• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
No need to get aggressive. I am well aware of how to search the thread, but i fail to see how someone asking about creases in their shoes bears any relevance to mine. Completely different circumstances in each case.

As to your advice, I have plenty of pairs of leather shoes including other rm williams which have no where near this level of creasing after months of wear. These have only been worn for 2 hours. Plus the creasing is only on one shoe, not both, which definitely doesn't seem normal.

But I appreciate your input.
Other people's creasing is relevant because this question has been asked time and time again, always with the same answer, that it is normal. The circumstances are quite similar in each case when it comes down to it. If you used the search function you would've seen that many people have different creasing in each of there boots and that is normal. It is quite simple, cow hides are a natural product so there are inconsistencies in the hide. If a shoe/boot is made with any attention to what the final product cost is going to be, they are going to maximize the usage of the hide. This include using somewhat lower grade parts of the hide, where the grain is a bit looser from the fleshy part below, causing heavier creasing.

TL/DR: Having heavier creases on one of your boots is common, and is usually a product of the manufacturer using different parts of the hide.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we should demand that RM Williams design a boot with a hardshell underneath the leather, perhaps an extension of the plastic toe cap, so that the boots will not crease as we wear them. They must be hard, like ski boots.

No, not really.

milw50717

Reaction score

So we should demand that RM Williams design a boot with a hardshell underneath the leather, perhaps an extension of the plastic toe cap, so that the boots will not crease as we wear them. They must be hard, like ski boots.
No, not really.

Varnish. Lots of varnish. Just hope it doesn't flake or peel when you stupidly forget to walk on your hands.

Junior

Reaction score
What colour and style are these?

Wentworth. They used to be brown. I stripped them and re-dyed them in order to achieve a antique burgundy/vintage rioja ish colour.

Last edited:

Silent Speaker

Reaction score

[COLOR=222222]Wentworth. They used to be brown. I stripped them and re-dyed them in order to achieve a antique burgundy/vintage rioja ish colour. [/COLOR]​

Wonderful!

I've often toyed with the idea of playing around with stripping a pair of RM's and dyeing them into some more interesting colour. I was always tentative because I was unsure as to whether or not it was possible. Access to lots of seconds in chestnut and black always had me thinking of the possibilities.

May I ask you some questions concerning your process?

-You mention these being brown Wentworths - were they a dark brown? Darker at least than this reddish colour you now have? If so I guess that they were chestnut (good to know that "boring old chestnut" can be altered if so)

-Were they the standard RMW yearling leather? Or perhaps instead the finer calf or even kangaroo?

-Did you happen to follow a guide found here on Styleforum? Or was it trial and error? (I seem to recall bookmarking some processes I've found on here)

-What brand of dye/stripper did you use?

-Any issues to report? Eg., cracks, dry patches, fading, or any other adverse effects that you can attribute to the re-dye job?

They look truly superb in that picture.

Junior

Reaction score
Wonderful!

I've often toyed with the idea of playing around with stripping a pair of RM's and dyeing them into some more interesting colour. I was always tentative because I was unsure as to whether or not it was possible. Access to lots of seconds in chestnut and black always had me thinking of the possibilities.

-You mention these being brown Wentworths - were they a dark brown? Darker at least than this reddish colour you now have? If so I guess that they were chestnut (good to know that "boring old chestnut" can be altered if so)

-Were they the standard RMW yearling leather? Or perhaps instead the finer calf or even kangaroo?

-Did you happen to follow a guide found here on Styleforum? Or was it trial and error? (I seem to recall bookmarking some processes I've found on here)

-Any issues to report? Eg., cracks, dry patches, fading, or any other adverse effects that you can attribute to the re-dye job?

Thank you for your kind words!

1. The pair were dark brown. Not really sure what type of leather they are made of. IRC they are made of a greasy form of yearling, not greasy kip though. The box is nowhere to be found.
2. Just trial and error. I stripped them first then washed them with leather shampoo. I'm sure there is a guide in the shoe care thread.
3. I used chemically purified gasoline made by a Swedish company called Gripen. I believe Saphir has a equivalent product.
4. No issues so far.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wonderful!

There will always be trial and errors. You will need to be confident. Even if it's complete mess - your shoes are still not ruined. I have re dyed shoes myself . There are heaps of guide in here. If you are in Australia then try using the brand called Waproo . If you want a smooth finish - then use the spray can . If you want a bit of patina looking finish use cotton applicator . Using can easier- and no one will know you have done a home job. Dries quickly and the process is quicker . Hand painting takes a bit longer but once done right will look nicer. Think spray can more formal and hand painting a bit less. With can spray you may get a bit if cracks. Easily fixable . Hand painting less chance of cracks.
Somewhere I also posted a guide as I re dyed a pair of my shoes . Good luck!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics