I wanted to go down on width 9UK F might be the way to go. I'm leaning towards this right now because the G width just has a bit too much room and the 8.5UK feels like the toe could be just a hair longer. My toe doesn't hit the front but it does hit the top of the boot every time my foot bends.

How much more length would I be getting going up to a size 9 do you think? The heel on the 8.5 is pretty good. Minimal slipping and snug. I don't want to try and go up a length and lose the good heel fit.

Barry is the guy to go with. He knows his stuff inside out. I started with the standard widths from him, and somehow found that the F special order (no premium I believe) worked better for me. On this I can say that no matter how you imagine your foot fitting the various sizes, once you get the correct fit, it will be evident - go with his advice. What I found is that although, like you, I was worried about width and heel fit, my foot fell into place much more naturally in ways I didn't imagine, as I came close to the correct size. And I needed possibly more length to compensate for the drop in width. That is, even if the boot felt like I needed a bit more room in places I imagined, my foot took a completely different position as it adjusted to a more comfortable fit. The points you mention above are good starting points, but as you get your true size, your foot will fit everywhere much better - so don't worry about heel slip on a larger size.

How much more length? I guess a cm or maybe less, but as I say, as your foot may fit and fall differently in a different last, I`d go with his advice. My Whites 9D/RMW 9.5F and your Whites 9.5C makes me think you could even go up a half size more in length.

FYI

If I stand on a ruler with my heels are at the widest point is at 0 cm, I get just under 27cm at the toe.

If I trace my foot with a pen vertically I get 27.5cm.

Standing on a ruler with pressure id say I fill in 10cm wide.

Maybe try and make some comparisons from my foot and size?

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this again, and having gone through what you are going through, I remember trying on a much smaller length and thinking it was fine - the fact that its a elastic sided boot makes one feel that the foot is fitting well, whereas when one walks around (after hours of wear), the foot takes a different place in the boot. Thats why perhaps relative measurements might be a good starting point. I`m curious what your length and width of your foot is in cm?

mjolnir

Reaction score
Hmm on page 9 or 10 of this thread, a guy went from a 10.5H to an 11.5G. This seems to be essentially what you did. Up a size down a width. He also said that the 11.5G was just a hair long for him and than 11G might be perfect.

My gut tells me to go with a 9F. I think I need a little more toe room to be comfortable and I think that going up in size and down in width will give me a width similar to 8.5G but snugger.

For the Macquarie, in general, in the same size as a craftsman is the toe longer? Or are they the same length of boot and the Macquarie toe simply narrows more aggressively?

If they are the same length boot but the Macquarie comes to a more aggressive taper, then I'm fairly sure 8.5 wouldn't cut it.

mjolnir

Reaction score
in CM standing on a ruler my length is roughly 27.7 to 28 cm depending on how accurate my heel is to the start mark. My width is also 10 CM.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`d hate to give you the wrong advice, but given your measurements, I`d say you would be more comfortable in a 9.5. I did find that the RMW length change was not as much as I expected, combined with a drop in width. I`m a 27cm and fit in a 9.5 with very little room in front (I mean exactly what I need for a good fit), so given your foot is longer than mine and the same width, a smaller size is questionable.

The Macquaries are the same length and width if I recall, and the narrower toe makes that feel much snugger. Your foot adapts, but you feel it.

Another way around is to try a standard 9H and 9.5H, and imagine the drop in width, but if you are not near a store, or cant get a refund on a mail order, might not be feasible.

Perhaps send Barry your measurements, and have him look at his records, or ask the factory?

Last edited:

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this again, my example of trying on the H sizes and then compensating for width might not be good advice - given what I said before of where your foots falls in the boot. Down a width and up a full size though does seem consistent with my experience - and given you are 9.5C Whites versus my 9D would make me feel you should not err on the side of caution length wise. Difficult decision I know, but bigger better than tighter, as you can always adjust by socks.

mjolnir

Reaction score
Hmm, I did send him my Brannock size and off of that he said that he would have advised me to size to a 9G. He said the 8.5G looked like a good fit and if I wanted to lose a bit of width I could try a 9F. However, I agree when you say the elastic sides do make it seem like it fits well even when it may not. After walking around a bit I could feel where my toes kept touching the top of the boot. I feel like I definitely need to go up in length. The question is how much and how to compensate in the width, haha.

Unfortunately, I am in the US. So I can't simply try a bunch of sizes and return them. I have to get it as close to correct as possible on my first go round. I ordered the one pair to try on from Mr. Porter and they only stock G widths and I couldn't even get a 9 to try because it's sold out.

I feel like I'm going to end up being a 9 or 9.5F. I need just a hair more to room especially for the Macquarie since it tapers more strongly.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But that's not why I'm posting. I was struck that the 11.5G seems no narrower than the 10.5H. The 11.5 is just barely perceptibly longer overall. Would you expect that going up a size and down a width would cancel out in width? I wouldn't. But there you have it.

FWIW, I wear an 11.5 EEE in AE PAs.
Here is the submission I think you may have seen (going back to 2006). Concur that going down a width needs quite a larger size in length from experience. Good luck and have fun with the order and boots - they will last forever!

Last edited:

albertotoole

Reaction score
Looking to sell a brand new unworn pair of brown suede comfort craftsman in 10G.

Bought from Aussie bush hats but too big for me. Only tried on on carpet within the house.

Post anywhere within UK

Looking for £260

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, that was me. On the internet, even shoe sizes are forever.
I'll have to check what I'm wearing now. My view of what fits in RMWs has evolved a bit in 9 years.

mjolnir

Reaction score
Yeah any input would be awesome. Trying to get an understanding of fit without being able to try on a lot of sizes is no fun. I went through the same process with my Whites and they're my best fitting boot so I'm hoping I am just as fortunate here!

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
I am in Austalia right now and just bought my first pair of RMW and so far I really love them. They cost about $300 USD here and I am wondering if I should pick up a second pair because it's not clear to me if they are that easy to come by in the USA. Mr. Porter sells them for almost $500 which is too much. I don't mind paying an extra $50-$75 for the convenience of having them delivered to my house.

I know my size so I have no problem buying them online but I don't want to pay any extra $200.

mjolnir

Reaction score
Extremely hard to come by in the US. Mr. Porter is the only place I've seen them for sale.

Mind me asking how you sized and what your brannock and common shoe sizes are?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads