• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Busa

Reaction score
Okay, obviously I have spent most of my time so far on the Forum reading this thread- I like the block heel having worn cowboy boots in the past, looks and comfort both.

Question- does anyone have a round toe boot like the Turnout with the welted sole and a block heel? I would love to see some pictures of that, I am planning my second pair while waiting on my first to verify fit and sizing...

I first saw the Wentworth in the movie Limitless and immediately fired up Google, and luckily there are enough freaks on the internet that I could find someone who had found out the maker and model and put it online! I want a Chestnut casual boot, unlike the screwed sole black Yearling I already ordered, but I think I will like the bigger heel in this case to add some "clunk" to the boot's character.

So, if anyone has a boot like this that can come out of the closet, can you post some pics pretty please??
smile.gif

PS- The guy in the avatar is named Spartan btw- 50 kilos and much more handsome than my mug so I used his...

Busa

Reaction score
Can someone help a newbie out here? I am planning future purchases already, just waiting to receive my first pair so I know what fits!

Does anyone have pictures of the brown oxhide, and can you tell me how it compares to the yearling in thickness and appearance? I don't want a mirror shine on them, I am looking for a pair of jeans boots in brown leather for my second pair so a matte finish is fine for me... also still looking for pictures of a Turnout or similar with a block heel if anyone has any??

Thanks!

Busa

Reaction score
Help?? Anyone??
smile.gif

Don't tell me I killed this venerable thread all by my lonesome...

Last edited:

Dr P00b

Reaction score
Hi Busa,

I don't have any in the heal that you're after however I have the colour you might be interested in. The boots on the floor are Comfort Craftsman in Chestnut colour. They are a nice, rich dark brown & look great with dark jeans. They actually seem to look great with just about any colour pant except black.

Busa

Reaction score
Anyone have a pair of these type of boots? I have actually read almost all of the thread, no luck...

Okay, obviously I have spent most of my time so far on the Forum reading this thread- I like the block heel having worn cowboy boots in the past, looks and comfort both.

Question- does anyone have a round toe boot like the Turnout with the welted sole and a block heel? I would love to see some pictures of that, I am planning my second pair while waiting on my first to verify fit and sizing...

I first saw the Wentworth in the movie Limitless and immediately fired up Google, and luckily there are enough freaks on the internet that I could find someone who had found out the maker and model and put it online! I want a Chestnut casual boot, unlike the screwed sole black Yearling I already ordered, but I think I will like the bigger heel in this case to add some "clunk" to the boot's character.

So, if anyone has a boot like this that can come out of the closet, can you post some pics pretty please??
smile.gif

PS- The guy in the avatar is named Spartan btw- 50 kilos and much more handsome than my mug so I used his...

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Busa, I don't have a turn out with a large heel. If this is your second pair though I'd strongly recommend a plain chestnut yearling - it is a staple of my own wardrobe and goes with everything.

Busa

Reaction score
Is that the one in your avatar? I agree completely, they do look good. I am completely set on the Chestnut for my next pair, but can't decide between the toe shapes- the narrow medium toe just looks more elegant and dressy than the round. I work in the Middle East/North Africa, and in the summer even business wear is frequently jeans and a shirt untucked to let the breeze blow through, so I will be in jeans at least half the year so I was thinking a more casual look in the Chestnut boot. A Turnout in chestnut with the welted sole, and maybe even the block heel- I may be wrong, but I don't think you can make an RMW boot look TOO casual, except maybe the work boot lines...

If I get the Turnout next, the third pair will have to be another Yearling though...
nod[1].gif

Busa

Reaction score
I know, a lot of questions- has anyone ever ordered boots with matching leather pull tabs in place of the stock ones, so if your pants cuff rides up sitting down you don't have a ridiculous red tag sticking out like the Oz PM did in the picture with Obama?
shog[1].gif

Yeah, I know- Hello everyone, my name is Busa and I'm anal...
biggrin.gif

relayer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the All-Rounder?

As I travel fequently I'm looking for an airport friendly RM boot other than the Dynamic Flex. The All-Rounder fits the bill in terms of airport friendliness and price but is unlined. Not too sure about how hard wearing they are or if they can take a shine.

Busa

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the All-Rounder?

As I travel fequently I'm looking for an airport friendly RM boot other than the Dynamic Flex. The All-Rounder fits the bill in terms of airport friendliness and price but is unlined. Not too sure about how hard wearing they are or if they can take a shine.

I can't even find this on the website! Link, picture anybody??

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, this thread seems to have died so as the resident RMW fanatic I'll pitch in. Beware, I'm no pro.

Busa: Your turnout idea seems like a good one, I don't think you could go wrong either way. As for the tabs - looking at the old MTO catalogue it's not an option but it wouldn't surprise me if you could specify for it. IMO there's nothing wrong with the fabric tag, it's kind of iconic, and it won't get stuck so long as your trouser leg isn't wide enough to constitute a circus tent.

Relayer - don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the rubber sole is airport friendly too. I'd check with your local store.

Brock Zeigler

Reaction score
I have the All-Rounder. Love it! Rugged and kinda dressy. I posted a picture sometime ago. Look under my profile. Think I bought mine from the Stable door on sale.

TKCSA

Reaction score
Some information that I thought might come in handy for those of you who, like me, wear orthotics and are thus usually limited by your shoe choices.

After visiting five different RM Williams stores in Sydney and Adelaide, I have discovered the following:

Every salesperson I spoke to suggested that I get the standard Craftsman, but take the size up by 1/2 - 1 size in order to accommodate the orthotic (in my case, this was a full size). This...kind of works, however do not do this.

My search eventually took me to the R.M. Williams Outback Heritage Museum and store in Prospect (the original factory) and the first thing the salesman there told me was that this was not the advice I should have been given. Instead, the Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman is the model to go for. It has a removable inner sole, and the height of the upper is 2-3mm greater than the standard Craftsman in order to accommodate that.

As a result, it is a matter of simplicity to remove the inner sole and insert my orthotics, while keeping the fit of the rest of the boot perfect for your foot. Having now tried it and experienced the difference between that and the 'bigger Craftsman' solution, the end result has been a perfectly fitting, very comfortable boot (instead of what I can now feel was definitely a compromise solution). Yes, you're stuck with the combination rubber/leather sole, but you can always get the boots MTO (which you will probably have to do anyway if you are going for the veal) or do what I will do, which will be to simply get the sole replaced with a leather screwed sole when resoling is needed.

Last edited:

TKCSA

Reaction score
To follow the above, which I hope somebody may find useful, I had a question.

I really like the look of the 'forum special', but I suspect that my orthotic issue with the standard Craftsman would extend to the rest of the line, and mean that my foot would not fit comfortably into it (the primary problem is the height of the upper, incidentally, as my orthotics are relatively thick in the instep).

For those more knowledgable than I am, is there a solution to this, or am I out of luck? I note that the forum special is based on the Turnout, which does not come in a model with a removable inner sole, so I suspect it is the latter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics