• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DesmondD

Reaction score
Obenauf leather oil - that's the one!

In that case, it's yearling leather and I would certainly try the leather oil first and see how it goes.

If you're looking to really protect the leather and well nigh waterproof it, you could slap some LP on afterwards.
Obenaufs recommends the leather oil first in order to nourish and condition the leather anyway.

Be aware that if you use the LP, it will almost certainly darken the chestnut colour to something almost black.

DesmondD

Reaction score
Here's a link to another thread showing a pair of Iron Rangers that I oiled and then slapped LP on.

You can really notice how dark they get with two coats of LP

post #552

Silhouette

Reaction score
Greetings.

I know that I might come forth as lazy and that one should discover for himself which size is the most appropriate for him.

However, I'll throw my measurements out there and hope that someone with similar feet can provide me with their advice. As it is, I have no retailers close which could help me with sizing. I should also stress the fact that I don't own; any shoe, from any manufacturer, on a specific last, in a certain size - which I perceive to fit my feet like a glove.

Therefor (from sizeadvisors.com) I give you my measurements in mm.

Left foot: Right foot:
Length 265 261
Ball girth 215 210
Ball width 102 100
Heel width 72 70
Instep girth 240 240
Heel girth 310 310

My preference on lasts is that I want thin, sleek fitting without excessive room. I've looked at measurements for 7 G but have also contemplated a 7,5 F. Preferably a chiseled toe.

I'd also appreciate if anyone who understands physiology could explain why my right foot is smaller than my left. To make matters worse I'm right-footed and should hence have more muscular tissue in it.

It's a longshot but I hope that someone accomodates me.

Kind regards.

Last edited:

DesmondD

Reaction score
With such detailed measurements, you could always send them in to RM Williams and they'll get the right boot for you.
If you check out the made-to-order section of the catalogue, it asks for a trace of your foot as well as the measurements at the 'joint', 'lower instep', 'instep' and 'heel'.

I think the sleekest last on a chisel toe would be the craftsman with a nailed leather sole. Can't remember the exact last number for the craftsman though sorry.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sooner or later in time, it will be in LVMH's hands 100% I imagine, but until then enjoy. At present who knows what direction in pricing it will go, but looking at how the prices go up, it rises every 6 months, with every new season. Where will it end???

It may or it may not. Nobody can say at present. As of right now, though, it's still in Australian hands, and I hope it remains that way.

Silhouette

Reaction score
With such detailed measurements, you could always send them in to RM Williams and they'll get the right boot for you.
If you check out the made-to-order section of the catalogue, it asks for a trace of your foot as well as the measurements at the 'joint', 'lower instep', 'instep' and 'heel'.

I think the sleekest last on a chisel toe would be the craftsman with a nailed leather sole. Can't remember the exact last number for the craftsman though sorry.

Greetings.

Thought I'd follow upp your suggestion with a result that might puzzle or clarify things for other readers and potential buyers.

I did as you proposed and emailed RM Williams directly. A Customer Service Manager named John McMillan responded within a short period of time. I had copy-pasted my conversation here at styleforum and it all came down to the question - "I've looked at measurements for 7 G but have also contemplated a 7,5 F. Preferably a chiseled toe. What should I pick? Given my provided measurements". Mr McMillans reply was "Johan based on the supplied measurements you would be a 7F."

So here I am about to make a MTO with bootsonline.com seeing as F isn't available at any retailer in Europe that I've visited online. I never thought that 7 F could've been appropriate for me. I perceive my feet as to be of normal width or slightly wider than most feet are. If Mr McMillans suggestion is applicable for other brands and lasts as well, then it will revolutionize my shoe-wardrobe. So far I've only worn 6,5 G (Cheaney), 7 E on 337 (C&J, which I perceive to be narrow and long) and these sizes have been 'ok' as opposed to previous recommended sizes of 7,5 or even 8 UK E (which I regretfully hold some in stock and need to offset).

Kind regards,
Johan.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that their sizing seems to be pretty similar to the Loake 1880 range, maybe a pinch wider. Perhaps you could find a pair.

Silhouette

Reaction score
I find that their sizing seems to be pretty similar to the Loake 1880 range, maybe a pinch wider. Perhaps you could find a pair.

Good suggestion. Loake 1880 is actually one of the manufacturers and/or product-lines that I've previously discarded because I haven't found the quality of uppers and existing lasts to be attractive. I will try to find something beneath full RRP.

DesmondD

Reaction score
@Silhouette - Hmmm that certainly is a pickle... but I'd probably be inclined to trust the suggestion from Mr Macmillan if you're not able to get to a store and try a pair.

If it helps you at all, my feet are approximately 275mm long and I found the 8.5F to be a good, snug fit. 9F fit nicely as well. I have reasonably narrow feet and the G width was ok, but F was more snug.

If you have the time to read through, this thread contains that many questions about sizing, I'm sure you could find a few stories about fit from folk with similarly sized feet to yours.

Silhouette

Reaction score
@Silhouette - Hmmm that certainly is a pickle... but I'd probably be inclined to trust the suggestion from Mr Macmillan if you're not able to get to a store and try a pair.

If it helps you at all, my feet are approximately 275mm long and I found the 8.5F to be a good, snug fit. 9F fit nicely as well. I have reasonably narrow feet and the G width was ok, but F was more snug.

If you have the time to read through, this thread contains that many questions about sizing, I'm sure you could find a few stories about fit from folk with similarly sized feet to yours.

Thank you for your reply.

You wearing 8,5 makes sense as, according to RM Williams, every half size up or down in length estimates 0,5 or -0,5 cm. I wonder if I should pick 7,5 F myself after all. No matter. How much do your feet measure in width? What do you wear in other lasts by other manufacturers?

DesmondD

Reaction score
Oh I don't really wear lasts by other 'known' manufacturers haha - don't have any decent shoes really.

However I wear:
US10 in Chucks (with a thick insole) - could go down to a 9.5 if I wanted
US10.5 in Nike running shoes (with orthotics)
US 10 in Sanuk boat shoes
US9.5 in Sperry Topsider A/O
US 9 in Redwing Iron Ranger

icekachang

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with Nungar Trading Co. I placed an order for a pair of comfort craftsman boots with them on Sunday but I have yet to receive any confirmation from them in terms of shipping costs and the like. Have any of you dealt with them? What are their turnaround times like for orders?

DesmondD

Reaction score
^ I placed an order with them about a week ago as well.
Spoke to Steve on the phone and talked about options for a bit, then placed the order and got a confirmation email pretty well straight away.
I think for MTO, he charges the shipping (and everything else) when he receives the boots from the factory.

If you are able to phone him up, it certainly seems that you're more likely to get a response than email.

havingaraveup

Reaction score
If they fit well, you'll love them and have them for years...and a 2 month wait won't matter. I ordered a Goodwear Leather jacket in March...2012. I should be getting the call in the next month to have it made. I was given a 12-15 month wait time and it has even exceeed that. Only 2 months? Please!
biggrin.gif

Yeah I knew I was being petty, but that doesn't mean I'm not super excited to get my RMs. I wanted them for the first week of September, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Anyway, I think for me the desire would be gone after 16 months. I mean there are definitely things I've wanted for that long—I've wanted a wax cotton jacket for 2 years now but I still havent pulled the trigger on one. But I don't think I'd be as happy when I finally got one as I would if I had placed the order so long ago, so I admire your patience, and your maturity. I want instant gratification, and I'm annoyed when I can't get it.

DJackson

Reaction score

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with Nungar Trading Co. I placed an order for a pair of comfort craftsman boots with them on Sunday but I have yet to receive any confirmation from them in terms of shipping costs and the like. Have any of you dealt with them? What are their turnaround times like for orders?

Nungar in my experience has a history of spotty communication at best, but trustworthy nonetheless.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanaBurrell