• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gonzo9

Reaction score
Done by Jim’s Shoe Repair in NYC. Only pics. Won’t have them in hand for a while as I’m in transit.

AFE91A25-7143-4CA7-B771-CB946CFB9B46.jpeg
8C606E51-B7DB-4F29-BB8B-277FAB364DEE.jpeg

Yinzer

Reaction score
Perhaps the most mysterious color in the RM Williams catalogue, spice suede. Ordered havana on MTO and got these but only realized it after wearing them for a while and seeing the box label. RMW themselves said spice is discontinued. Looks like a lighter shade of havana in bright light and like havana in dimmer light. Any experts know what the story is with this color? Haven't seen a mention since 2010 in this thread.

rmw.jpg rmw01.jpg rmw02.jpg

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After wearing different G fitting yearling craftsmans over the last 8 years, the uppers have loosened up and conformed to my feet. I can see that my feet are walking over the welt, where the foot forces the upper leather out and over the edge of the welt, I wondered if I should move to H fitting, I tried on the H and G fittings in the store again, both workable. I emailed RM CS and its customer associate provided me the boot last measurements from excel, I realised H fitting also increases the volume of the instep and heel, which will make the boots too loose after the elastic loosen up in my case. I asked for the whole size table and did up an image for everyone's reference.

Boot Last Measurements.JPG

drewzter

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever added a block heel to their Craftsmen boot. Like for their 1st re-sole. The idea intrigues me as the block heel is just a little different than the normal heel and has a nice subtle angle to it.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the most mysterious color in the RM Williams catalogue, spice suede. Ordered havana on MTO and got these but only realized it after wearing them for a while and seeing the box label. RMW themselves said spice is discontinued. Looks like a lighter shade of havana in bright light and like havana in dimmer light. Any experts know what the story is with this color? Haven't seen a mention since 2010 in this thread.

View attachment 1759616 View attachment 1759617 View attachment 1759618

Looks cool, and maybe just like snuff suede?

johnbarfi111

Reaction score
What are the recommended cleaning/maintaining alternatives for Comfort Craftsman in yearling?

My pair are coming up to a year now and I've only been able to access in the Saddle dressing in Canada. I'd like to purchase the leather cleaner and shoe polish, but seeing as the shipping from Australia is pricey, I'm looking for an alternative (or suggestions on how to purchase the R.M. Williams branded product in Canada).

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the recommended cleaning/maintaining alternatives for Comfort Craftsman in yearling?

My pair are coming up to a year now and I've only been able to access in the Saddle dressing in Canada. I'd like to purchase the leather cleaner and shoe polish, but seeing as the shipping from Australia is pricey, I'm looking for an alternative (or suggestions on how to purchase the R.M. Williams branded product in Canada).

You don't need anything branded, it's all the same stuff.

Just get Saphir Revateur for cleaning/conditioning. Brush with a horsehair brush. Then polish if you want.

bemk

Reaction score

I never use Leather Cleaner on my smooth leather boots, I just brush the dry dirt off or use a damp cloth when it was muddy or rainy etc.

I use Leather Conditioner rather sparingly and not often, unless I'm talking winter boots that have seen road-salt.
It's easy to overcondition boots by using product too often and too much of it. The only purpose of conditioning is to keep the leather supple enough that it doesn't crack when it has become too dry. A good, rich polish will already nourish the leather and I know cobblers who say that using polish is all you need to do.
I'm one of those who let's his boots always rest for two days and I don't sweat noteworthy, however, I lightly condition my boots once or twice a year. I only mention this and the nourishing effect of polish to give you an idea, how sparingly you can use Leather Conditioner in my opinion.

Although RM Williams recommends the Saddle & Leather Dressing for their Greasy Kip and Vesta Leather boots, you can safely use it for your Yearling Craftsmen unless these are Aniline (Rum, Warwick or burnished) according to their site. It just won't give you the slight, nice shine after brushing that their Leather Conditioner with it's beeswax supplies and I mean to remember that my Craftsmen appeared a touch darker when having used the Dressing.
Talking of that, please note that using colored polish (concrete RM Williams original matching ones) will darken your boots, see my picture in post #7.015
If you don't need to cover marks and want to keep the natural patina, you could go with a neutral polish instead.

P.S.: If your Yearling Craftsman is Aniline leather, be careful with Saphir Renovateur: The Problem With Saphir Renovateur

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought this pair of seconds on sale at RM Williams outlet, there is a cut on the side of the left toe.
UHU the loose flaps together, masking tap the natural welt.
Sand down the excess glue and uneven leather edges.
Colour in the upper with a brown marker before applying wax and polish. Wax and Polish alone are not enough to match the darkness of the toe.
Use a lighter to melt the wax into the dent.
Still can see the dent under certain light conditions, but generally unnoticeable.
5DD782CB-02C5-4C62-83B7-601347C279DE.jpeg
3D3ECC80-8788-4BD9-982C-2AF6C78E8E88.jpeg
25E7F949-8D4A-44A7-BE3F-546DD343CDDC.jpeg
A516EEF8-B9D7-421E-A3FF-89D138CE8DA4.jpeg

EndlessMike

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with BootsOnline's customer service? I sent an email on Wednesday and have yet to hear back.

drewzter

Reaction score
I never use Leather Cleaner on my smooth leather boots, I just brush the dry dirt off or use a damp cloth when it was muddy or rainy etc.

P.S.: If your Yearling Craftsman is Aniline leather, be careful with Saphir Renovateur: The Problem With Saphir Renovateur

"Renovateur is generally fine on more traditional aniline or vegetable-tanned leathers. But if your shoes are made from crust leather, it can strip some of the color right off. "

This comes from the link you referenced. You either confused or contradicted yourself with this advice, well meaning that it was. I agree with using cream polish. But I also prefer saphir's leather lotion over renovateur as you get more product, its lighter, and more versatile and safe to use on many types of leathers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads